ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bightest L E D side light bulbs are...?

They're never going to be overly bright in reflector lensing. Most people just remove the sidelight bulbs (myself included) and just run Xenons.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
They're never going to be overly bright in reflector lensing. Most people just remove the sidelight bulbs (myself included) and just run Xenons.

Yeah, that's an option I guess. Was keen to keep the sides in though and make an improvement over the O E M bulbs. I figured this WOULD be possible with aftermarket L E D s ??

It is, I guess the more SMD/LED the better. Still, reflector lenses aren't designed for LEDs (or HID kits) so that's why they tend to look pretty gash.

In my glovebox I have a 16SMD bulb. It's bright as f**k! I'd try some sidelight bulbs with a s**t load of SMDs on and see how they are. They're cheap enough on eBay.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
It is, I guess the more SMD/LED the better. Still, reflector lenses aren't designed for LEDs (or HID kits) so that's why they tend to look pretty gash.

In my glovebox I have a 16SMD bulb. It's bright as f**k! I'd try some sidelight bulbs with a s**t load of SMDs on and see how they are. They're cheap enough on eBay.

I think I'll go with that. More L E D s could make quite an improvement. The current L E D bulb which I'm dissatisfied with only has 5.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501-194-t10-anti-bulb-warning-xenon-white-wide-angle-13-leds.html

Ive got these waiting to go in but havent tried it yet. Says they're 195 Lumens which is frankly insane for sidelights which is why i bought them! If you can wait til next weekend when I put my new xenons with these in then I'll let you know if they're worth it or not.

Jon

Im very interested in those! 195 lumens! Way better than mine. I think I might order some of them tomorrow. Much better price than I paid too! Should've shopped around :(

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
2x 1w ULTRA WHITE Xenon LED T10 501 W5W Sidelight Bulbs

I use a pair of these in my interior light, and they are f**king powerful.

I would not recommend fitting them as sidelights though, unless you like blinding people.

These seem interesting too. Have you tried many L E D side light bulbs? If so how do these compare? I'm guessing they're more like the idea of a torch in respect to how the light is emitted as opposed to the 360 degree L E D bulbs?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I've tried quite a few different LEDs..... ;)

The ones I posted are pretty directional, as you said. I haven't tried them in the headlights (because I wouldn't use them personally), but they would probably cause a very bright point of light, but barely light up the reflector around it.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Yeah, I've tried quite a few different LEDs..... ;)

The ones I posted are pretty directional, as you said. I haven't tried them in the headlights (because I wouldn't use them personally), but they would probably cause a very bright point of light, but barely light up the reflector around it.

I think I would probably be better off with a bulb incorporating multiple L E D s for the sake of bouncing the light around in the reflector. That would seem to be the function of the side light anyway rather than creating a direct focused beam.

Youre using these as interior bulbs then? I'm guessing the bulb is angled to create a beam rather than being reflected?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501-194-t10-anti-bulb-warning-xenon-white-wide-angle-13-leds.html

Ive got these waiting to go in but havent tried it yet. Says they're 195 Lumens which is frankly insane for sidelights which is why i bought them! If you can wait til next weekend when I put my new xenons with these in then I'll let you know if they're worth it or not.

Jon

i liked the idea of 195 lumens compared to my measly 36 lumens so I've bought a pair too. Just waiting for them to be delivered. Does say though to keep away from plastics in the head lights.

Black mk3 clio
Those CREE sidelights, i saw on a civic forum that they get too hot to be used as sidelights, is this true as i'd like to get some as they look really bright but don't want them melting stuff. Other than those, what are the brightest sidelights people have on here?

I have these fitted to mine, got loads in my garage (loads of people on here have these fitted to thier cars to)

5b531b66.jpg

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Jon

Just fitted my xenons with these sidelight bulbs and must say I'm impressed! As they use multiple LEDs not a single beam like the CREE ones mentioned, the reflector shines out much more of the light making a wider beam. Good colour too!

182 FF
myt sound stupid but ordered the cree bulbs from ebay using the link how do they fit the clio as the sthpid looking silver bit on the bulb is to big ?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

Jon

Did you buy the above bulbs? I did, had em' in now for around two months or so. Pretty pleased at first, they are certainly bright and the illumination is certainly 360 degrees as stated.

However I noticed they've looked a little dull in the past few weeks. I've taken both out and to my dismay the small L E D spots have fallen off the stem!!:( It looks to be heat that's caused the solder to melt. I'm gonna steer clear of these types of these festoon types for fear of it happen again.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Did you buy the above bulbs? I did, had em' in now for around two months or so. Pretty pleased at first, they are certainly bright and the illumination is certainly 360 degrees as stated.

However I noticed they've looked a little dull in the past few weeks. I've taken both out and to my dismay the small L E D spots have fallen off the stem!!:( It looks to be heat that's caused the solder to melt. I'm gonna steer clear of these types of these festoon types for fear of it happen again.

If they are next to the headlight then this will happen , work well in a clio .

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
If they are next to the headlight then this will happen , work well in a clio .

Admittedly the have been used on my Ibiza mk 4. However they aren't actually next a heat source i.e. the head light bulb. In fact each part of the headlamp cluster is separate for each bulb. So the side light bulbs slot into a sort of tube/cylinder shape. This isn't receiving any heat from any of the other bulbs.

I haven't noticed anything wrong tbh

Ill check them out though! Like you say not very good if they melt! Jon

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

Jon

I just looked at these and i fancy some but by reading the description is the price for 1 bulb on its own @ £5.99 or do you get x2 for £5.99

Cheers

I just looked at these and i fancy some but by reading the description is the price for 1 bulb on its own @ £5.99 or do you get x2 for £5.99

Cheers

Price if for 1 mate. So you need to put 2 in the box. Makes it slightly cheaper if you buy 2 as well, which is what you need anyway!

Jon

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Price if for 1 mate. So you need to put 2 in the box. Makes it slightly cheaper if you buy 2 as well, which is what you need anyway!

Jon

I thought that lol cheers jon there expensive but they must be the b****cks for that price