ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Binding Rear Brakes?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
The Clio had been sat unused from about November and I foolishly left the hand brake on. Came to move it and it was stuck on but managed to free it by driving off.
Used it yesterday and noticed there was a juddering when braking that I could hear and feel through the brake pedal. Brakes feel fine and the car stops - did some emergency stops from 60-0 and it pulled up as expected without pulling to the side. I thought this was just down to lack of use and the discs needing a clean up.

Looked today after 60miles of use and the fronts dsics are all clean but the rears not so. Rear wheels are covered in brake dust (passenger side rear is worse) and the entire disc face hasn't been cleaned up.
Drivers side:
IMG_8430.jpeg

Passenger:
IMG_8432.jpeg
IMG_8433.jpeg

And comparing to the front:
IMG_8434.jpeg

I ran my finger over the rear discs and it isn't scored/pitted where it is still discoloured. Discs and pads were new in 2020 and have probably done 2k miles max.
The hand brake is free as it works - car rolls without it on and then it holds it fine. But I was thinking to WD40 some of the handbrake mechanism to help?

Had 4 new callipers back in October. I haven't used it much since then but didn't notice any odd braking noises when it was done. The onyl thing that was 'right' was leaving the hand brake on for a few months when it was rubbish weather and it had stuck on.

I wiped the rear wheels down and going to take it for a spin tomorrow to see if any new brake dust appears on it.

Any other suggestions??

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The rears are a nightmare for this. Thankfully our driveway is flat and I just leave it in-gear with the handbrake off after I've washed it OR - have been driving in particularly heavy rain.

I don't know of much else that you can do that you aren't already doing?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
It is currently in gear with some chocks under the wheels as my drive has a slight slope to it.

If it needs new rear discs and pads then so be it, but everything seems to be free and moving. Wonder if they have stuck to the discs and that has damaged them in some way.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Don't know if you've sorted this mate but I would say juddering in the brake pedal would point to warped discs.

I would say go for new discs, always best to do pads at the same time but they seem to have plenty of meat left and if they have worn evenly I suppose you could re use them.

You will need to wind the caliper back, peel back the seal around the piston and see if the top of the piston has rusted or the boot has split. If you wanted to lube the caliper up silicone grease is good or any non-water based slippy stuff. Rear rebuild kit is only about £15 if you wanted to go all out!

Hope this helps mate if you haven't sorted it already 😃

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Just whip the rear calipers off and clean/regrease all moving parts, wind the pistons partially out to make sure they are all good, its a very bad design, was crazy back in the day on the 5gt turbos also, they usually require an annual check to keep them in shape

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Don't know if you've sorted this mate but I would say juddering in the brake pedal would point to warped discs.

I would say go for new discs, always best to do pads at the same time but they seem to have plenty of meat left and if they have worn evenly I suppose you could re use them.

You will need to wind the caliper back, peel back the seal around the piston and see if the top of the piston has rusted or the boot has split. If you wanted to lube the caliper up silicone grease is good or any non-water based slippy stuff. Rear rebuild kit is only about £15 if you wanted to go all out!

Hope this helps mate if you haven't sorted it already 😃
These dont warp discs, they just crack them 😂😭

Clio Trophy
I've always had trouble with the rear discs getting grotty. Got a sticky caliper now too myself.

To actually keep them as clean as the fronts you'd have to be doing a lot of hard braking every single week. I always find before long they inevitably look crap.