ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bit of advice from fellow non-sport owners please.

Italian 3.2 V6
Ok so my missus and I share a Mk3 1.5dci - 86bhp. Now don't get me wrong it's cheap as chips to run but there is a couple things which are annoying me. One of two things, it only gets 40-50mpg in general day-to-day driving. Yes it can get 50-60mpg but we need to drive like an absolute granny to achieve that which is irritating, as before buying the car Id hope it would easy easy get above 50mpg.

Now this is my 1st diesel to use on a daily basis.. Is this mpg bad? Am I over reacting at that figure? I always hear these higher powered diesel (100bhp+) achieving 50mpg easily, so to me I'd hope the 86dci we have should be more around the 60 figure on average!? Infact any diesel owner iv spoke to all say they never see less than 50mpg.. So I'm left feeling disappointed and annoyed..

Secondly it's a pretty basic spec dynamic - not even any A/C :( (unfortunately we didn't have much of a choice due to time and money issues, all ok now mind). This also irritates the nipples off me as I can't help thinking I want xenons and half-leather interior etc etc.

So I'm considering getting rid of it and spending a few hundred on upgrading the car for either a near-enough fully spec'd Mk3 106dci or 1.2TCE (providing there as good if not better on fuel). Pref wanting to stick with the mk3 Clio as I have 17" turinis and Coilovers and tbf it does the Job well n fits the bill. Personally I'd rather the tce as it's petrol but if it's low to mid 30's then it's not worth my while

So you 106dci and 1.2tce owners. What kind of mpg do you get..??? Truthful daily mpg please, not what alot of people do and lie to make there car better than what it actually is lol.

Cheers, Piers

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
welcome to mk3 dci ownership!! big heavy buses! i get 48mpg every day in mine but i spend the majority of my day on the wrong side of the road, doing the same driving in my dci100 even when remapped i was getting 55mpg, ive never driven one of the newer 86 ones, but the 106 is a cracking engine, much better than the 100 was (and the 100 isnt bad btw!)

Fiesta ST2
I owned a 1.2 TCe and only got around 28-32 MPG unless driving like a granny which I got 35-38MPG

least in the R27 when I get 22-25MPG its easy to justify..

Ok so my missus and I share a Mk3 1.5dci - 86bhp. Now don't get me wrong it's cheap as chips to run but there is a couple things which are annoying me. One of two things, it only gets 40-50mpg in general day-to-day driving. Yes it can get 50-60mpg but we need to drive like an absolute granny to achieve that which is irritating, as before buying the car Id hope it would easy easy get above 50mpg.

Now this is my 1st diesel to use on a daily basis.. Is this mpg bad? Am I over reacting at that figure? I always hear these higher powered diesel (100bhp+) achieving 50mpg easily, so to me I'd hope the 86dci we have should be more around the 60 figure on average!? Infact any diesel owner iv spoke to all say they never see less than 50mpg.. So I'm left feeling disappointed and annoyed..

So I'm considering getting rid of it and spending a few hundred on upgrading the car for either a near-enough fully spec'd Mk3 106dci or 1.2TCE (providing there as good if not better on fuel). Pref wanting to stick with the mk3 Clio as I have 17" turinis and Coilovers and tbf it does the Job well n fits the bill. Personally I'd rather the tce as it's petrol but if it's low to mid 30's then it's not worth my while

So you 106dci and 1.2tce owners. What kind of mpg do you get..??? Truthful daily mpg please, not what alot of people do and lie to make there car better than what it actually is lol.
I only got 50mpg out of the one I had so don't worry to much as others have said its heavy

106dci mpg won't be much different realy will depend on the type of driving you do. The 1.2TCE will do about 35mpg can do better but so can your dci depends how you drive. I couldn't see any point ever going for a 1.2 TCE from a dci no more power realy in daily use and the power top end isn't that much more a remap would equal it and its cheaper to run mpg wise. If you want to get a petrol you want to get something the dci cannot do.

The gearbox's are terriable though

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Doesn't need a service does it?

One of my mates was getting 60+ in his 02 DCI 65. I was impressed. Almost bought it of him for that reason!

Italian 3.2 V6
Hmm.. Tce is out the question then. So the mk3 106dci is very similar MPG to the mk3 86dci, if so that seems like the better option (more bang for buck etc).

+1 on the s**t box. I hate it lol. I guess the 86 shares the same one with the 106 :(

Service wise it was done 3/4k ago at Renault so everything should be fine on it, due it's major one next FTL!!!

alien green rs133
i had a dci 60 and if i drove like a granny i got 61mpg if i thrashed it i got 60mpg i really dont know how you can get your mpg so low on a dci.

Italian 3.2 V6
^ ino it's rediculas hence why I'm so fustrated by it. Must just be due to the low power and sheer weight of it.

With the price of petrol v diesel I wasn't much worse off in the 182 and that was a joy to drive!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
My girlfriend has a 65 DCi, it used to get between 55-60MPG pre re-map, Post remap it delivers anywhere from 60-70mpg, closer to 70mpg on a run sat at 70. Thats not driving like little miss daisy either

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
^ ino it's rediculas hence why I'm so fustrated by it. Must just be due to the low power and sheer weight of it.

With the price of petrol v diesel I wasn't much worse off in the 182 and that was a joy to drive!

must have missed my post so I'll repeat it. Check your brakes!!! the rears on mk3's are pretty bad for sticking. We freed off a set (mates wife's car) and MPG went right back up to 55

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Of course driving differently affects mpg.

On my Mk2 DCI80 I usually averaged 45ish. Could average 55 if I drove normally but I hooned that thing everywhere. Couldn't even get it below 30 on the Nurburgring! 30.1mpg after 2 consecutive laps!!

182cup & 172 racecar
must have missed my post so I'll repeat it. Check your brakes!!! the rears on mk3's are pretty bad for sticking. We freed off a set (mates wife's car) and MPG went right back up to 55
LOL.everybody ignoring you Dan,but it's worth a look as a lad at work had the same problem on his Campus,rear brakes binding,I had a hell of a job getting the wheel off as the rear shoes had fallen apart and jammed.

Italian 3.2 V6
Sorry dan when I said about it being serviced was meant to be an answer to your post. I just assumed that shouldnt be the problem since it's service but will get it checked out never the less.

i had a dci 86 never went below 50mpg normally it got around 55mpg
best ive seen was 59mpg
these were worked out brim to brim the trip computer is a bit optimistic
mine was used for short runs doing 14miles a day

easy 500miles to the tank 10litres left in the tank just on the red
best car ive owned :(

check the tires if its not been serviced in a while check that run a few tanks of vpower/bp ulimate mine was run on sainsburys diesel an the odd tank of bp ulitmate

i don't think your going to see an improvement with a dci 106 like martin says id only expect 50mpg out of it

Last edited:
A

akimbo-slice

my 1.2 16v gets 35mpg around town and 55mpg on the motor way but that takes some effort to keep it that high.

i use tesco momentum at the moment with the odd tank of bp uitmate.

Clio 182 FF cup'd
I had remapped 1.2TCE, I got about 34mpg driving carefully around town.. That went down to 26MPG on a spirited drive.. On motorways would get about 40mpg.. Decided to buy a 182 since I was putting £65 every 7- 9 days and it wasn’t exactly fast!

Stick with the DCI's i think youll be happy about it once fuel starts to go on the rise again :cry:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
+1 on the s**t box. I hate it lol. I guess the 86 shares the same one with the 106 :(

na mate its a 6 speed, same box that the 197/200 uses but with longer ratios, much better box than the other models ones.

+1 on the rear brakes mine has been in twice about it!