ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black/gold. how to get swirls out when polishing??

182 CLIO SPORT
Hi there, right ok i've polish my car like once a month and i can never seen to get the swirls out?? i only see this in the dark under like but does anyone have any ideas on what cloths or pads to use and what polish wax to use!! I use autoglym and turtle wax at the moment!

Thanks

garymac:D

106 GTi
You may have some joy removing them by hand. Meguiars Scratch X in small areas at a time applied/worked with a folded cotton terry towel worked for me to a certain degree before I got hold of a machine polish. Take a panel at a time each time you wash/clean the car and see how it goes. To do it all by hand is very hard work.

The easist option is to get it machine polished using some decent compounds/polishes.

Broken Diesel Megane :(
with the heather on the hills?

me too, aberdeen mate, nice and cold up here

Haha can't beat it here in the hills lol. you a good 3hour flat out run from me like!! WHAT pc do you have??

its a sonus one, not sure of model. its quite a common one.

if ur willing to travel then would happily do it for you. takes a couple hours to get a really good job but get a brilliant result for your labour.:D

as rich says machine polisher is best bet, really dont like the scratch x stuff :S

http://www.cliosport.net/forum//showthread.php?t=160898

i followed that link and got this affect (bare in mind that this is my first time of using it and only going off Rich's help and other bits and pieces on here. . . )

DSC02730.gif

jamie

106 GTi
A few pics of mine then ;) - like I need asking!

Black cars tend to show off effects other colours can't. They also show up marks that a silver car wont though. So swings both ways.

http://www.richtreen.co.uk/images/winter182/

This was just after a paint clean and sealant by hand in October, had not been machine polished apart from a few odd marks since last Spring.

IMG_4931.jpg

106 GTi
LOL - it would have worn off putting it back in the garage though ;)

Save that kind of stupidness for shows only!

^ not the best picture of what a PC can do. Rich should post up pics of his or do a search, his car is basically a mirror lol.

but richs doesnt need PCing :)

mine did lol

link above is the best thing to see what the PC can do, shows from a really scratched car surface to shiny shiny.

jamie

No I meant the resolution wasnt the best to show off the deepness of the shine.

I want Rich to come round and use my pc and polishes and not go home till it shines like no other.

106 GTi
It had been sat in a muddy field for 2 years, half wet flatted as the painter could not be arsed to finish it so the first port of call was to get it polished and protected.

Photo-0041.jpg

Photo-0040.jpg

The wheels and arches where done when the wheels came off.

wonderful car.

yeah sos was taken with a phone camera hence the look of the photo.

need to get some professional shots done (no im not sad enough to pay, uncle is a pro)

gotta bow down to richs black mirror!

jamie

182 CLIO SPORT
A few pics of mine then ;) - like I need asking!

Black cars tend to show off effects other colours can't. They also show up marks that a silver car wont though. So swings both ways.

http://www.richtreen.co.uk/images/winter182/

This was just after a paint clean and sealant by hand in October, had not been machine polished apart from a few odd marks since last Spring.

IMG_4931.jpg

Jesus thats not even funny by the way, that looks the doggies!!!! i'd be ashamed to put my car near that. i need my car like this!!!!! so where do i start!!!!!!! PRODUCT ETC!!! I have a polisher but its a single head polisher not a twin.

out of interest what mega pixel camera would be best to take good photos of the shine these things give as im having mine done saturday and want to take some pics before and after

Lol if you aim to be as good as Rich you will lose lol. Seriously I view him as the creame de la creme. Plus my cars been driven 48k ;) so its allowed to look battered hehe.

BTW whos is that miami blue 205 Rich in your photobucket, looks sex :D

106 GTi
Jesus thats not even funny by the way, that looks the doggies!!!! i'd be ashamed to put my car near that. i need my car like this!!!!! so where do i start!!!!!!! PRODUCT ETC!!! I have a polisher but its a single head polisher not a twin.

The PC is only single head but it is random orbit which makes it harder to burn through paint as it occilates rather than just spins, and bogs down under pressure to minimize the risk of burning paint.

The first stage after a good wash/clay is a decent machine polish. I used the Poorboys Super Swirl Remover range (SSR) grades 2.5, 2 and 1 on my car initally by the PC with Sonus DAS polishing and finishing pads. I have not used a cutting pad on it to date yet.

106 GTi
That was the very car yes. Big shame they made it a drag race, was a lap of the track when I agreed to the stig driving it.

182 CLIO SPORT
That was the very car yes. Big shame they made it a drag race, was a lap of the track when I agreed to the stig driving it.

Hey up rich i was just looking at washnwax site. is there every thing i need in the detail kit. £68.99.

106 GTi

Well you learn something new everyday, I will say though most of Top Gear is fixed anyway hehe.

It sure was, they ran the mk1 golf a few and it won in the end, guess which one they showed on the show ;)

Gary - Just replied to you PM

Not a bad starter kit, you will have to work hard by hand to remove the swirls with the Laser Buff Scratch and Swirl remover.

it had had of been out on the track i think the 205 would of kicked some serious butt in the bends but the 206 would of cought up on the straights. real shame tho.

i heard that you had some problems with it when that was done but was that just a roomer

106 GTi
It was never a really quick one, my 309 GTi always felt alot stronger throughout the whole rev range. There was not much up with the 205 if anything, it had the stem seals done after it was on the telly, but even after the top end rebuild it still was never really that great (Friday afternoon model for sure!). But was rolling roaded and made 128 brake allegedly.

106 GTi
Damn right, the 206 180's poorness was the reason I stopped owning Pugs and brought a Renault.

rich dont get me started on new pugs. the worst looking new cars ever IMHO not to mention that pug seem to lack the ability to porduce a hot hatch anymore.

anyway back on topic...

im having my car pc'd saturday but how can i prevent swearl marks coming up again.

here is what i use

clean:
Kent wash mit
AG body shampoo conditioner,
megs drying towel
Polish:
AG Super Resin Polish

i also wash with the 2 bucket method but still it seems like im putting swirls on the car.

please remember i live near middle of town with no drive or garage also no side gate to put the hose thru and even if i could we are on a hose pipe ban

106 GTi
Megs Drying towel has been a cause for concern on a few forums for inducing swirls, I would upgrade to a the Sonus or Micropak ones.