ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

blackberry storm owners review thread

there is already a thread containing speculation, peoples thoughts on it pre launch, links etc etc;

can we keep this thread to people who have this phone (not "mates got one and ive had a go").

please could everyone write a brief pros and cons and conclusion and thoughts?

cheers

jamie

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
I got mine over the weekend, and it's a very very nice handset.

Clarity whilst on a phone call is superb for me.

Setting the Storm up for email was simple too, all I had to do was log in to Vodafone and set it up through there. Didn't have to do a thing to the handset so that it would work.

Texting and sending emails using the SureType keyboard mode is really easy to use, and didn't take as long as I had originally imagined to get used to. As of yet, I have not tried the multitap system (which is pretty much like the standard phone style), and the full QWERTY keyboard for while the Storm is in landscape mode isn't too bad either.

I checked the browsing over the 3G connection out yesterday as well, that seemed to be pretty quick for me. Perfectly suitable for my needs, although I don't really use my phone all that much for web browsing. It would have been nice to have the WiFi functionality available, but for me, as I don't browse all that often on my phone, 3G is fine for me. One of my friends that has the iPhone 3G had a play around with it when I saw him, and was impressed with the 3G reception that was received (it was near full) compared to his iPhone (which was down to 0 or 1 bar), although he wasn't going to plan on swapping his phone for this any time soon.

The camera, even though it is only 3.2 MP, is pretty clear. I was surprised by the quality when I took a few photos the night I got it. I haven't tested the video recorder, so I can't really comment on that.

Overall I feel that the BlackBerry Storm is definitely worth the money in my estimation. And that anyone considerring one should definitely go try one in store.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Revels Mum & Sister
It is a VERY nice handset, but after spending an hour with one I dont like it. A blackberry IMO needs a full qwerty keyboard with buttons!

As for the 3G reception, assuming your mate is on O2 and you are on Vodafone that would explain the differing signal strength. A 3G mast needs to have a provider specific panel on it

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
It is a VERY nice handset, but after spending an hour with one I dont like it. A blackberry IMO needs a full qwerty keyboard with buttons!
Yeah - my works BB has the full qwerty keyboard, which works a lot better for what I use it for. I don't think the Storm is right for works stuff, but personal is ok.

As for the 3G reception, assuming your mate is on O2 and you are on Vodafone that would explain the differing signal strength. A 3G mast needs to have a provider specific panel on it

Yeah, he is on O2, and I told him that that was probably the reason anyway, but thought I throw it in my review anyhow.

3 x Renaults + Lexus
I have just got 2 The biggest issue i had was with the case i put it in the Vodafone case pulled it out and it snapped the bottom right button.

Push screen takes a bit to get used to and for people that type loads its not quite there yet.

Not as easy to sync as my HTC touch

But the screen quality is amazing just watch some video on it..WOW

Revels Mum & Sister
Done tonnes of reseach on this comparing it to the iPhone...

Storm FTW!

IMO you can do ALL the research you like but there is no comparison to actually testing them. Not everyone is the same. The only thing you can gleem is features.

My advice is get a hands on with the Storm.

Golf GTi Mk2
Is the storm available as an upgrade on Voda? I have a £35 p/m contract, which i normally end up paying about £45 for, which is up on the 1st of Jan and was wondering what the chances are of upgrading to one? Any voda people on here that can advise.
Apparantly i can upgrade upto 70 days early aswell, is this true?

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
Is the storm available as an upgrade on Voda? I have a £35 p/m contract, which i normally end up paying about £45 for, which is up on the 1st of Jan and was wondering what the chances are of upgrading to one? Any voda people on here that can advise.
Apparantly i can upgrade upto 70 days early aswell, is this true?

If you manage to do the same as me - you'll be able to get a £45 p/m contract (900 mins, unlim texts, unlim internet (500mb), BB email) and the Storm for free.

well mine finally came today.

seems a little hard to use? some applications seem very tedious, the typing can be a little dozy too! bluetooth seems the worst though. it takes forever to work out where the hell the photos are that you want to send from the computer ie right click and send to bluetooth device. but then again i have both a new comp and a new phone so i guess it will just take time to get use to them both!

all in all great little device, but maybe more of a gimmick rather than a "must have"

jamie

Honda. Tesla Someday

seems a little hard to use? some applications seem very tedious, the typing can be a little dozy too! bluetooth seems the worst though. it takes forever to work out where the hell the photos are that you want to send from the computer ie right click and send to bluetooth device. but then again i have both a new comp and a new phone so i guess it will just take time to get use to them both!

all in all great little device, but maybe more of a gimmick rather than a "must have"

jamie

I am in the dilemma of choosing between an iPhone and a Storm. Would you have rather got an iPhone?

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI

jamie

Ive had mine since launch and i took a little while to get used to it but i now love it. Top phone IMO

I've been looking at these and also the Samsung i900 Omnia. I'm considering a change from the iPhone scene. It's brilliant but I'm bored of it.

The lack of Wi-Fi in the Blackberry makes it an impossible choice for me.

It will be a top phone eventually but by then it will be too late, the abysmal policy of releasing a handset which is still plagued with issues will sadly ruin it's reputation before it's even started.

I sent mine back on the 13th day of the 14 day return policy. In all that time it worked properly for a very short period of time. I was very disappointed with it as it's potential to be great really is there. I was tempted to keep it until the niggles were fixed but the appaling way in which I was handled by Vodafone was the last straw.