ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bleeding Brakes

Titanium F/F 182
I've read all the posts about bleeding brakes but what I want to know is how easy is it really? I've read up on the self bleeding kit from halfrauds and been quoted £58 from Reno. If this job is fiddly then I'm knackered. I have fingers like party sausages and tieing my shoelaces is a task. Alternatively somebody round St. Helens wants to do it I'll pay. Not as much as the dealers tho!:rasp:

R35 GTR
Easy mate, cost me £25 all in to do myself. £20 for 2 litres of castrol dot 4 and £5 for a new cap for the brake fluid reservoir after I left it sitting on the exhaust manifold. ;)

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Whip all the wheels off, get someone to sit in the drivers seat. get them to pump the brake pedal and mentain pressure, undo any bleedscrew (8mm spanner i think), pedel will drop to the floor, tell them not to bring it up til you say, tighten the nipple, he can now lift the pedal.

Do this 10 times or so per corner, dont let the brake fluid drop below the min. Thats the cheapest way to do it, 2L will cost about 10 - £15 for good brake fluid (DOT 4)

Else

Buy a bleed kit and follow instructions.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sokett said:
I've read all the posts about bleeding brakes but what I want to know is how easy is it really? I've read up on the self bleeding kit from halfrauds and been quoted £58 from Reno. If this job is fiddly then I'm knackered. I have fingers like party sausages and tieing my shoelaces is a task. Alternatively somebody round St. Helens wants to do it I'll pay. Not as much as the dealers tho!:rasp:

Its dead easy mate . Get yourself one of the one man eezibleed kits from Halfords , get 2 litres of good brake fluid , likedave3141 says castrol respones dot 4 , always better to have some extra just in case you have a bit of a spill .

I just take one wheel of a time .

8mm spanner for cracking open the bleed nipples on the front , can't remember off the top of my head but for the back brakes you might need a 9mm spanner .

Just follow the instruction with the easy bleed kit or have a read of a haynes manual , its the same principle for all cars .

Just be careful when your tightening the bleed nipples back up , you don't need to tighten them up very much , if you overtighten them they can and do snap easily .

Just make sure the fluid is running clear i.e no bubbles and its done . Once you've done it once , next time is a piece of cake .

Have a go yourself and save paying silly money to Renault ;)

Personally i just a small rubber tube from a local motorcare shop , costs about 60p with one end blocked and a small split in it to allow the fluid to pass out and no air to syphon back in . Make sure the end of the tube is in a container / jar with some old fluid in and below the level of the fluid . This stops any air being syphoned back .
Its easier with 2 people using this method but you can do it on your own .

I just take one wheel off at a time .

Last edited: