ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloke reversed into my Trophy. What would you do?

034a1a8333eed3797224e6ca9cb6a56e.jpg

f3a3007c9aa94a0edd1b61e2a67be4ac.jpg

487d460151e9c62ca018a26885366d48.jpg

4a63c05d255c2520707354df5e606594.jpg

a67561a7ee1c36c5607618c9a09679d2.jpg

Basically I was in Royal Mail car park picking something up and as I was leaving an honest , friendly looking chap came over and told me he'd hit my car and to have a look. Upon first inspection the damage was minimal, it looked looked like his paint on mine and vice versa. However, I pointed out to him that it had taken paint from my bumper and the scratches and scuffs were quite deep.

Now, my fromt bumper does already have a small amount of damage on it at the bottom and also a few small stone chips which means it's not in absolutely mint condition. However, these additional scratches etc were not my fault and obviously I didn't really want them there as the black one in particular stands out where my red paint has come off.

We swapped details anyway but he only gave me his name and address which I don't think will be a problem as he lives local.

My options seem to be:

- Ring the insurance and let them deal with it (and get stung on renewal/no claims)
- Write to him and see if he'd like to offer anything towards a repair
- Leave it and have a worse looking bumper than before

Obviously I'd be annoyed if I had a minty mint car but with it already having a few (not obvious but I know about them) scratches and chips already then it just looks a little more battered than it did before.

I was tempted to just leave it due to his honesty but they are a little worse looking than I originally thought. Here is what my iPhone could quickly capture.

7cc1bd2ffa2051093bfcb36c65ff5483.jpg

Mini GP2
Do you know who i did it ? do you have their details etc.... ? surely its an offence to drive away without leaving details..... ?

ETA - just seen your post above.

I would have it re painted and speak to Adam about some new front grilles or get the back to black on them :p

Listerine & Poledo
Insurance claim, or accept it's an 8yr old car and thing like this will happen.

Do a confused.com on what your insurance could be if you went down the claim route, it may not be as bad as you're expecting.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd speak to him and ask for money to paint the bumper.

Sod going through insurance - really not necessary... IMO anyway. It'll cost both parties a fortune in the long run.

Get a quote or three and give him some figures. Get the money off him and then decide if you're going to paint it ;)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Dont go through the insurance, pita all round. Get a couple of quotes for the bumper to be repainted and go from there.

End of story imo.

Megane 225 f1
If it were me I would speak to him and possibly look at getting a quote from a bodyshop and going halves, bearing in mind you say there is some defects with the bumper already which were not his fault and obviously the damaged which he caused.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I've seen that little pushed in part pulled out with a heat gun before... Slowly warming the plastic and will a little help it can return to its original shape..

As said, find a painter quote, show him and see if he's happy to pay.. If it was a £1000 of damage then it's a job the insurance, but Id you claim it's a tick against your car and he losses his no claims, or at least has to pay the excess anyway...

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If it were me, i'd go round to his house and knock his teeth in and then shag his wife... but i'm a CSer

In reality though there's nothing you can do that won't result in you paying out money. Personally, did deep and have it repaired at your cost (or do the insurance thing and pay out more but in instalments at renewal). I have a customer with a V plate Megane as a daily for this very reason. Nice cars attract knuckle dragging types that seem to cause damage to other peoples property, except it's never their fault.

Megane 225 f1
If it were me, i'd go round to his house and knock his teeth in and then shag his wife... but i'm a CSer

In reality though there's nothing you can do that won't result in you paying out money. Personally, did deep and have it repaired at your cost (or do the insurance thing and pay out more but in instalments at renewal). I have a customer with a V plate Megane as a daily for this very reason. Nice cars attract knuckle dragging types that seem to cause damage to other peoples property, except it's never their fault.

Lol! Reverse into his car after you have shagged his misses!

Thisd happend to my GTI. Really nice older guy, gave me his details. The only difference was my GTI was mint and left some quite big scratches.

Dont go through insurance! As already said, get two quotes and ask him for a 50% contribution (given it wasnt mint before anyway).

If he's resonable, he will pay. If not, contact an accident solicitor and get them to sort it. Dont contact your insurer though as they will class it as an accident, even when its not your fault, and even if you dont make a claim.

Been there and done it.

The only thing is that he didn't leave his contact number so I'd have to either go round (which I don't want to do) or write to him and possibly include some body shop quotes for the repair. Would that be a good idea?

Thanks for the replies so far, it's always nice to hear others' opinions and there can be some good advice/reasoning on here.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'd just wait for a second hand bumper to turn up and put that on. I know that may take a while though.

How's your neck? (on the wind up)

Listerine & Poledo
One point which has only been skirted over.
You can't reasonably expect the offender to front the entire cost of a respray on a panel which, as you said, wasn't exactly concourse fresh.
It may be worse now than it was before, but it was still an 8yr old Clio with as many stone chips and scuffs as any other (which hasn't spent its life under a heated blanket)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
But, the chap will be panicking so the chances are he will just say ok, unless its a daft amount. Id be amzed if he questioned a realistic bill.

I liked the 50/50 idea which seems fair enough and I get a cheaper bumper spray out of it. I had another quick look on my break at work and the scratches are quite deep (to the point where they wouldn't polish out) so I'll say that he's welcome to have an inspection of the damage of his own.

I may write to him and leave my contact number so I don't appear confrontational.

Split the cost of repainting the bumper? i'd just say it needed doing but now it needs doing sooner so you would be willing to split the cost.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
JMNgW1d.jpg

Also worth checking that the parts above in yellow havent snapped. I have seen these snap quite easily and worth checking by getting your fingers under and gently lifting to see if there is any separation.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Isn't there x amount of time you have to report it to insurers? Letter would long it out. Just pop over there.

dan's cast offs.
that's a £50 repair, tell him it's going to cost £150 but you'll split it down the middle with him for being so honest, this will leave you with £25 for a takeaway tea:smile:

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
go round be polite,and as above get some cash ,bet he would rather that than claim insurance best of luck

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know where people get the idea that there insurance will jump up for making a none fault claim?
Not saying you should go necessarily through them but if you do you shouldn't get stung come renewal.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I still say it will be faster to just take your car to a local body shop and say "can you repair and paint this please"

It'll cost you £120-180 tops

Toby, even if you don't claim you are more of a risk to the insurer as you've had a bump - regardless of fault!

Agreed though, that if you shop around at renewal it shouldn't really affect you but the same insurer usually puts the premium up.