ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody Thunder and Lightening

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Bloody Thunder and Lightening blew my home phone, modem and wireless home hub.

I heard the home hub pop and it smelt of burning, BT are useless you get to speak to a man in india.

got some crappy home phone and my land line works, got a new modem but no internet.

how fooking annoying

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That's proper weird. I've literally just been out in the back garden mowing the lawn, could hear next door giving someone an earful on the phone. The same thing happened to theirs. Missed me though, boss.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
right pain as im suppose to be working from home today, am currently round parents

SQ5
Dad got struck last year, directly on the BT pole outside his house. His router had blown with black bits on it and the next three houses down the line had the same thing!

I remember the good old days of having to remove the aerial feed from the one TV in the house in case it got struck!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Took an hours and being transfered to four different departments to get new equipment sent out

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Can any offer any advice?

My setup was white BT umm modem i think and BT home hub 3.

As I'm on infinity BT have said I need their modem not any old modem

What does the white modem that goes with the home hub 3 dish out? It has a lan port on the back which you plug into the home hub.

I've got a friends white box/modem could I plug this into any wireless router and get working Internet?

Can any offer any advice?

My setup was white BT umm modem i think and BT home hub 3.

As I'm on infinity BT have said I need their modem not any old modem

What does the white modem that goes with the home hub 3 dish out? It has a lan port on the back which you plug into the home hub.

I've got a friends white box/modem could I plug this into any wireless router and get working Internet?

Yes you can do that, so long as you have the white openreach modem then you 'can' plug any router into it to get it up and running, Baring im mind you will need your FTTC circuit log in details from BT. usually something like username - 'someone@btinternet.com Password - 12345678 or something random. this is so the router logs into BT's Radius server.

BT say you have to use theres as it comes with this already entered but you can request the details from them, ive done it with my BT FTTC :)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ah I see, so I need to log into the tplink wireless router and put my details in?

225 Cup & Williams
Lightning......just saying.

Surge protection isn't a 100% guaruntee to protect from a strike.

I fit lightning conductors for a living and even they don't fully protect a building from damage.