ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blown Spark Plug Clio 172 Phase 2

Hi, I am new to posting. I have a slight problem. Last Night my clio 172 blew a spark plug out (although I am not sure as I have not had a look at them yet) I have read a lot about helicoils but am Not sure if it is something I should attempt or should get a mechanic to do it if it has stripped the threads. Opionions welcome.

PH2 172 & 182
ideally, the head wants to come off to fit a helicoil. it'll drop swarf down into the chamber otherwise. i wouldnt send it to a mechanic, i'd get the head off and take it to an engineering place. a decent helicoil set isnt particularly cheap either

where in devon are you? i know someone in exeter who should easily sort it for you

Thankyou for the Welcome. I am hoping I can just go out to it take it apart and that it has not stripped the thread but if it has it will need a helicoil. I do have a friend who is a mechanic who does all my car stuff I just didn't want to bother him as he is really busy and thought I may be able to do it myself but if the head needs to come off there is not chance of me doing it. :(

PH2 172 & 182
some people may say the head doesnt need to come off, but i would be. it's a bit of extra hassle but far reduces the chance of further damage

The last thing I want to do is drop anything into the head. Did think It might be an easy job but sounds like I will have to get the car towed back to my work and pester him to fix it for me. Thanks for your help.

Thankyou

Just a quick thankyou to the guys that replied to my last post about my sparkplug blowout. For once I was lucky and it did not do any damage to the threads, just smashed the HT lead apart. New set of spark plugs and New HT and she is good to go :)

clio 182
probebly used cheap plugs mate,people are getting quite alot of problems with the bosch super 4 doing same thing

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fit a new set of genuine plugs, torque them up (65nm iirc) and go from there.

I wouldn't be taking the head off. I've had two done at a local engine place in the past, threadserts, and both are still going strong.

Danny at 519 automotive talked me through it and recommended it.

Cheers for the reply, Went out to look at the car last night and although it seems to have blown the sparkplug out and destroyed the HT Lead, The thread seems to be fine, Only time will tell when I put it all back together later. On another note I have a loud banging when the car wheel spins, I have read this is due to a worn engine or gearbox mount, anyone have any Ideas on that?

172 cup
Wasnt the second plug from cambelt end was it? i had a helicoil on my old one and was fine, head stayed on and did an oil and filter change at same time.