ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blueflame a few months on; mixed feelings

Nissan 350Z
So, I got the blueflame exhaust done what must have been approx 2 or so months ago now, perhaps slightly longer, and its been on the car long enough for me to form some fairly solid opinions and observations.

First off, lets start with the positives. It looks significantly better and more "meaty" than the standard "pea-shooter" style exhausts. It also subjectively seems seems a bit keener in the performance terms. Oh, and it was cheap....

Now, the negatives, and what I would like is for people with blueflames to chime in here and say whether their experience matches mine.

For starters, when the car is cold, it seems even more lumpy than before, when you lift off the throttle it feels somewhat jerky now, and sounds like it could be slightly misfiring (small popping noises). This of course, improves once the car is warmed up so that in effect, it becomes a non-issue, although its still ever so slightly noticable sometimes.

However, for me the biggest issue has to be the way it sounds. Don't get me wrong here; it sounds pretty good at full chat, although the jury is out as to whether its really any better than standard. When driving at low revs, and at a slow rate, its not too bad. However, start driving with intent, and it changes significantly. First off, although not exactly unexpected, it does / can have a tendency to be quite boomy. However, the thing that bugs me the most, is that at low to medium revs, in particular between about 3K and 5K, the exhaust sounds rather raspy / farty. This characteristic diminishes once the car comes on cam. However, as you will understand, the car spends more time at low to mid revs than it does on cam....

Now, I've read other people describing these exhausts as raspy as well, so I'm thinking that, perhaps, its not just my exhaust, but in fact just the way they are. However, I'm increasingly of the opinion that its not a desirable sound.

Unfortunately, I'm now of the opinion that this system, whilst clearly louder than the standard system, does not IMO sound any better. In fact, I could say you could actually argue the standard system sounds better, as it did not exhibit this "fartiness / raspiness" that the blueflame have. The biggest sin committed by the standard system was simply that it was a little too quiet, however, in hindsight, I'd probably put the car back to that kind of sound if I had the option.

Now, I did always feel that the car could sound a bit louder and more aggressive than it did as standard, however, now it just sounds, well, louder. Not really more aggressive though. Just more boomy and raspy. To be fair, it does actually sound quite good still at full chat, although to me, it kind of did sound alright before anyway. However, the way the exhaust has changed the sound, for me, isnt quite in keeping with the car. Sounds a bit chavvy for my liking.

I think in hindsight, to get an improved note, had I known what I know now, I might have just stuck with the standard system, and got a simota and just left it at that - I'm sure that would have improved the sound in more the right way.

I'm going to stick a simota on anyway in the hope that it improves the sound to the point where I am perhaps not noticing it as much, but overall, I've got to say that I am a little disappointed with the exhaust.

So what do fellow blueflame owners think?

Golf R soon...
Some people don't half waffle don't they :clown:

Joking...Seriously though good review.

Had my blueflame on for about 2 months now and I completely agree with you.

I rather like the boomy sound though gives the car the attention it deserves

I am too thinking of putting a Simota IK on my car, just waiting for the right price to come along at the min, haven't found anything under £180 yet.

DazG

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
pbirkett said:
I think in hindsight, to get an improved note, had I known what I know now, I might have just stuck with the standard system, and got a simota and just left it at that - I'm sure that would have improved the sound in more the right way.

I'm going to stick a simota on anyway in the hope that it improves the sound to the point where I am perhaps not noticing it as much, but overall, I've got to say that I am a little disappointed with the exhaust.

So what do fellow blueflame owners think?

well thats exactly what i did, ditched my exhaust and now have a modded airbox, sounds just like a open filter...

much nicer to live with. IMO the standard exhaust is good. I know its made from kitcat wrappers etc, (made from w**k materials) but in terms of performance, they must be pretty good, as bolting on an aftermarket exhaust rarely gives good gains....... and most aftermarkets are far too boomy ,noisy to live wwith day to day

fitted mine to my 172 around May time so it has had a good time to bed in. Unfortunatly I'm of the same opinion that it is too loud but not in a good way - it seems that in normal driving it is too boomy ??

I would like to add a couple of questions to the thread if possible :-

1. Does anyone have any pictures of how theirs is connected at the back ?? - mount wise

2. Maybe I've just got used to the car now, but it feels slower if anything and I have lost the kick I used to get at 5k - do you guys still get the kick ??

If I get chance tomorrow I will up some pictures of mine for the people that are thinking of purchasing one

thanks,

mitch

RenaultSport clio 18
i have this exhaust but i have decated it aswell, best thing i have done.
it is very loud but gets alot of praise for the noise it makes, every1 sayes how gud the think it sounds.
but then i am young so anything 2 show off lol

ant

yep.
must be a 182 thing. the one on my 172 sounds great, a really deep burble, not farty or raspy at all!

and how can an exhaust cause a missfire?

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup
I've only had my prospeed on since Friday and its getting on my tits already:( Which is a shame as it looks spot on. I went for a mid sport sound which I was told should be just enough to know I have sports exhaust but not too loud. Having the same problems as mentioned above, really boomy when pulling away and low rev region but sounds more agressive at the top end. Going to give prospeed a ring tomorrow to see what they can do as I can't live with it like this for another month.

tiTTy & SV650
blueflame has grown on me hugely, hated the sound at first, hate that at 80 in 5th its noisy as fook, but at 70 its not. i sit at 80 on most types of roads bar 30 / 40 / 50 mph limits lol

Through the revs it sounds great, i followed a chav in a corsa today his exhaust was sooooooooooooo much louder I had a laugh booting it in 2nd letting people hear a real roar.

burbles on startup, which is nice. its not loud at all if you drive sedately, definitely has improved driveability, low down torque seems up as it pulls better at low speed in 2nd for example.

I really like the fit and style too, looks very much the part.

love the noise it makes as I change down, its not chav its a bit of character.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
think mines brilliant. cheap as chips. excellent fit (done at bf itself tho) sounds ace on low revs when 'popping' in my opinion. only thing i bit iffy with is that it looks too big and low down from the back (the box not the pipes) and its a bit droney on motorway. but theyre little problems, im well impressed with it. and for first time in my 9 yrs of driving, its the only time an exhaust has made my car more pokey (but that may be down to havin a knackered std zorst i dunno.

Nissan 350Z
Thanks for the comments.

As I say it does seem to have made the car just a tad nippier, its just the sound that i feel i dont get on with. Perhaps this is down to unrealistically high expectations, I dont know... not really sure if any sport exhaust would do it for me... I remember when rory started the group buy thread and eventually on there a video was posted, and for me, from what i hear in the car, it doesnt really sound like the one in the video.... mind you i have my suspicions that the car in the video may have had an induction kit or some other mod as well.

I'm going to get the induction kit and see if that helps. I dont mind loud... but I do want to like what I hear, and at the minute, I only like what I hear at 5,000 RPM + or when starting up...

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
I don't have a blueflame but from what i've read they seem a good cheap option for an aftermarket exhaust.

I think we need to understand that....cheap. It's not going to sound like a 900 pound orbisound for 250 is it?? A guy commented on this thread who's had a prospeed which cost 450 upwards and is complaining of the same problems as a blueflame yet he paid 200 more.

You pay your money you take your choice i guess.

Focus ST
Dubai182 said:
I don't have a blueflame but from what i've read they seem a good cheap option for an aftermarket exhaust.

I think we need to understand that....cheap. It's not going to sound like a 900 pound orbisound for 250 is it?? A guy commented on this thread who's had a prospeed which cost 450 upwards and is complaining of the same problems as a blueflame yet he paid 200 more.

I agree with you pay for what you get, and I believe the blueflame was an excellent buy. Although it has given me the bug for modding now.

tiTTy & SV650
as for lifting off, its free'er flowing so it's less restrictive when you lift off, the old exhaust choked it, and if you lifted off when driving enthusiastically (in a straight line usually! lol) then you could really feel the exhaust struggling, labouring almost. But the larger pipes of the blueflame really help it here IMO, I dont feel like my exhausts about to break itself anymore.

looks 10000000 times better than the standard ones, burble on startup makes u grin, I've had no negative comments from people who have seen / heard it, I'm the negative one usually saying "oh I dunno, its a bit loud..." then you see Saxo's and Corsas with really loud systems and you think naaaaaah its fine!

ST
Hmmm both blue flame systems on the 182's i've heard do sound a little to high pitched n farty for me....more a k&n open filter sound than a nice deep exhaust tone.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
oh yeah the only other bummer 4 me was that i cant hear my ind kit anymore :(
as for the group buy, i heard nothin about that decat from em. i give up.

tiTTy & SV650
yeah was a nightmare getting the product from them as you say, not much use if they cant be arsed to satisfy orders.

Tangoed Works
All about the shed m/sport btb. Listen, to their vid of it hardly makes any unnecessary noise at all. Think this will be what I will go for.

tiTTy & SV650
the blueflame 182 vids, dunno what induction kit he has (if any), they never answered when I asked. But the acceleration vid sounds different cause the guy has his foot on the throttle as he starts it, hence its different. The driveby doesnt sound that different to mine though.

th_RenaultClio182Accelerationmov.gif

th_RenaultClio182Drivebymov.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Dubai182 said:
.A guy commented on this thread who's had a prospeed which cost 450 upwards and is complaining of the same problems as a blueflame yet he paid 200 more.

since when do prospeeds cost 450 upwards? :S

mine was 280 for a cat back?

M135i, 118 coupe
Ive had my blueflame on for two weeks now doesnt sound alot loader but gives it that nice sporty noise it needed.People who get in my car dont think it sounds any different, although one problem.When the guys fitted my exhaust i got it home and realised the left pipe was almost touching the plastic surround dont know if thtas fitting or blueflame design so it going back to be corrected.Im tempted by a decat but is it that loud???

tiTTy & SV650
well mine sits perfectly even either side, very well fitted and the guy commented that it was one of the better off the shelf items he'd fitted.

blueflame made changes before the majority of us got ours, I think it was the first 2 or 3 people who got theirs delivered who got the older design which wasnt as easy to align

Alan said:
Hmmm both blue flame systems on the 182's i've heard do sound a little to high pitched n farty for me....more a k&n open filter sound than a nice deep exhaust tone.

K&N's dont sound farty and raspy mate... they have a real roar to them..

my 182 also runs like crap on start up, but once ive done about 500m, its ok, so not a huge problem.. and i agree about the raspy sound, it is, but not sure if there is anyway to change it..

182taunton said:
Ive had my blueflame on for two weeks now doesnt sound alot loader but gives it that nice sporty noise it needed.People who get in my car dont think it sounds any different, although one problem.When the guys fitted my exhaust i got it home and realised the left pipe was almost touching the plastic surround dont know if thtas fitting or blueflame design so it going back to be corrected.Im tempted by a decat but is it that loud???

Decat didnt make much difference to mine mate, just pulls ever so slightly better

is it usual that the blueflame exhausts get louder the hotter they get ?

when I start out in the morning it is fine, but after a few miles it starts getting boomy - is this normal

(on a 172)

mitch

RS Megane DCi 175
ant said:
must be a 182 thing. the one on my 172 sounds great, a really deep burble, not farty or raspy at all!

and how can an exhaust cause a missfire?

Gotta say mines the same, but am down a bit on litreage with a 1.2 :eek:
I'm made up with mine, love it - mine picks up a bit quicker now, sounds/looks much nicer and has improved my MPG! (Whether that's due to the exhaust or indirectly through me changing the way I drive it I'm not sure - probably the latter.)

Dirty E91
rory182 said:
well mine sits perfectly even either side, very well fitted and the guy commented that it was one of the better off the shelf items he'd fitted.

blueflame made changes before the majority of us got ours, I think it was the first 2 or 3 people who got theirs delivered who got the older design which wasnt as easy to align

That would be me then!

Mines sits slighty lower on the left hand side pipe for some reason, not really fussed as it's only by a small margin.

IMO I think the blueflame is a improvement over the std system looks and sound wise(does the standard system have a exhaust note?), it also feels like it pulls a lot easier through the revs. Not had any fatring noises and wouldn't consider it to be raspy.

Btw if you sit at 90 in 5th (about 4k revs?) it's lovley and quite, only gets noisey when you accelerate hard which is fine by me.

Iam tempted by the Miltek mind you!