ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMS Shifter

Seen a few people with the BMS shifter which I think will be a better option for me over the more 'becauseracecar' PMS, but just wondered does this still use the standard Renault housing? Does it use Scenic bits? I don't really know anything about them!

Also, where can I buy one!? Struggling with this compared to the easily accessible PMS version

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Its just an adapted scenic shifter.. a guy on here and FB pages makes them.. but not very often iirc.

I went for Scenic shifter/yanoo stiff shift as it looks more 'oem+' imo.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Seen a few people with the BMS shifter which I think will be a better option for me over the more 'becauseracecar' PMS, but just wondered does this still use the standard Renault housing? Does it use Scenic bits? I don't really know anything about them!

Also, where can I buy one!? Struggling with this compared to the easily accessible PMS version
I've started documenting the build of scenic shifter in my build thread. It's simply a scenic shifter, that's been stiffened, bent more towards the driver and extended by 1 inch/0.5 inch (ish) at the bottom.
I believe you can just use a short shifter and not have to extend the bottom as it's essentially the same thing. Stiffening up wise, i'll be trying some methods soon.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
As above.. if you want true racecar go PMS for a bit extra.

IMG_2130.JPG

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I've got a BMS in mine. Had it a few years now and I'd definitely recommend it over standard. Just having it higher and bent back is so much better, no longer have to be stretch arm strong to change gear.

Never used or been in a car that's got a PMS so couldn't compare or comment on them.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Pms is awesome, I sold mine to release some money as I was selling the car, well thinking about it. I’m back to the original set up.

RB Clio 182
The pms really does feel brilliant, it feels like a totally different box, it just slots and snaps into gear like a proper racecar!

The PMS is a great bit of kit i totally agree and i'm not bothered about the additional cost to get one, I've seen close hand the one in @T9 0LLE 's car and it does exactly what it says on the tin. BUT...... it's too 'race car' for me @Davyy , I don't drive my car hard enough to get the full gain from it plus I don't want the associated vibrations and noise. Thought the BMS would be good middle ground?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I've started documenting the build of scenic shifter in my build thread. It's simply a scenic shifter, that's been stiffened, bent more towards the driver and extended by 1 inch/0.5 inch (ish) at the bottom.
I believe you can just use a short shifter and not have to extend the bottom as it's essentially the same thing. Stiffening up wise, i'll be trying some methods soon.
Exactly this, in fact I suspect it was our FB discussion on the same subject?#

IMO best budget route is:
Scenic linkage (£20-60 used) - this raises pivot point and extends knob towards driver. You can add a small bend back which brings it even closer to driver, reducing time and distance to go between wheel and knob.
The extra length of the scenic stick means the throw is slightly increased, so adding a £25 ebay quick shift brings the throw ratio back to standard, maybe slightly shorter. Ebay
Then 2 choices,
1) £6 refurb kit for the get stick (replaces the rubber and the nylon ball joint) this just ensures any play in the old scenic stick is reduced to what it left the factory with. Ebay
OR
2) £70-90 on a DP/yanoo 1, 2 or 3 stiff shifter. These can be brought from this guy linky.

So can be done for under £60 if you bargain hunt.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Haha Yeah, I'm Louis Walker on Facebook.

Shifter wise, I believe an oring can be placed between the two plastic top hats that house inside the ball (linked above) to add some more tension and tighten it up. I presume this is how the BMS ones are done as it can't be anything too complicated or there would be no profit in them after parts cost and machining everything.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
That's some sketchy looking welding haha is it sleeved or just a bar welded in?

Just bite the bullet @182_steve and get a PMS, mines not exactly used as a racecar is it? Apart from boosting its probably the second best thing I done to my clio.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Looks just welded in. I was gonna sleeve some for my own design but might just get a short shifter.

The pictures above are of the BMS

dan's cast offs.
pms or go home to your council house with nice roman pillars next to the front door :tongueclosed:

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
That looks absolutely spot on and exactly what i'm after......... looks slightly shorter than PMS too? That's what I want also

It looks shorter in that first pic in honesty.

Highest point is probably in line with the CD player, so kind of around that height.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the reply ?? Just bought a bms 2nd hand but no bush in it. Was hoping to get new rather than using the ones out of my current shifter.
They'll be fine mate, dont really tend to wear and you just tighten up the bolt in it anyway.