ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW 120D 06 plate

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
What do people reckon to these

im starting to have to do 300 miles a week and im 6ft 5 so going in my clio everywhere is getting a bit tiring

What are peoples opinions on the 120d?

or what cars do people recommend - budget is £10000

Also will be selling my clio soon if anyone wants it? take a look on my project thread

Cheers guys

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
Cheers pal

think i need to sit in one before i even start looking properly then

i would love a 535d just finding a good one with low mileage is harder then expected

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Even a 3 series isnt as big as you think. It's a nice place to be though. Silent, no vibrations. Bliss.

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
Our company car is a 335d estate and with the seat down and back i feel very spacish inside the car but its just getting into its a pain, feel like im climibing in a ditch haha

but yes that is what im looking for (silence haha) what are the 3 series diesels like if i had a 330d 04 plate - are they still going or on there way out?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I wanted a 330d E46 but every one i went to look at was a dog. If they're not theyre strong money for their age. Very strong infact i'd say.

Bux

Golf GTD
I'm 6ft 1 and I have a 1 series and still have quite a but of room left. As you said you'll have to go sit in one first to check

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
I wanted a 330d E46 but every one i went to look at was a dog. If they're not theyre strong money for their age. Very strong infact i'd say.

See thats my issue - im looking for a well looked after car with low mileage and realistically theres none - all at leats in the 70 80k

Think il have to visit bmw and have a sit in one ( or my next door neighbour)

the 120d the one to have or is there a better model? 116d and 118d to slugish i feel

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
To me most people are either a bmw man or audi man - then theres people who buy mercs haha

Well a priority would be for the seats to be leather - my only reason for not looking into audi's is that at work we have had a couple and they havent compared to the bmw's

09Accord 2.4 3.0i Z4
What about the 120d Coupes? found some lovely examples for £10k less, Much rather the coupe over the Hatch.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
123d are pretty good. I'm sure there 45 mpg with some nice poke.

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
120d coupe with 170ish bhp and a claimed 60mpg, sounds good to me.

Thats my one reason - go from £60 fuel to £30 a week :)

I like the coupes but id prefer a good specced hatch to a basic coupe but the coupes are fantasic cars

the 123d is only on the newer models am i right?

Cheers

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Don't think a 330d mpg is great compared to a 320 or the cheaper 330 petrol.

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
if i wasnt bothered about fuel id be all over a 335i 3 series or 130i 1 series but just doing my head in constantly filling up!!!

think its got to be a 120d if i fit haha

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
10K will buy a 130i with £2500 in spare change for fuel :quiet:

Yes but once you've spent that £2500 you'll have a 6 grand car and no change. Where as with the diesel you'll probably still have a 8.5k car and change in your back pocket.

Yes but once you've spent that £2500 you'll have a 6 grand car and no change. Where as with the diesel you'll probably still have a 8.5k car and change in your back pocket.

Man maths... but there is still only about 65 quid per month difference - assuming you buy both w/ 12m T&T and assuming nothing goes wrong with the diesel as well.

130i

Purchase - £7500
OP does 15K/year @ 32mpg = £3,000 petrol
Total spend - £10,500
Resale of £6,000
Net Spend = £4,500

120D

Purchase - £10,000
OP does 15K/year @ 45mpg = £2,200 Diesel
Total spend - £12,200
Resale of £8,500
Net Spend = £3700

Aside from that to the OP. I am 6"2 and I fit in a 1 series quite nicely, you may however find headroom tight if you are much taller so definitely give it a test :) Personally I think the BMW is a lovely interior to spend 300 miles a week in.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
£700 for fun isnt bad but then if you have fun in a 130 you'll be doing alot worse than 32mpg..;)

I do agree a 130 is a great choice of car though. I'd love one.

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
So over a year the 130i works out cheaper but if you was to run it over 3 years i reckon i would considerably save on the diesel

When you say "if the 120d has no problems" - is there common issues with them?

is 55k for a 06/07 plate good? thats around 8500 mile a year

Whats the road noise like in them?

I am 6ft 5 but very long legged, not body so i am just about comfortable in my clio so a bmw 1 series should just be about rigtht - obviously not as much as a 5 series but thats a different car, bit to big for me personally as im only 19

£700 for fun isnt bad but then if you have fun in a 130 you'll be doing alot worse than 32mpg..;)

I do agree a 130 is a great choice of car though. I'd love one.

Me too lol! They are great. Surprisingly efficient on the motorway as well!

120d will be fairly swift day to day as well in fairness.

Not entirely sure, but I am always of the opinions Diesels have more to go wrong and cost more to fix when they do.

The 130i is on the whole reliable but the N52 engine in it does have a very few catastrophic failures reported lol! There are 3x 130i's in my family though.

And, no, the likely hood is the petrol will work out more expensive by £700ish taking fuel and residuals alone. :evil: That's just me playing silly buggers with numbers though.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
So over a year the 130i works out cheaper but if you was to run it over 3 years i reckon i would considerably save on the diesel

is 55k for a 06/07 plate good? thats around 8500 mile a year

Whats the road noise like in them?

I am 6ft 5 but very long legged, not body so i am just about comfortable in my clio so a bmw 1 series should just be about rigtht - obviously not as much as a 5 series but thats a different car, bit to big for me personally as im only 19

No a 130i will cost you about £700 a year more to run..

You cant put a price on the additional "fun" factor however.

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
next door neighbour has a 130i might just offer them for it and see what they say - worry about fuel in a years time - when she pulls away up the road the 3 litre sounds lovely for a standard car

but then again i should be sensible and have a 120d

Decisions!!

Lol! Easily persuaded.

You are right, the sensible thing is to probably buy a 120d.

Last edited:
  BG Clio 182 - Recaro
Yes very easily persuaded - i was going to have a diesel before i bought my clio but i really should go diesel this time - maybe save up for a weekend car or some how work out on how to keep my clio and just have it garaged in the week and have it for the weekend

but yes realistically its a no brainer and i should go for a 120d - might have a look for some of the reviews

Cheers for the help guys

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Have you thought about leon fr tdi? Not as nicely built inside but good cars.

£8k gets a good one

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
My mates just bought a ibiza fr 59 plate - cracking looking car but so plasticy inside and still with the road noise and rattling and the build quality is in comparison to the germans

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
My mates just bought a ibiza fr 59 plate - cracking looking car but so plasticy inside and still with the road noise and rattling and the build quality is in comparison to the germans

My only worry is modern BMW diesels. If the timing chain goes then its a big bill.
Saying that sometimes the internet does spread viral issues about cars and they escalate.
My wife has a 118d and engines on that are fine, but we have had a rear ABs sensor, EGR valve + stat replaced (common issues £180 to fix i think), failed rear wiper, failed wing mirrors. Nothing major but not what you expect from BMW. My E36 has had less issues and makes you wonder about modern BMWs.

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
very true - i have looked at older 3 series 320 or 330cd but finding a decent one is really hard - and low mileage thats near to impossible!! but there like £4000 not 10k

decisions decisions!!

to be honest though if you look at any car there is escalated internet reviews so id end up being a bus wanker if i listened to all those reviews - like according the the internet clios have awful electrics and exhausts, the exhaust is correct but ive never had any electrical problems in mine

luck of the draw i say haha

09Accord 2.4 3.0i Z4
If I had 10k If I wanted a newer car, i'd aim for the 120D coupe, but as you mentioned and I agree that will only get you a basic spec coupe, The other car i'd love to get if I had that much to spend is a very decent E46 330D, such a beautiful car, really want a 330ci but they're too much for me so i'm aiming lower for either a CTR or a 04 Impreza STI or if i'm a lucky 05/55 Hawkeye Impreza. :cool:

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
i would love a 330D but its just finding a good low mileage one - and then like you say 330ci 130i imprezas i would love but i dont think i could face the fuel costs!!