ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E30 SR20DET

Nice to see you getting your teeth into something again Jords. Wondered where you'd go after the mk1.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Love it... I wish i had the Time / Skill / Money to do something like this! Loved the Clio project so will be watching this with much interest.

Cheers for the comments everyone. The S14 flywheel turned up this morning so I will probably pull the engine out this evening and fit it before dropping it back in to plumb the clutch in - not much else to sort before I can get the engine running then :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Awesome project Jord, great to see you starting another one... this time you've got the skills and knowledge from the outset, so I'm sure it'll be epic.

172, Tiguan
Bloody brilliant Jord. A guy on Northloop did the exact same project. Can't for the life of me remember his name, but was a white e30 with a s14 lump in it. Goes very well (sideways).

Its probably Theo - thats the only 'properly' done one I've found in the UK really. Quite a common conversion in Australia/New Zealand, only seen one other LHD one too in Canada. Just running stock S15 boost for now, as I've got Oulton Park on the 4th November. Planned to fully strip it down over winter once I know it drives fine and put a cage in it - and maybe upgrade a few bits :)

172, Tiguan
That's him. He was at a Rockingham day last year with us. sounded great. Will follow this with interest!

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
very good young fox - i spy rust on your rust free shell though haha.

Looking forward to some hotlaps when you get it finished - wont be long at this rate !!!!

Keep going pal - i like it!

That's him. He was at a Rockingham day last year with us. sounded great. Will follow this with interest!

Yeah I remember seeing his write up about it actually!

very good young fox - i spy rust on your rust free shell though haha.

Looking forward to some hotlaps when you get it finished - wont be long at this rate !!!!

Keep going pal - i like it!

Lol - only bit of 'real' rust I've found was under the windscreen seal after I took the glass out, naff all anywhere else ;)

Immediate hero status!!!

You going FMIC or chargecooler?

FMIC - Already got one and its one (530mmx240mmx69mm) of the next jobs to mount it really. Managed to find one that fits nicely between the front chassis legs with an inlet and outlet about 1/3 of the way up on either side - works out well as it allows the boost pipes to fit under the headlights reducing the length of pipe from inlet/turbo to a minimum :)

Which part do you mean? Im running the standard S15 (springless) clutch on the S14 flywheel for now until I tear it apart over winter..

There's a damper arrangement before the slave cylinder, the pipework loops back on itself. Most people just run a line from the master directly to the slave instead.

You might not have got it with your bits anyway.

Ahhh nope. Box came with a Goodridge line attached directly to the slave cylinder. The clutch on the E30 was tee'd off the master cylinder reservoir, but I've changed that so the clutch has its own now. When I've got it back in the car I need to see if the E30 cylinder on the pedal end pushes the slave enough to disengage the clutch - hopefully it will.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Hugely impressive as ever dude... couldn't believe how much work you'd done when I saw it on Friday. Looking forward to my passenger ride at Oulton.

How many similar projects are we going to see inspired by this?

thought s15 clutch needed duel mass fly ???

Well I thought the S15 lump I got had a duel mass fly on it... its a huge thing but its actually looks like a single machined piece when in your hands, nothing else to it like a normal DMF. No springs or plates etc, I should have got some pics of it really.

Unsure if it needs it but I've 100% read on some forums that people have used the S15 clutch and cover on an S14 flywheel when converting to an S14 box. Il have another search and find the threads I saw to double check. I bolted it onto the S14 fly earlier and the box went on fine, so who knows.

Well I thought the S15 lump I got had a duel mass fly on it... its a huge thing but its actually looks like a single machined piece when in your hands, nothing else to it like a normal DMF. No springs or plates etc, I should have got some pics of it really.

Unsure if it needs it but I've 100% read on some forums that people have used the S15 clutch and cover on an S14 flywheel when converting to an S14 box. Il have another search and find the threads I saw to double check. I bolted it onto the S14 fly earlier and the box went on fine, so who knows.

http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?6636-Help!-What-s-the-difference-between-s14-and-s15-Clutches&p=75119#post75119

http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.p...etween-s14-and-s15-Clutches&p=75878#post75878

Last edited:
Another bit of an update - had a delivery of polybushes the other day including - Rear Beam Mounts, Rear Trailing Arm Bushes, Diff Mount and Front M3 Wishbone Bushes. Decided to rip the whole rear setup off in one go and start stripping it down..

20111002140242.jpg

20111002145301.jpg

I burned the bush out of my LSD ready for the poly bush to be fitted sometime soon..

20111002145325.jpg

20111002145905.jpg

Then removed the bushes from the trailing arms..

20111002153332.jpg

20111002153702.jpg

20111002154421.jpg

I'm going to be running braided lines to the back so decided to cut off the copper line mount and drill a small hole so the braided line can be fastened to it easily..

20111002154937.jpg

Also removed the stubs from the hubs on the rear so the threads can be drilled out to 1/2" and studs pressed in like I did on the Clio. More on that when I've had time to machine them..

20111002151123.jpg

Lastly removed the rear beam/subframe bushes which was a bit harder...

20111002162427.jpg

I was planning on dropping the trailing arms and beam/subframe off for powder coating but I need to get it built back up and the place I usually use are busy so that will have to wait until over winter. I will probably give everything a quick clean with a wire wheel and put some hammerite on it all for now. The ideal thing is with poly bushes they can be removed as and when required then re-fitted

The engine was also pulled out the other evening so I could remove the steering rack and column linkage - basically to give me an idea if the down pipe was going to fit past the column. Mounted the turbo to the engine and then the down pipe to the turbo and dropped the engine back in..

20111003202912.jpg

20111003202857.jpg

20111003202928.jpg

Needless to say the column is going to have to be moved slightly and a custom linkage making up. If the column was extended at its current position it would just fit past, it does look deceiving in the picture, although its not ideal. I also somehow managed to source an E36 M3 rack thats LHD from a forum member which was very lucky. E36 will be slightly better for me also as the pinion is in a slightly different place, hopefully giving me a bit more room to work with regarding the column linkage!

Clio IV 0,9 Tce
Don't use hammerite, you'll regret it when it looks worse than that does now in a year's time. Zinc primer, then some gloss. Fin.

Agree on this. Hammerite is the devils work. Zinc primer and a top coat gives a good result.

Had hammerite on the clio for over 3 years... never had an issue...

Its only until mid November anyway, and don't forget its only being driven once (at Oulton), then it everything's going to be shot-blasted and powder coated anyway!