ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E92 330I

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
About time I started a thread on this. Had it for a month or so now and really like it! I was not planning on buying a 330i, but one came up for sale on here from a thread I paid attention too and was too good an opportunity to miss. I quickly put a few bits up for sale along with the pearl black 172 sport that was my daily and I had spent a fair amount of time and money building. This has since gone to a good home though. I still have my 172 Cup track car and this I won't be selling!

It was a forum members car for the last few years and had quite well documented history. It is a 2008 E92 330i M-sport auto with the following options:-

Exterior light pack(xenons, DRL's)
Interior light pack
Black leather heated seats
Memory seats
19" MV alloy wheels
Black roof lining
Auto box with paddle shift
Rear parking sensors

The car is LeMans blue. As standard M-sport spec has climate control, cruise control, E/W, RCL with total closure, E/M to name a few things.

There is a couple of minor cosmetic issues with the car. The n/s/f wing is plastic and was cracked from the bumper catching on a kerb and being forced upwards. I have since removed the bumper, glued the affected area and then realigned the bumper. It looks ten times better and is not really noticeable.

The front washer jet covers were missing. This seems to be a common problem. Headlight washer jets are a complete waste of time imo. Especially if you keep your car fairly clean. I have disabled the headlight washer jets and purchased some new covers for the bumper from eBay. These will be painted along with the r/o/s of the bumper, which has a small amount of paint damage.

I kept getting a random light fault come up on start up. To solve this I have replaced all the rear light cluster bulbs(they were all working, but some were a bit black). This then left a fault code for the o/s/f DRL. It has xenons and the halo lights were a bit yellow. I have replaced the bulbs with some from Amazon, which are whiter in colour, but not as white as replacing with LED bulbs. The different in price between normal bulbs and some of the brighter ones is a fair amount and the ones I have are a good comprimise between the two.

Really enjoying the car and using as daily. The engine noise is absolutely addictive. I accept the auto box is not the best for such an involving drive, but the track car is for that. Driving in traffic, running the kids around and a bit of speed when you need it the car is great. Not too sure about the MPG, but I didn't buy it for economy! Did I mention the engine noise!!!

Anyway a few pics. Will update with my plans for it. Mainly cosmetic stuff. Wheels could do with a refurb. Tempted with an exhaust system, but not too sure what if anything would be worth getting. Quite like 18" wheels too, but will see. I don't generally keep cars for long. I will get another Megane RS 250/265/275 when money allows!

20190729_095655.jpg

20190729_095746.jpg

20190729_095812.jpg

20190729_095829.jpg

20190729_095847.jpg

20190729_095958.jpg

20190729_100034.jpg

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Really nice mate. They do ok on the motorway but round town you’ll get 24-26mpg at best lol

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Very nice. I agree the noise is addictive even on my e91 barge ? But agree on the MPG terrible around town, but weirdly very good on a long run.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The best I seem to get with mixed driving and a fairly heavy right foot is 25mpg!

My journey to work is 40 mile round trip mainly motorway, but 25 seems as good as I can get.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The best I seem to get with mixed driving and a fairly heavy right foot is 25mpg!

My journey to work is 40 mile round trip mainly motorway, but 25 seems as good as I can get.

Seems very low, especially if you do a decent amount of motorway. I’ll set off on my 50 mile round trip tomorrow and reset to compare. I drive mine like a knob most of the time but I don’t really worry about the fuel. Work pay.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Seems very low, especially if you do a decent amount of motorway. I’ll set off on my 50 mile round trip tomorrow and reset to compare. I drive mine like a knob most of the time but I don’t really worry about the fuel. Work pay.

I probably should reset the trip and get a more accurate indication of MPG just on my work journey. The current indication is from a mixture of driving over a month. Like you say, I didn't buy it for economy ? the quicker I can get to work and less time spent driving there and back the better!!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Obligatory tag @Sir_Dave

Ha ha, is a nice car this! By the time i saw it for sale you'd bought it, otherwise it would be me making this thread and retrofitting CIC :ROFLMAO:
FYI this has the very rare N52K engine (same power as N53, but reliability of the N52), so if you do ever come to sell it, make sure you advertise it on e90post and PH - most e92's come with the N53, so the N52K versions are highly sought after (y)

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
What’s your rough mileage per tank? I’m n53 and around 360 miles for the tank

Will work it out next time I fill up.

Ha ha, is a nice car this! By the time i saw it for sale you'd bought it, otherwise it would be me making this thread and retrofitting CIC :ROFLMAO:
FYI this has the very rare N52K engine (same power as N53, but reliability of the N52), so if you do ever come to sell it, make sure you advertise it on e90post and PH - most e92's come with the N53, so the N52K versions are highly sought after (y)

Thanks for the information mate. Very interesting. I have been following your many BMW threads for some time! You are very knowledgeable and I suspect I will need to call on you for assistance at some point! ?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member

Never heard of that engine! Have you got any more info? Years it was in use etc?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Never heard of that engine! Have you got any more info? Years it was in use etc?
I’d also like to know how you find this out. The other half has a 2.5si z4 and it’s 2008 so potentially this engine also. It’s the n52 with a black cover..

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I’d also like to know how you find this out. The other half has a 2.5si z4 and it’s 2008 so potentially this engine also. It’s the n52 with a black cover..

I think this engine would only be in the 3.0 form rather than 2.5 but I'm happy to be corrected.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

More info here: https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504884 & https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31324
Not sure it was ever used in the e90/91, just the e92/93 (y)
My Z4 knowledge is lacking im afraid :giggle:

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Still running around in this as my daily and absolutely love it! Ticks a lot of boxes. I do a lot of running around in traffic with my kids sport and the auto box is great for this. Good amount of power when I need it is sport mode too.

Otherwise nice comfortable cruiser and now it's a bit chilly in the morning I appreciate the heated seats!!!

Had a slight issue pretty much since I bought it I think with a very slightly binding r/o/s brake caliper. In the last week it has got quite bad so stopped using the car. On inspection the caliper is seized on the rear o/s causing it to bind. I have purchased a reconditioned caliper along with new rear discs and pads. I am currently in the process of replacing these and it should improve the drive(although was pretty good before!). I also plan on doing a service as it's due.

Rear bumper and the washer jet covers should be getting painted next month. Then it will just be the wheel refurb. I will wait until after winter for this though.

Last edited:

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Back brakes all done. Drives like a different car. The old discs and pads had definitely seen better days! O/S caliper replaced with a refurbished one and the N/S was in really good condition. New discs, pads and wear sensor. The anti rattle clips were missing both sides too so got two new

20191002_190736.jpg

Got a quick picture of the halo lights with the new bulbs. Give a nice light. Not the easiest of things to take a picture of.

20191002_210058.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Completed a quick oil and filter change today as not done one in my ownership. Bought some 5w30 C3 fully synthetic with the correct BMW LL-04 rating. Takes 6.5ltrs.

I read and read yesterday about various views on BMW approved oil and this meets all the criteria.

Had a good look underneath as took the under tray off. All very tidy. Got a slight leak from the rocker cover, which I understand is really common. Not an issue at the moment, but I will get this sorted in time.

Had up to 32mpg on a long run to Brighton a few weeks ago. Needs a good clean when I eventually get a chance.

I have seen a few E92's with 18" cross spoke alloys, which I really like the look of. I may look into getting a set at some point, although the current alloys are nice, would just benefit from a refurb.

20191031_124526.jpg
20191031_124530.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Noticed Mot was due on 03/01/2020 so took it for test yesterday. Was not too concerned as everything works and the recent rear brake overhaul.

Went straight through with no advisories so pretty chuffed with that! Now has Mot until 10/01/2021.

Had an attack of my sensible side recently and have decided to put the car up for sale. I am trying to rain in my finances a bit. I have the track car, a VW T5 camper and my Mk2 XR2 now back on the road. I am not in any rush to sell, but have put an advert on ebay and will get the details on here.