ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bmw z4 to a 197

Clio 182
made the stupid mistake about 2 months ago and sold my 182 to buy a 2.2 z4 i cant get on with it doesnt put a smile on my face and only has 170bhp in heavier car so i am thinking of chopping the z4 in for a 197 are 197s any good. :)

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
made the stupid mistake about 2 months ago and sold my 182 to buy a 2.2 z4 i cant get on with it doesnt put a smile on my face and only has 170bhp in heavier car so i am thinking of chopping the z4 in for a 197 are 197s any good. :)

no they look hideous
imo

Breaking A 172 Replica
The 197 looks beatiful IMO but from what people have said it isn't as raw as the 182s and therefore less fun to drive.

by the sounds of it you should really test drive it too see if you like it...you dont want to make the same mistake again!!!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
2.2 Z4 Oh dear. You should have got a slightly older 3.0 They are decent.

Its funny, when they first brought out the Z4 BMW said that they were only going to have decent engines in, with the 2.5 and the 3.0 then all of a sudden they bring out the bloody 2.2 and I'm sure they do a 2.0 as well now. I just don't see the point.

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
on looks the z4 is much nicer looking IMO but only two seats put me off. The 2.5 ltr is you'r best bet in terms of money and perfromance - I know someone who has one and it's damn fast.

As for the 197 - don't pay the rrp price as there are big discounts to be had. Quality wise it's a thousand times better than the 182 and IMO, it looks stunning - the looks minees gets and attention at petrol stations is immense. I've had about 7 people ask me about it in my 2ish mths of ownership.

MPG is shocking though - I'me averaging 26mpg driving sensibly in town and on motorways and bare in mind you can only use superunleaded. Brakes are excellent as is handling - close to perfection in a hot hatch.

Suffers from a lack of torque low down and so you need to drive it hard to above 5k rpm. With regard tro it being less raw than the 182 that may be so - but it depends what you're after - for me it's perfect.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Would rather have the Z4 2.2 to a 197. No appeal to me but that's just personal preference.

If you're going to get a Z4 at least do the research, the 2.2 is the pauper's choice. 3.0 is acceptable for day to day thrashings, Z4 M isn't half bad, but still doesn't have the massive power or enough torque to feel very grunty.

Depends what you can afford, budget BMW of my choice would ALWAYS be the 120d. The new one has 170bhp standard. Still pretty dull, but a remap cures that no end.

mazda 2 sport white
go for a r26 and get the smile back on your face ;)

know what you mean about the z4 2.2 i work on them , if you go for a z4 you need a .3.0 much fun ,mz4 much more but the price .

C

Clio_Craig

do it m8, get ur self down reno and test one out, then u will no

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
you talk like people have an endless pit of money. 2.2 is harldy a 'pauper's choice' - if I remember righlty we're talking about £25kish? Have you driven the z4M? my neighbour has one and it is an absolute flying machine. The guy also has a carrerra s and he says that he prefers the M day to day.

Are you one of these people who say the boxster is the poor man's porsche?

nonsense.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
you talk like people have an endless pit of money. 2.2 is harldy a 'pauper's choice' - if I remember righlty we're talking about £25kish? Have you driven the z4M? my neighbour has one and it is an absolute flying machine. The guy also has a carrerra s and he says that he prefers the M day to day.

nonsense.

The Boxter S isn't, the Boxster is;)

It really depends what you're in it for. I'm not going to get petty and start ranting about how 2.5 litre Porsche's shouldn't exist. But if someone buys it and then complains about it being slow, what can you do??

I have driven a Z4 M Roadster, sure, fast enough. But for the money and the residuals (they are a love or hate car imo) I wouldn't buy one.

Get this though, I would have a Boxster S, but not a 911 Carrera. The Boxsters are nice little cars, the 911 Carreras however, are very expensive for what they are. It again comes down to personal taste and value. I don't value the Porsche badge for a badge, however I think things like the GT2/3 are legendery cars, the Turbo is on my wish list, but at £120k, I think I would need to have a few other things sorted first.

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
it goes from 0-60 in 6.7ish seconds so more than adequate for most people who want to keep their license. Clearly you haven't had any experience of one.

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design

nonsense.

It really depends what you're in it for. I'm not going to get petty and start ranting about how 2.5 litre Porsche's shouldn't exist. But if someone buys it and then complains about it being slow, what can you do??

I have driven a Z4 M Roadster, sure, fast enough. But for the money and the residuals (they are a love or hate car imo) I wouldn't buy one.

Get this though, I would have a Boxster S, but not a 911 Carrera. The Boxsters are nice little cars, the 911 Carreras however, are very expensive for what they are. It again comes down to personal taste and value. I don't value the Porsche badge for a badge, however I think things like the GT2/3 are legendery cars, the Turbo is on my wish list, but at £120k, I think I would need to have a few other things sorted first.

appreciate your thoughts there. The guy says that if he was to do it all again he'd go for the entry level carerra as the S isn't worth the extra cash. Still a stunning looking and sounding thing though.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

appreciate your thoughts there. The guy says that if he was to do it all again he'd go for the entry level carerra as the S isn't worth the extra cash. Still a stunning looking and sounding thing though.

Yep, the fronts look good. I just hate the back of the Carrera. You can get the "Sport" Bodypack and exhaust, bodykit is just a Turbo bodykit and costs £8000 I think, and the exhaust is £3500 or something equally insane, very loud though. Still "Just" a 3.6 though.

MCS R56
it goes from 0-60 in 6.7ish seconds so more than adequate for most people who want to keep their license. Clearly you haven't had any experience of one.

For 27.5K, there are plenty of better options than a 2.5 ugly looking, half-a$$ sports car. I've never read a good review about one so I don't have any intentions of experiencing one. Acceleration doesn't loose peoples' licences, people do. 6.7ish to 60 might adequate for most, but for that cash I would be looking for a whole lot more in terms of acceleration, looks, handles etc. Simply put - it's a poor way to part with a lot of cash. Only decent thing is it's a BMW.

E91 M Sport
From an under-powered sports convertible to a torque-lacking hot hatch that hasn't come good yet? Nah, get a 350Z convertible (or hardtop if you're bored of the sun), that'll put a smile on your face.

MCS R56
From an under-powered sports convertible to a torque-lacking hot hatch that hasn't come good yet? Nah, get a 350Z convertible (or hardtop if you're bored of the sun), that'll put a smile on your face.

Ahhh...someone who has some sense!

Although, I wasn't blown away by the 350Z. Didn't feel as quick as I thought it might be, very smooth and sorted though.