ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Body Styling Or Engine Tweaks

Right guys, I need your help! Ive recently ordered a double rear spoiler from Renault for my 2001 Dynamique Clio. My intention was then to order the MS Design bodykit and get the car looking very sweet! On the other hand the bodykit was going to cost around £670+£270 to paint and fit the kit. Totaling around £1000!!

Im torn between spending this insane amount of money on a car im probably going to keep for 3 yrs max, or to spend £400-£450 on getting a cat replacement pipe, chipped and set up on the rolling road? Seeing as Ive already got powerflow to make me a stainless steel exhaust system this would give me around 95-100bhp under the bonnet of my 1.2 16v!

Either way the spoiler will be being painted and fitted and hopefully look the mutts nuts!

If anyone has any ideas or opinions your help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers lads (and gals!)

John, Aberdeen

well, it would be best, in terms of power per pound, to get nitro, easy, cheapish, and youll till have enough for the chip and pipe....giving more than 100bhp. I hope its on shocks and springs, and alloys?

Its got 15s on it and the factory fitted sport suspension units. Do fancy Nitro but its still under warranty. Dont want anything too severe. I think power rather than style though?

deffo, id ratehr go fast anyday than have a really shiney good looking, maxed out, wings west flippy paint car. Besides, the work is more rewarding..

BMW 320d Sport

If you get nitrous it wont effect your warranty cos it can be removed in half an hour. As long as you have an air pipe between the airbox and the throttle body that is, just get a spare on from a scrappy and you can plumb in the nitrous/fuel injector into the air pipe.

on a car with 75bhp as standard youd do v. well to get 100bhp with just a chip and a cat replacement pipe.

More like manifold, full system(decat), induction kit or replacement filter, chip and maybe some more - 25bhp doesnt come easy from a 1.2

personally id go 4 style and drop an engine with some real guts as standard in after its all finished then work on that engine

allo johnboy...im getting parts of the ms designs kit as well...lightmasks, grill and rear skirt...already have prima racing side skirts and the RS172 spoiler...

kona
www.renaultcarclub.com

Lionel Richie

ive got a 1.2 16v and no one does a chip for it. i want more power also so im getting the head done,the cat off +full exhaust (ive already got a piperX inductiion kit) then im going to speak to dastec (UNICHIP) and see if they can fit a unichip to my car, so the whole lot is set up properly rather than an "off the shelf" jobbie. hopefully it will have about 90bhp+????????

Right, Ive booked the car in for the chip install and the cat replacement pipe.Ive been told the chip minimum will add 8bhp with a maximum of 10bhp. De-cat pipe will add 5-7bhp and ive already got a full stainless system. 75+9+6= 90bhp. + whatever the full system gives already. Who said id have trouble getting this kind of power, Jon16v?

By the way Fred2001Dynamic, how much of a difference does the induction kit make? My chip is getting installed by a company in Forfar called Illusion motorsport. They have a chip. What kind of full system are you looking at? Im finding my Powerflow system well up to scratch!

I have a 1.8 16V engine and would be very surprised if a decat pipe on my full system got any more than 6 bhp.

On a 1.2 16V engine a decat pipe would do very well to get 4 bhp.

I also have a POWERFLOW exhaust and even when I have the cat ripped off I would be happy is the whole thing got 8 bhp extra.

People read MAX POWER a little too much and think that because some scooby got an extra 12 bhp with an induction kit and 18bhp with an exhaust, that their smaller engined cars can do the same - it is relative to the power that you start off with.

As for your chip - is it an off the shelf jobbie or is it fully set up on a rolling road and tailored to your individual car and its modificaions??? Off the shelf are normally set up 4 standard spec cars and so wouldnt suit your modified engine well, a fully set up UNICHIP could well get you an extra 8-10bhp and give you a power readout.

theres also the little problem that my mate came accross - the company that sold him his tuning parts were happy to find an extra 2bhp here and 5 bhp there just to try and convince him to purchase the parts.

Give Nick Hill a ring at Hill Power on 01530 275 633 - he doesnt talk sh*t and will tell you what youll need to do to get 100bhp.

Your best bet - NOS

if I was to look at the data that youve been supplied with and apply it relatively to my engine Id be getting about 18-19bhp from the chip, 14 bhp from the decat.

That would tak my 16V upto:
137+18+14 = 169bhp - excluding the full system.

If you were to search through some old posts in the forum and find rolling road results youll see that people with these sorts of modifications were getting a hell of a lot less than 169bhp

Well well wait to see the readout. Dont really care anyway. The only thing that im wanting is an increase in power! Any other ideas which will boost my power apart from the chip, full system, de-cat? Whats this Ecotec thing?

BMW 320d Sport

Spot on Jon, looks like everyones getting cynical! All for the best though really, like you say too many people get carried away with Max statistics, anyone who thinks youll get any more than 5-10bhp with a chip on a normally aspirated engine less than 2.0 litres is in a dreamworld!

I wasnt trying to sound as if I was having ago JOHNBOY just trying to point it out mate!!! I wish you the best of luck and would love to hear what gains you gt as would my mate - FRED2001DYNAMIC as hes got the same car.

Just dont want people getting carried away with max statistics

you would be looking at modding the internals (head and cam etc.) if you still wanted more power after the induction, exhaust and chip - but then you have to consider whether its worth the cash for the gains that you would receive.

Go for NOS - youd really feel the increase mate.

Ecoteks a good little device - i will be getting one, saves fuel and increase power - not by that much though

or think about bore it out to 1.4? my mate with a corsa 1.4 8v bore his to 1.5, and with cams and head work hes geeting 90bhp, i know it dont sound alot but the torque is very good, pull well enough to suprise a few people

mate, soon my 1.4 8V will be knocking on the door of 140BHP and 190 with the progressive nitro kit....no joke!

ben j...would love to do the full MS design kit but would cost a little bit too much...aint got the dough unfortunately...

wrt NOS, its illegal on the street over here in singapore...however, they are a number of cars running around who have it...last heard that someone has done up a bora auto 1.6L with a 30 hp NOS shot...

kona
www.renaultcarclub.com

Ben-
What work is needed to be done to get 140bhp mark on the 1.4 8v? i persume it involove alot of money and time?
Whos gonna carry out the work?

Thanks for all the help guys but the tweaking has come to an anti-climax! Turns out that the company that was fitting and supplying the chip contacted the manufacturer and they dont have any chip which is suitable! They just presumed that the 1.4 chip would fit.
But oh no, it gets worse! Ive contacted every garage within the north east of Scotland and also Superchips and nowhere has any. Something to do with the immobiliser linked through the ECU or something so id have to send the ECU to Superchips every company said, but seeing Superchips dont do it for my car Im completely buggered (and gutted!)
Should be getting the spoiler on Thursday and getting a powerflow de-cat pipe fitted on the 15th, so at least ive got something to look forward to!

Would Hillpower have anything to add under the bonnet to gain performance (no matter how small a gain) which has been tried and tested?

Thanks agian for the help though guys!

Lionel Richie

i told you no one does a chip!!!! Only joking!!! Im going to try and find out if a UNICHIP will fit on my car, ill let you know

saw an article in max power indicating that superchips has just released a chip for the clio 1.4L 16v...costing gbp252...was that wrong?

confused as hell now...

kona
www.renaultcarclub.com
www.auto-extreme.com/eng/visitors/showcar.php?id=1540

Ford Fiesta

Johnboy,
the spoiler you are getting is it from a Renault dealor, do you have the part number?
there are no accessory brochures anywhere!! no one has any... :-(

If you could let me know as soon as you hear word FRED2001DYNAMIC about the chips i would be very greatful!

Bradfordlad, here is the sacred part number you want, its - 77 11 210 645. Im surprised we dont see mor Clios going about with this spoiler. Looks pretty damn good in the pics Ive seen of it. Guess well find out tomorrow!

Cheers agian,
Johnboy