ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bolt to Hub or longer wheels bolt spacers ?

172 cup
What's people opinions on the above looking to fit 20mm spacers to my 200 but can't find the bolt to hub ones anywhere they only seem to come in the longer wheel bolt ones just dunno wether I trust them no being bolted to the hub ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I wouldnt want to be using bolts 20mm longer, thats a lot of additional exposed thread, in fact thats more than double what is there to start with i would think.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I mean the thread which is exposed to load and hence stretching.

With a normal bolt the only bit that is exposed to that load is the bit where it passes through the wheel, which is only about half a dozen mm thick from the bottom of the taper to the back face of the wheel, if you add a 20mm spacer though the bolt is exposed all the way through that as well, so issues like them loosening when they get hot (due to stretch) get far more prominient.

On a bolt to hub spacer instead of one very long section of exposed thread, you have two bolts each with a short section still. (*5 obviously, Im talk in terms of per bolt hole)

172 cup
I mean the thread which is exposed to load and hence stretching.

With a normal bolt the only bit that is exposed to that load is the bit where it passes through the wheel, which is only about half a dozen mm thick from the bottom of the taper to the back face of the wheel, if you add a 20mm spacer though the bolt is exposed all the way through that as well, so issues like them loosening when they get hot (due to stretch) get far more prominient.

On a bolt to hub spacer instead of one very long section of exposed thread, you have two bolts each with a short section still. (*5 obviously, Im talk in terms of per bolt hole)

i get what you mean bolt to Hub it is then cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Surely any less than 20mm per side you'd have to use longer bolts, as standard wheel bolts would be too long for bolt to hub type?

You can just cut the end of the wheel bolt down to fit, or better still just do what I always do with bolt to hub spacers and run a stud and nut conversion, much easier to change wheels then.

There is a limit to how thin you can get a bolt to hub type though, even with a shallow headed bolt you will struggle to get much under 20mm, i think the thinnest I have seen is 15mm.