ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bomber's Reliable Savage Supercharged Snorting Slut of a Ph1

S4 Avant
Re: Bomber's Savage Supercharged Snorting Slut of a Ph1

Peak performance figures give very little insight into how the car drives/how fast it actually is.

It's all about the area under the graph

ITB'd MK1

I'd like to see that shootout done again at Surrey Rolling Road, Powerstation figures are always high, and their losses are complete fiction. They're always roughly 10% high in my experience

mso

172 cup supercharged

I'd like to see that shootout done again at Surrey Rolling Road, Powerstation figures are always high, and their losses are complete fiction. They're always roughly 10% high in my experience

Mine on Ktec RR was 255 hp so I think there readings are on the high side

Suzuki Jimny

This. My standard cup made 181.3bhp on the powerstation rollers.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member

To be fair there close to how much mathematically mine should be, bombers made identical to what it made a tdf so about as close as rolling roads can be, interestingly tho looking at them all over laid Msos car has more area under the line especially low down, difference is he had a drive in drive out conversion both mine and bombers cars are work in progress

Qashcow

Will post pic of the graphs later, but the 3 overlayed all look very similar.

What knowone has mentioned yet is the amount of boost they were making.... Lol. Let's just say mine may last longer ha.

Twin turbo Audi RS6 aren't that quick it turns out ;)

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member

Lol that is true, ahh well exscuse for a rebuild if it goes.

Was good of them to give us a wave once we slowed up for them ;-p

Qashcow

3433e394.gif

Evo 5 RS

Will post pic of the graphs later, but the 3 overlayed all look very similar.

What knowone has mentioned yet is the amount of boost they were making.... Lol. Let's just say mine may last longer ha.

Twin turbo Audi RS6 aren't that quick it turns out ;)

lol!

Nice results

Qashcow

Mine made 145bhp @0.43bar
Adey's made 178bhp @0.65bar
MSO's made 168bhp @0.??bar

So all in all, not a shootout as opposed to working out what boost levels make what. And on the road, 33bhp didn't make alot of difference, not enough for me to increase it until I'm ready for 330+. Glad today happened tbh :)

Video to come, a mate had his HD camera with him

mso

172 cup supercharged

Mine made 145bhp @0.43bar
Adey's made 178bhp @0.65bar
MSO's made 168bhp @0.??bar

So all in all, not a shootout as opposed to working out what boost levels make what. And on the road, 33bhp didn't make alot of difference, not enough for me to increase it until I'm ready for 330+. Glad today happened tbh :)

Video to come, a mate had his HD camera with him

Mines running 0.5 bar

Qashcow

Oops, not used to figures in the two hundreds...

Mine made 245bhp @0.43bar
Adey's made 278bhp @0.65bar
MSO's made 268bhp @0.??bar

Actually something there has changed in the past 6 months or so, the loss's still look very high but the actual fly figure has ended up pretty close to what our chassis dyno reckons. Our's definately hasn't changed so maybe there's been a tweak to Powerstations software to make it a bit more realistic for 2WD. From the looks of things Bombers car has made pretty identical figures on both!

ITB'd MK1

Well yours seems to read about 5% up on SRR also. I know i've said it before, but it's time and again that the Superflow (f**king awesome piece of kit that it is) gives higher numbers. I'm not saying which is correct either way.....just that there's a consistent difference

mso

172 cup supercharged

End of the day it doesn't matter what rolling roads they go on, they are still bloody quick cars with this conversion done and they are reliable when done right!!!!!

ITB'd MK1

no you're right, it's good to see a direct comparison between 3 similar spec cars. MSO, Seems you have a luuuuurvely chunk of low down grunt. I think Adeys was at 0.4 bar when i drove it and it went like a complete b*****d then, dread to think what it's like with another 3psi

Qashcow

From the looks of things Bombers car has made pretty identical figures on both!

As did toby's 106. Near identical figures on TDF rr and powerstations today. Everything else seemed to come out pretty much as people expected too, no silly high figures on various vehicles

Qashcow

I've added up my total bills this evening, less that I thourght actually...

Qashcow

Under £3800 Inc cambelt and mapping, sensors and tubing. Could of saved about £100 in wasted samco and other bits

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Fair play mate, good skills. It people that have the balls to say "I'll have a bloody go myself" that make this forum interesting. Unfortunately I don't have the time or space to do it myself.

Well done mate, you must be Pleased with yourself :D

Qashcow

Thanks Dave, chuffed to bits really, it is a very capable car now.

Had to buy cambelt tools too, will be cheaper next time I do it ha ;)

mso

172 cup supercharged

Under £3800 Inc cambelt and mapping, sensors and tubing. Could of saved about £100 in wasted samco and other bits

Like i said before well done for doing it yourself but for me I paid £4200 to get it done dropped it off picked it up 1week later job done if it breaks they fix it, I took the easy way!!!

Qashcow

Like i said before well done for doing it yourself but for me I paid £4200 to get it done dropped it off picked it up 1week later job done if it breaks they fix it, I took the easy way!!!

Cambelt is an extra £500 though. I wanted a challenge, it's the only way to learn.

How long is Ktec warrenty?

Interesting past few pages, awesome bumface.

Cheers Boner, and a massive thanks for your help on mapping day too xx

mso

172 cup supercharged

Haven't a clue on warranty 7 months and 6000 miles so far!!!!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member

See half the fun is in the build for me, then pushing my build to it's limits is a good laugh. If it let's go it'll get a new build with low comp pistons and such, I don't like just giving money away especially if it can be done for next to nothing, I think u said another 4-5 k for a low comp build Mso? I could build it myself for the cost of parts alone

mso

172 cup supercharged

See half the fun is in the build for me, then pushing my build to it's limits is a good laugh. If it let's go it'll get a new build with low comp pistons and such, I don't like just giving money away especially if it can be done for next to nothing, I think u said another 4-5 k for a low comp build Mso? I could build it myself for the cost of parts alone
It's like I said before I wouldn't know where to start on something like this so I have no choice but to pay someone to Do it for me. Ktec have a done a bloody good job on my car so I have no problems in paying out the money, another 4 grand would see around 380 bhp which would be bloody mental but it might be to much 300 bhp I think would be fine nice useable power and hopefully reliable.

mso

172 cup supercharged

And if I could do it myself For the cost of parts I'll be going around in a 400 bhp monster!!!!

340i

An interesting read over the last couple of pages....

I think your overlooking something crucial though mate, could the lower output be caused by belt slip??!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member

Lol I think much more than 320-350 would become undrivable in a clio, see what the next few months hold ;-p

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

An interesting read over the last couple of pages....

I think your overlooking something crucial though mate, could the lower output be caused by belt slip??!

What this man said... No worries on mapping day, i didn't do much.

Evo 5 RS

You could easily get someone to build u a low comp engine for under 4k. All the better if u can do it yourself

Qashcow

I've given tuners too much money in my 9 years of playing with cars, was about time to do the whole thing myself

Ph2 1.2, Ph1 172

never really taken much time to have a read of this section.... just spent the best part of 2/3 hours reading this build thread. You sure have made an immense motor out of it and you must be pleased with the results knowing its all been done by yourself, which is something you don't see very often on the forums... fair play to you, can't wait to see some vids of it in action

Well yours seems to read about 5% up on SRR also. I know i've said it before, but it's time and again that the Superflow (f**king awesome piece of kit that it is) gives higher numbers. I'm not saying which is correct either way.....just that there's a consistent difference

Ours is a bit different though as we have a Froude 201 engine dyno to compare it against, the fly compensations we've written for our chassis dyno match the engine dyno results as accurately as is possible when measuring through two rubber bands. Generally the chassis dyno is within 1 ftlb of what the engine dyno reckons for the Duratec, 2ZZ and F4R engines I've tested on both. We're in quite a unique position as we're one of the few companies in the UK to have a true OEM grade engine dyno (i.e. Cadet control etc.) and a decent chassis dyno in the same place.

One of the reasons DD chassis dynos and others differ is the ATMC correction factor applied by DD roads vs SAE correction applied by most others. This can cause differences, it doesn't mean either are more/less correct than the other - just that the correction factor applied has resulted in differences in the corrected figure..... there's not really a way around that as without correction factors we're all f**ked and it's the reason our crate engine books have three pages at the front concerning correction factors :) It's impossible to say a chassis or engine dyno reads high/low/correct without also knowing what correction factor has been applied to the raw figures recorded. A DD road will do SAE correction on wheel power and when we back to back'd a couple of cars on our old DD 2WD and our current Superflow with SAEJ1995 correction factor the difference was tolerance only. We have to correct to SAE really so our engine packages can be directly compared to those provided by Cosworth, Minister, CPT etc.

There's a really good SAE paper on correction factors BTW if you're bored and fancy a read ;)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Ours is a bit different though as we have a Froude 201 engine dyno to compare it against, the fly compensations we've written for our chassis dyno match the engine dyno results as accurately as is possible when measuring through two rubber bands. Generally the chassis dyno is within 1 ftlb of what the engine dyno reckons for the Duratec, 2ZZ and F4R engines I've tested on both. We're in quite a unique position as we're one of the few companies in the UK to have a true OEM grade engine dyno (i.e. Cadet control etc.) and a decent chassis dyno in the same place.

One of the reasons DD chassis dynos and others differ is the ATMC correction factor applied by DD roads vs SAE correction applied by most others. This can cause differences, it doesn't mean either are more/less correct than the other - just that the correction factor applied has resulted in differences in the corrected figure..... there's not really a way around that as without correction factors we're all f**ked and it's the reason our crate engine books have three pages at the front concerning correction factors :) It's impossible to say a chassis or engine dyno reads high/low/correct without also knowing what correction factor has been applied to the raw figures recorded. A DD road will do SAE correction on wheel power and when we back to back'd a couple of cars on our old DD 2WD and our current Superflow with SAEJ1995 correction factor the difference was tolerance only. We have to correct to SAE really so our engine packages can be directly compared to those provided by Cosworth, Minister, CPT etc.

There's a really good SAE paper on correction factors BTW if you're bored and fancy a read ;)

You're the only person on here who makes me feel absolutely stupid :eek: I understood around 30% of that though, so we're getting somewhere :D