ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bonjour clio lovers

Clio 172
Hello, im new here.
just thought I better introduce myself before I start pumping the site full of questions I can't find answers for on FAQ or spouting french drivel.
I learnt to drive in a K reg clio 1.4 RT.
I dreamt of owning a clio williams. with roll cage and engine in the back. the insurance said Noh!
so I drove a Vitara fat boy, punto, then a golf, then a Jeep laredo, then an MR2...

while I was wazzing round in my MR2, my mother bought a clio 172. (X reg)
we had a race.

she won. (it was an old MR2)
I decided again, one day I should probably own a clio.

between then many motorbikes have passed through my hands, many more 4 wheeled vehicles, including a hilux, a nissan cube and a peugeot 309.
I have a long and high Peugeot Boxer van I use as a shed and workshop on wheels. I also have a motorbike which is currently up for sale.
and then...

theres the calamity clio.

Bought in October last year as a replacement for the motorbike, which as mentioned above is now for sale. There's a whole sorry story about a french boyfriend, now ex, but that would take ages.

I had a plan. there's 40 things I need to do before I'm 40.
eating blackforest gateaux in the blackforest is one... and while Im over that way
driving the Nuurburgring is another.

what better car than a nippy little clio? It'll get me there hopefully, provide a nice little ride around a track, and then wazz off with the speedy gateaux to the black forest.

however. first. the car needs to work.
its been a catalogue of errors from the start.
bought my 2002 Clio 172 from a small local garage. First drive, (a decent one, 500 miles) on two photoshoots, the gearbox pooped itself. I drove 200 miles home in 4th gear.
one month later. fixed. (a small plastic fork broken and a leaking seal) I drove it again.
this time the old electronic light came on, the yellow one in the middle and limp home mode engaged. marvellous thought I. called the garage. yes, bring it in for diagnostic.
ok. I set off to the garage the next week having so far driven the car on two return journeys, and clankety clank STOP.
The garage came and towed the car away, last november. It was delivered back 2 days before feb. (new valves, skimmed head, theflipping werks) turns out a bolt had come out of the alternator, caused all hell to break loose and duff up the cambelt. Quite unlucky Id say.
SO, job done. I'm back on the road. 500 miles later (ie two journeys, when I drive, I bloomin well drive) THAT light comes on again. nip back to the garage for diagnostic.
throttle position sensor. fine. Ill just look that up online and get a replacement....nay bother. (actually much harder than I thought and still looking)

but while I was searching, this site kept coming up with information, and I thought, I had probably better join that. If this car is going to be half as much grief as that EX french boyfriend, Im going to need some kindred support.

I've chosen the car. Now IT needs to choose me.

I also thought theres probably a few trips to tracks here and there and I might be able to join in.

So Hello! May I now go and pillage your forum for information?

Jayne

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Welcome Jayne,

if it helps at all, my first year of clio ownership wasn't much better, or better at all really, but these guys and their wisdom have steered me through it all!