ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet Catch Fault

Clio 172 Cup
Hi guys, bought a Clio Cup around a month ago and after a couple of days the bonnet flew up and smashed my windscreen and dented my roof. I hear this is a common fault so I rang Renault to see what they can do and they said they're going to ring me back tomorrow.

Has this happened to anyone on here before and are Renault likely to pay for the damage?

Thanks

1.2 Dynamique billabong
there was a product recall mate, all cars between a certain age were ment to have a free check and the part replaced for free if needed. I had mine done last summer, got a letter through from renault.

Clio 172 Cup
there was a product recall mate, all cars between a certain age were ment to have a free check and the part replaced for free if needed. I had mine done last summer, got a letter through from renault.

Yeah I did hear they were re-called, how do I know if mine was though? I've looked through the book I got with the car and I can't see any reciepts saying anything about it?

172 turbo 'cup'
Yeah I did hear they were re-called, how do I know if mine was though? I've looked through the book I got with the car and I can't see any reciepts saying anything about it?

Renault will be able to tell you i did'nt get anything off them to say it was done when they done mine

This happened to some girl i know the other day.

clio1r.jpg

clio2.jpg

clio3.jpg

CLIO PH1 172
Mines booked in next thursday to get this done, my bonnet kept comin off the latch but not fully opening thankfully.

I took it straight into renault and they checked there system and said yes mine was a recall but had never been done so they are going to replace lock and catch free of charge.

If anybodys in doubt its worth checking tbh not worth the risk - I will ask what dates the cars were affected by the fault when I'm in there next week unless someone knows already

CLIO PH1 172
mines a ph1 on an 'x' reg and is a recall? so it must apply to ph1s as well?? imo if you have a mk2 get it checked out ?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I had mine done last summer, quick question though did they revise they part or is it expected to happen again!?

Bumder With A Buffer
I had mine done last summer, quick question though did they revise they part or is it expected to happen again!?

All they do is grease it up I believe. They don't change anything on the mechanism. I check mine often anyway so I always re-grease it etc if needed.

Evo 8 MR
+1 just make sure it's greased up, you can tell if its sticking just by opening the bonnet.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
So I'm guessing in the primary fastner, where bung sits, there should be a little catch which should move forwards and backwards as you open and shut bonnet.

I say should as my bonnet is currently secured with a cable tie...

All they do is grease it up I believe. They don't change anything on the mechanism. I check mine often anyway so I always re-grease it etc if needed.

They replaced my whole mechanism for a new one under the recall, and used a whole tub of copper grease.

PH2 Clio 172
Checked with the Renault dealer today after reading this thread. Mine has not had the bonnet catch recall done. Not sure if I am going to take it in if all they do is lube up the one that is on there, if they fitted a new one I would go for it.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Checked with the Renault dealer today after reading this thread. Mine has not had the bonnet catch recall done. Not sure if I am going to take it in if all they do is lube up the one that is on there, if they fitted a new one I would go for it.

I'd take it to be done, because then if something does happen and you've had the recall then you can blame then! :approve:

Civic Em1, Civic Eg4
I done my driving test in my Clio and I wasn't allowed to do the test until i had it checked by Renault and a recipt to say I had it checked over. That's the way I found out about this fault.

I got the letter through for mine but never actually got round to having it done, hopefully the current owner has

PH2 Clio 172
I'd take it to be done, because then if something does happen and you've had the recall then you can blame then! :approve:

True dat. I don't usually like letting other techies work on my car; guess I will have to this time (visions of them sitting on my alacantra with dirty overalls).

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Just to point out this recall and issue relates to ALL Mk2 Clios, Ph1, 2 and 3 and also the Campus. Please folks, for your own safety, contact your nearest Renault dealership and at the very least check and see if the previous owner had the recall done or not.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F

Both parts of the catch were replaced when mine went in. Might just depend on condition, if it does, I may have been lucky to get there.....

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Mine was replaced and the car was only 2 years old max. The old catch looked perfect as well.

you can call up renault UK and they too can tell you if its been done already. if it has there's no need to pay up for a new bonnet catch mechanism. simply undo the 2 bolts holding the catch and give it a good clean/scrub with a brush (i used a brass one) and some WD40. you will notice the catch will become looser the more you clean it. dry it up then whack some grease over it before putting it back.
it'll work like new.
just in future when checking the car, make sure you or whoever checks it has a look at the catch and regrease (re-clean if necessary)

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Just decided to pull lever on mine with bonnet up already to expose the little metal lip which appears. Sprayed loads of Wd40 in there and then greased as well. Pulled it about 10-15 times, and then opened and shut bonnet about 5 times.

Now catches and shuts fully everytime. Will keep an eye on it though....

1.5dci
after reading this i thought i'd better check mine, and surprisingly it's not been done either so booked in on tuesday.
Saw a cable tie being mentioned above, would this be advisable until then, as i'm gonna be doing over 300 miles between now and when it's done, or will it not help?

CLIO PH1 172
as mentioned mine going in tomorrow morning to get this done they said they are replacing catch and lock :D

RS200 Cup
after reading this i thought i'd better check mine, and surprisingly it's not been done either so booked in on tuesday.
Saw a cable tie being mentioned above, would this be advisable until then, as i'm gonna be doing over 300 miles between now and when it's done, or will it not help?

Free it up and grease it as per vala & ABOO, cable tie if you must.

CLIO PH1 172
got back from renault about an hour ago very pleased with the service they replace both catch and lock with no problems atall

IMG00034-20100506-1340.jpg

IMG00035-20100506-1340.jpg