ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet vents for induction cooling

Clio Williams2

Ive searched through pages of post RE induction kits, mine suffers from hot air i think. No one seems to mention using o bonnet vent for the hot air to flo out of as a bumper vent supplies cold air. Surely worth a try, perhaps combined with a hot air shield? Any1 tried this? what you reckon?

lift the closing height of the rear edge of the bonnet 1/2" as a high pressure zone (relative) is created there and can circulate cool air into the bay.......find another way to vent it lol!

Clio Williams2

lateral thinking, have you tried that? or could kinda roll out the sides of the bonnet to create a bulge over the wheels for air to escape.

professors of aerodynamic flow etc are we?

The flow through the front has to excede the pressure at the screen if you raise the trailing edge or you will melt the engine.

BMW 320d Sport

Well I just louvred my bonnet just above the inlet manifold and rear of the radiator. According to my readings it has lowered the charge temp noticeably. Ill do some more extended readings over different conditions once its back on the road again. However the inlet manifold is a lot colder now and it doesnt overheat in traffic. On a standard NA 16v the situation would be different though, my bumper isnt standard and Ive got an oil cooler and a chargecooler rad in the front as well as the standard engine radiator. Best bet would be an exhaust vent above the induction kit I would have thought. As long as you can get some airflow in through the front and its got an exit route out through the bonnet, thatll create a local zone of colder air passing through the bonnet area that the induction cone can draw on. Without running the whole system inside a sealed airbox, it would be difficult to be sure that it would work. The only way to find out is to try it for yourself and see, bearing in mind none of us are full-time experts in aerodynamics and even if we were wed need to do a lot of testing and experimentation to see what worked and what didnt.

The only thing that does make sense to me is that putting a bonnet scoop in wouldnt work at all, if the aim is to get cold air to an induction kit. Theres not enough airflow through the engine bay to make it work. The primary airflow through there goes in through the radiator and then out underneath the engine and gearbox. So if you put in a bonnet scoop it needs to pull air in and exhaust it below the engine. A bonnet vent would work though, if it were close enough to the radiator and just above it. Likewise, an air duct through from the passenger side wheelarch/bumper onto the air filter with a vent above it in the bonnet should also work without disturbing the rest of the airflow.

I could be wrong though!

Clio Williams2

I was kinda thinking along those lines nick, Ive got to put the idea on the backburner till my engine mounts are replaced ~(hopefully tommorow) and just noticed something nasty looking today under the bonnet - bothe the suspension turrets are sitting about 1/2 inch higher than they should be, 1 pointing a bit forward and one a bit back!!! hope this is just a loose bolt!!

BMW 320d Sport

Another thing to think about is; what was the purpose of the original Maxi vent on the nearside corner of the bonnet, basically just above the rear of the headlight/engine fusebox (in a standard car).

It wasnt for induction cooling AFAIK because on the Maxi the induction was a sealed system that drew air not from the wheelarch, but from the scuttle panel at the rear of the engine bay on the passenger side (drivers side on the Maxi though). So I suspect that was to create an alternative exhaust route for hot air coming through the radiator and out through the bonnet. Therefore Renault had already tested this design of vent in that area of the bonnet and it must have worked otherwise they wouldnt have used it.

Clio Williams2

Pic didnt work, heres one (downloaded from this forum I think):

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1058984419__need_this_look.jpgYou have to upload you image here : http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/index.phphttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/index.php then click that tree piture up there ^ then paste in the link given.

Im not sure if its the maxi clio but apparently the racing clios used the standard air box with an intake pipe running from the the fog light slot (fog lights not neccesary)

Ive got a week off work next week so gonna get out the cardboard out and see if i can fabricate an airbox shape to incorporate front intake and maybe bonnet vent, still got to concentrate on what I thought was engine mounts but now the garage say could be gearbox. Gonna have to let Renault sort it and think about the cost later:eek:

this argument still going on?

Anyway if any of you had spent any time with proper rally cars you will realise the vent on the nearside of the bonnet has the air box directly under it and sealed to the bonnet. The air box is shaped like the horn (the beep beep horn) with holes for the water to drain out.

Clio Williams2

bonnet vent looks nice, not tacky as expected.

It does seem as if the bulkhead pipe would suck away from the engine to help intake through the front, is it used aswell as the bonnet vent for exhaust?

need that maxi.

Problem is that bonnet vent aint avalible!

If it was i would be a millionaire i tell ya! lol!

Someone needs to take a long hard look at getting the underbonnet temps down on a valver/willy, because at times it gets silly in there!

Clio Williams2

Did someone somewhere say they had a thermometer wired up to check intake temp with display on dash? is this easy? any suggestions on where to route the wire through the bulkhead, wired up an amp in last clio and was ballache to get the power lead through. might visit halfords if not too hard.