ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Borrowed the new Clio 4!

120d M Sport
Got a chance to take this Renault demonstrator home from work. I'll start with the pics:

8486087741_057ba6d272_b.jpg

New clio by AlexHull4, on Flickr

8486094105_088870f94d_b.jpg

Untitled by AlexHull4, on Flickr

8487183122_cf8d88036d_b.jpg

Interior:

8486095667_3f1669730d_b.jpg

I'm actually won over by the styling after really not liking it from initial photos. I thought it looked really big and bulky but it actually looks quite sleek in the metal, particularly in this black.

Not sure what trim level it is but it's well specced with touch screen stereo/media set up, bluetooth, USB slot, start/stop, keyless starting.

The engine is the 0.9 litre Turbo, which feels very perky for it's size. I'm amazed that such a small engine pulls this car along reasonably well - it's no performer but it has torque in the right places for every day driving so is just right for most regular use.

Drive wise, the gear change is improved alot upon Renault's of old, with a much sharper action and shorter travel (The gear stick however isn't the nicest and looks like a dildo :dead:). The handling is good with plenty of grip and not much body roll, whilst the ride is smooth and well damped (although I found it occasionally a bit bouncy at higher speeds).

The steering is actually nicely weighted and has a reasonable amount of feel for a modern car, particularly compared to the citroen DS3 my dad's got which feels like it's under anaesthetic! I was pleasantly suprised by how the Clio steers by comparison.

My only complaint with the car drive wise is the brake pedal feel, which is really 'rubbery' and vague and doesn't have a nice 'bite'.

Overall I think Renault have got it right for the market, it looks stylish, it drives well and is well kitted out.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Good write up wee man, Luke seemed to rate the one he had!

Those wheels are f**king cancerous though! Fox specials!

120d M Sport
Good write up wee man, Luke seemed to rate the one he had!

Those wheels are f**king cancerous though! Fox specials!

Hey you cup head! I think you'll be in for a treat with the new Clio 4RS you're lining up.

This middle spec (at a guess) model feels like a good platform for the boys at Dieppe to work their magic on.

+1 on the horrid wheels, look aftermarket :dead: Dont like the huuuuge red bit on the wheel but dont mind the other red parts. Cant wait to see a new Clio RS in the flesh.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Wheels....& having bright orange bits inside a brand new car?

Who would actually want that? Lost for words.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
What have I just looked at...?

black,red And then bright orange inside, with shocking wheels.

Im not a fan unfortunately.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Looks great, although pictures don't do it justice.

Lol at people hating the wheels, have you seen the steering wheel?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I kinda like it... but the Red touches are working because of the Black paint which in turn is hiding it's styling imperfections.

None the less not that bad!

Those wheels are some of the worst i've ever seen fitted to a car. They actualky look like wheel trims. Wow!

I look at some manufacturers and think, how f**king hard is it to make a decent alloy. Oh and please, just do the standard cars with Silver wheels.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I think those w**k wheels and horrid wheel will appeal to a lot of women. They love tack like that.

120d M Sport
I kinda like it... but the Red touches are working because of the Black paint which in turn is hiding it's styling imperfections.

None the less not that bad!

Those wheels are some of the worst i've ever seen fitted to a car. They actualky look like wheel trims. Wow!

I look at some manufacturers and think, how f**king hard is it to make a decent alloy. Oh and please, just do the standard cars with Silver wheels.

I completely agree with the red on black contrast... It's brash but it works in a funky kind of way - The car is very clearly targeted at a young market and I think it will do well.

I also agree it would look much better with silver wheels, I hate these black/chrome rip speed combos manufacturers are churning out currently.

It takes some getting used to looks wise but hey, I hated the clio 2 when it came out in 1998 and have gone on to own 2. It looks a lot better in the metal tbf!

Last edited:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
take of some of those horrible shiney plastic bits inside and itll look half decent,

hate the wheels, they look like something a chav would put on his 1991 cosra 1.2!!
and the wingmirrors are the fugly stepsister of a cave troll!

other than that, i quite like the exterior styling, <1L turbo engines are set to be the norm now im guessing with emission laws on the rise... :/
may put the old N/A engines in higher demand.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Alex, were you at William A Lewis in Telford? They had same car outside their showroom yesterday when I popped in to pick up some bits.

107 Track Car & C4
Always quite liked the look of these (in a minority lol), but the wheels aren't great and the orange detailing on the interior is horrid! Otherwise quite like it :)

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
I'm also not keen on the translucent red steering wheel and interior trim, but overall, I quite like it. I saw one in the flesh a few weeks back - the press photos really don't do it justice at all.

I'm even coming round to the RS, but I really wish it was a manual :(

120d M Sport
Alex, were you at William A Lewis in Telford? They had same car outside their showroom yesterday when I popped in to pick up some bits.

No mate, it's been at our offices in Derby all week for our staff to try out, must have been a similar registered car on Renaults fleet.

I'm also not keen on the translucent red steering wheel and interior trim, but overall, I quite like it. I saw one in the flesh a few weeks back - the press photos really don't do it justice at all.

I'm even coming round to the RS, but I really wish it was a manual :(

I'm with you there.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
FLOL! That is fcuking awful.

I collected a brand new Suzuki Alto (1.0 3 cyl base model) today and I can honestly say i'd rather drive that. Dreadful!

I still however look forward to the RS that's coming. :D

120d M Sport
One other thing I will say is that whilst I liked it overall and felt it drove well, I run a Mazda 2 as my daily car and jumping back in it today I realised how much sharper to drive it is than the Clio (the mazda is based on the Fiesta so same applies)

Mazda is better handling, with better steering feel and turn in, gear change, control feel etc, not huge differences but it all adds up.

So for keen drivers the Fiesta (or mazda 2) is still ahead.

Last edited:
  BlackGold 182
i like the dash and the dials etc, looks modern but the centre console is awful and the wheels and steering wheel are dreadful

Edition 30
Styling is nice. Apart from the wheels.

Needs to lose the bright colours. That interior would look sweet in gloss black with a nice black wheel.

Flamer
Everything is optional so saying you don't like the orange, don't pick the orange, there are wheels to pick from but the others aren't much better. To see these in the flesh is better.. The blak an flame red and vice versa are really nice. An they have a <1ltr version that's turbos n is actually like a 1.4 which can fairly move tbh. Still waitin on the rs but the dynamique s is lovely to.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You can pretty much change the colours of the bits and pieces to the ones you like - it's all customisable. Can't wait to get a go in the Clio Renaultsport 200 Turbo.

Trophy
1st thing to do is to sack the person that specced the car with those wheels and that coloured interior trim! It's not going to help sell any new Clio's.