ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bottom end just went :(....

2002 172 Sport
Hey guys
Just on way home from work and the bottom end decided to go on my car i aint amused at all i want to put a hammer all over it..
Where can i get a replacement lump that aint gonna force me to sell a kidney to finance ?
I am situated in Cardiff \ Newport if anyone localish to me has something they want to sell please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Shane

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Have a look on pistonheads classifieds there is always a few engines on there or in the for sale section on here other than that ebay or breakers yard

2002 172 Sport
Hey Guys
Thanks for the replies.
I cant look on here as i am not a full member and at the moment i need every penny i got to replace this motor.
I am prob looking at about 500 top end and thats me just turning the sofa over for the pennys at the same time.

Thanks
Shane

172,scenic, trafic
i have a low miles engine, new head gasket, belt and belt kit. new dephaser too but thats a bit low for me im afraid.

2002 172 Sport
Nice one guys.
I am looking for the best solution aswell i am totally clueless with all of this so input from you guys is a real help also.
Regards
Shane

2002 172 Sport
how mechanically minded are you? id consider removing engine, getting someone to rebuild it and refit urself

I can remove it myself more than likley i am not a professional but i have done the odd gear box, clutch and stuff on other cars so i am not a complete beginner with a rachet.
Them days were long ago though.
Thanks
Shane

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Bit far from me then... well this bottom end i have is just going to waste here, so if you want to organise a courier for it its yours for £50? I can stick it on a pallet or whatever..

Removed from a 66k 172 on a 52Plate.

Pm me if you want it

2002 172 Sport
Bit far from me then... well this bottom end i have is just going to waste here, so if you want to organise a courier for it its yours for £50? I can stick it on a pallet or whatever..

Removed from a 66k 172 on a 52Plate.

Pm me if you want it

Hiya
Thanks for that...
Shane

Stealth 438'd 182
replace the whole engine deffo.. not worth just replacing parts..

take it from one who knows from experience when my audi S3's bottom end went to s**t! after alot of fault finding time effort and money spent i got it running but it cost me money i didnt need to spend and it didnt run right.. luckily i was in the position to get a fully forged race engine from a good friend stripped it down to barebones rebuilt that and swapped that out - moral of the story deffo new engine time mate should of just bit the bullet and replaced it in the first intance and saved a small fortune and alot of time!!!

2002 172 Sport
Hi rob_sri
Thanks for that it is looking that way aint it. I am fuming its one of them moments where i want the world to open up and swallow me coz that would be the easier and cheaper option.
Regards
Shane

Stealth 438'd 182
mate i feel your pain!! feel so sorry for you cause as i said, been there done that, i had the S3 for about a month before the engine let go! nothing to do with me but a blocked oil strainer which caused it! you feel robbed and pissed off beyond belief i can understand that!

long and short of it is find a new engine and sort it that way otherwise you could pay £xxx's for a overhaul and still be left with a dodgy engine.. you can bend all sorts and score things.. trust me although it seems like a big step its the easiest less stressful and most cost effective.. may give you some peace of mind too as your new engine wont of suffered such a catastrophic component failiure

clio lumps are generally quite easy to come by and usually quite hard wearing, try and find a reputable dealer pref with warranty or a member off here so you know its all okay and you will have some confidence in it! keep on checking the forum for parts for sale and look in the traders section.. maybe worth speaking to one of the gurus like fred at BTM for advice they may know or have a solution for you.

best of luck mate and i hope you manage to get it sorted!

2002 172 Sport
Morning guys
Found one off Ebay still in the car running 66k he wants £400 for it if i collect it from Cornwall (8 hours round trip 400 miles) its off a car thats had a side smash.
The kid is emailing me a video of it still running in the car later for me to have a look at (i know that is not 100% by a long shot that its any good).
I am looking to collect it friday providing the guy can get it out by then for me and hopefully spend my weekend elbows deep in dirt trying to change it.
The only thing i have concerns about is i know once you start messing with these that i am going to be faced with all sorts of lights on the dash which is common on these by the sounds.

Not looking forward to my weekend one bit..........

All the best
Shane

Golf GTD Mk7
good price mate. Would it not be cheaper for you to sort out a pallet delivery for it? It's only about £50 ish usually? Presumably you got another 172 engine?

2002 172 Sport
good price mate. Would it not be cheaper for you to sort out a pallet delivery for it? It's only about £50 ish usually? Presumably you got another 172 engine?
Hi Jonny
Its from a 03 plate Clio 172 cup.
I am not sure about palleting it up i would not know where to start sorting that out and i am guessing thats providing the kid the other side will sort it out onto a pallet for me (again not sure).
Regards
Shane

LY Megane R26 230
Shane,Gez his breaking his phase 1 and has the engine up for 560 o.n.o ,he lives in Swansea so not a million miles away from you.has good mileage,service history and has that the belts done recently.also has matched inlets that you could sell for a few quid.i'll help you fit it too for a few beer tokens ;)

Also if you want to sell me your car as is i might know someone interested

2002 172 Sport
Shane,Gez his breaking his phase 1 and has the engine up for 560 o.n.o ,he lives in Swansea so not a million miles away from you.has good mileage,service history and has that the belts done recently.also has matched inlets that you could sell for a few quid.i'll help you fit it too for a few beer tokens ;)

Also if you want to sell me your car as is i might know someone interested

Hi there mate
Thanks for that mate i litterally only have about 500 quid to sort this out, i would rather keep it as i do like the car and i cant afford to replace it anyways.
I would love to take you up on your offer of help as i need all i can get to be honest.
Phase 1 and matched inlets means absolutly nothing to me to be honest :)
If you would like to have a chat with GEZ and see what he says on the price and the shear desperation of the situation please feel free, like i said all the help i can get at the moment.
Where abouts are you mate ?

All the best
Shane

2002 172 Sport
perfect opportunity to get a blueprinted, balanced and ported lump.

oh yes

Hi Goodj

What is the perfect opportunity ? this means nothing to me :) sorry for my lack of knowledge and the risk of sounding totally stupid in the process.

Thanks
Shane

Listerine & Poledo
Sorry fella, a semi-flippant comment.

But, if you're going to replace your dead motor, you could get one that's been built better. Not sure who'd do this though.
Stuff like lightened parts, polished ports, balanced crank etc.

I bet it also comes at a cost too :/

Bad news though fella, no-one needs this to happen to them!

2002 172 Sport
Sorry fella, a semi-flippant comment.

But, if you're going to replace your dead motor, you could get one that's been built better. Not sure who'd do this though.
Stuff like lightened parts, polished ports, balanced crank etc.

I bet it also comes at a cost too :/

Bad news though fella, no-one needs this to happen to them!

Hi Mate
Ah right ok i am with you now..
No and its the wrong time of year also was a crazy month last month 3 childrens BDays all with they high price demands.
Then actually had to buy the car as previous Megane clutch went and garage wanted 800 quid to fix it and the mot was due soon and it needed work for that so thought sod doing the work on that and put what money i did have tucked away into a new (to me) car and bought the Clio only had it for 3 weeks and now this has happened i aint even had the Log book returned to me yet.
Cheers
Shane

2002 172 Sport
  2002 172 Sport
Update for you all for advice......

Just had a video sent to me from the guy in cornwall with the replacement lump. I noticed there was a whine noise when it was running ( this motor has no alternator onit ). The guy said when i questioned him about it that the noise wasnt there prior to him removing the ALT belt ( i am not convinced ). Correct me if i am wrong is this sounding like the pulleys from the CAM belt giving up ?. Is it worth getting on the dirt cheap and then buying the complete replacement kit both belts and pulleys and hope that is the cure or stay away from it all together ???????

Cheers guys for all your help
All the best
Shane