ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bottom end just went :(....

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Shane, you need to be replacing the timing belt and auxiliary belt on any engine you fit. Just for peace of mind.

2002 172 Sport
Shane, you need to be replacing the timing belt and auxiliary belt on any engine you fit. Just for peace of mind.

Hi Ollie
Yeah i was thinking of doing that anyways but what about the pulleys and tensioners and stuff like that also ?
Belts are relativley cheap the full kit starts to be over the £130 pound mark.

Thanks
Shane

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
You'll need a full kit, then the proper Renault timing tools. If you join up and be a proper member there is a guide.

172, Tiguan
:) Cant afford the membership at the moment need every penny i got.
Cheers
Shane

I think it might be worth your while tbh. For a start you'd get a discount code to get a full cambelt kit alot cheaper than £130. Membership paid for itself already....

2002 172 Sport
scary, there was no sign before?
no knocking or something?

Hi bozo
There was nothing that i could tell anyways, it never lost a drop of oil i checked that prior and then it was checked and changed on the service.
There were no out of the ordinary noise's i can recall hearing over the last few weeks.
It ran a bit lumpy when it was cold but within mins was fine.
Not sure about the power i never smashed it about anywhere.
There was no smoke or anything no oil leaking on the actuall engine itself visable water was fine temp always stayed steady never over heated or anyting like that.
Thats about all i can think of...there is nothing to say about the life it had prior to me having it though.
Thanks
Shane

330i. E30 Touring.
Shane- drop Nick172Cup a PM. He's got a strong engine for sale from a 172 cup going really cheap. If you go ahead, one of us will deliver it personally for the diesel money..

2002 172 Sport
it might just be the video quality to be honest. I'd be a little cautious though.

The kid wanted 400 to start with then once he sent the video i questioned the noise on the motor and he said so what are you thinking i said well its looking like i am going to have to spend some serious money on it to get it running smoothe. He said well how about 350 then i told him i would get back to him by end of play today. I told him i am going to have to get someone to do all the belts and pulleys and timming for me as i am not in a position to carry these procedures out for myself.
My head is in the shed at the moment on what to do ( i hate being in this position ).

All the best
Shane

2002 172 Sport
Shane- drop Nick172Cup a PM. He's got a strong engine for sale from a 172 cup going really cheap. If you go ahead, one of us will deliver it personally for the diesel money..

Just sent him a PM thanks for that matey.
All the best
Shane

2002 172 Sport
Hey People
I have had a phone call from someone surgesting this please let me know what you all think.

Check if its the big ends not just gone as this will be a easier and less costly fix if thats just the case. Firstly drain the oil and then remove the sump and look for metal fragments in the bottom of the sump as if they are worn there maybe white metal shards in the bottom. If there is enough oil still left in the car there is a possibility all other bearings should be fine. Put the car in gear and rock back and forth and check where the noise is comming from. remove the spark plugs and shine a tourch into there and look for fragments on the top of the piston crowns, if there is anything in there it would of damaged the small ends.

That is the basic concept of what he was saying.

Thanks
Shane

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
if the bottom end bearings have gone, the crank will probably be scored. so that would need re grounding. if that needs to come out your going to need the engine pulled out timing re done ect. which im guessing it will be if you drove it while it was knocking. worth a check first though.

2002 172 Sport
if the bottom end bearings have gone, the crank will probably be scored. so that would need re grounding. if that needs to come out your going to need the engine pulled out timing re done ect. which im guessing it will be if you drove it while it was knocking. worth a check first though.

Not much chance of that being a fix then as it was driven while knocking.
Just thought i would post what i been told your all the experts i am the clueless.

Thanks
Shane

Ph1
Is it actually knocking? The video sounds like its humming lol

When mine dropped a bearing it just rattled horrifically.

IMO you need to find out exactly whats wrong before writing the engine off and buying another.

Ph2 Flamer
Think the knocking comments refer to the engine in Shanes car after the bottom went, not the vid. Sounds like something is rubbing to me, if the kid had a smash maybe a belt is rubbing on summat. Wouldn't reccomend buying it anyway especially if this Nick chap has one for cheaper!

Shane if when you do get an engine sourced you could use a second pair of hands let me know as I'm probably no more than 10-15 mins from you.

2002 172 Sport
Is it actually knocking? The video sounds like its humming lol

When mine dropped a bearing it just rattled horrifically.

IMO you need to find out exactly whats wrong before writing the engine off and buying another.

Hi mate
The video is not of my motor it is of one i was looking to buy that i have been told to now stay away from.
Thanks
Shane

2002 172 Sport
Think the knocking comments refer to the engine in Shanes car after the bottom went, not the vid. Sounds like something is rubbing to me, if the kid had a smash maybe a belt is rubbing on summat. Wouldn't reccomend buying it anyway especially if this Nick chap has one for cheaper!

Shane if when you do get an engine sourced you could use a second pair of hands let me know as I'm probably no more than 10-15 mins from you.

Hi Mate
You are correct with the video mate.
And that would be awsome to be honest with you thank you for the offer.
I will PM you my number drop me a text.
All the best
Shane