ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought a DSLR, now what should I get for it?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Reet, after months of fancying a half decent camera, I've finally bought a D40 18-55 lens kit.

Bought the usual bits: 4GB SD card, carry case, and field guide book, but I am a complete photography nooob! (but im a fast learner)

Question is what else is worth buying? UV filter? Any recommendations? Hoya 77mm UV ok?

Also would like a lense with some more zoom, had a read on here and maybe a 55-200 is the best option? Any recommendations? I'm confused as to which ones will and wont work with the auto focus, and which ones wouls be good for both still and moving photography (track days, etc)

I'm going to Thailand in 2 months, and want to get some nice pics and also learn how to use it a bit ish by then too.

Cheers

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Just play about with it for a while. get used to it before you sperm money all over the shot!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
iv noticed all the bits are made in thailand actually, might wait and see whats over there if it will be cheaper!

will have a play and a read of this book!

i wondered if a filter might be a good idea for protection of the lense maybe while its brand new still?

thanks!

BMW M3
Get out there and take as many pictures as possible. Macro, Landscapes, portraites the lot.

Find out what you enjoy, get used to all the settings - it will take a while to get comfortable with the settings - there's a LOT you can do manually.

Buy magazines that give you tips etc. Loads to do mate but best of all - enjoy it!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Cheers for the help.

Been reading through this book and learnt a bit already, took some nice shots with not a lot of fiddling, so looking forward to having a proper play once i get more familiar.

Also had a go with a mates D80 with 75-300MM lense and I really fancy a zoom lense. Might buy the 55-200 vr before the trip to thailand!

D

dick

uv filters are always a hot topic in forums.

sime use them, some dont, . if yo do decide on getting them dont buy a cheap one, they are s**te. get a decent b+w or hoya pro1 digital or kenko pro1 digital. i personally dont use one, i insure my gear instead. as i dont spend £700 on a lens to put a £40 bit of glas in front.

shouldnt b much coz its ony tiny front element

try hvstaR.COM

btw, you already have a zoom lens... as apposed to a pime lens.... you want a telephoto zoom lens lens...
can i ask why you want a telephoto zoom for thailand? i personally would be more tempted to get a ultra wid angle lens (UWA) like a sigma 10-20 or tokia 11-16 or whatever it is. to captuire thos beautiful landscapes that youwill see.
the sigma is about £250 from onestop digital.
as fun as telephoto lenses are, thr not always th best. im going to the us for a few months, taking my canon 24-105 and my sigma 10-20.

tip. dont look at lens reviews... you ennd up buying silly expensive gear

pick up a lenspen, spare battery mm.... circular polariser filter,..more memory... sandisk high speed, either ultra 2 or extreme iii, tho i think ultra is above th write sped of d40. for these id reccomend day shop. oh also a rocket blower form somewhere. and gte spar lens caps incase u lose them while traveeliing

alao just a quick tip.... lenses generally get sharper 1 or 2 stops below ther max. aperture.

Last edited by a moderator:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
thanks fo the info mate, good stuff!

main reason I want a telephoto lense ;) is because im going over there mainly for thai boxing, and we are going to train in numerous camps, and see many fights, so want to get some good action shots if possible. (once iv learnt how to of course)

a wide angle sounds good also, will see how finances are over the next month or so!

iv got a 4gb extreme III at the mo, and ill have a butchers at the other little bits and bobs cheers! :)

D

dick

'
tbh i dont think that lens is fast enough to freeze boxing motion indoors. im not sure what the lighting situation is, but i cant imagine it being that bright... i presume it is indoors?

outdoors yer sure, be fine with that lens
indoor action im not sure that that lens would be able to get to 1/500th sec which i guess is what you'd need...

Last edited by a moderator:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
hmmm ok matey thanks again, will have a look into best options between now and then.

some are indoors and others outdoors like depending where is it.

Nikon Lenses need AF-S and Sigma HSM to autofocus on the D40. There are loads of choices out there - all depends on your budget!!!!