ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Box/clutch issue?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Brilliant, cheers mate! I've seen you can squeeze them out the passenger side wheel arch by lowering the subframe and removing everything on that side. Best way to do it? I only just changed the oil! haha

Imagine what it's like when you've put £60's worth of Redline MTL in ?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Use the code MID60 on GSF, comes in at £73 for the premium option. Pretty sure that’ll be Valeo, could always call your local branch to check first.

monaco 172
Brilliant, cheers mate! I've seen you can squeeze them out the passenger side wheel arch by lowering the subframe and removing everything on that side. Best way to do it? I only just changed the oil! haha
It needs to be lowered quite a lot to get through the gap.

I took the bolts out completely on the box side, and lowered the driver's side about an inch and left the bolts in, this gave just enough room to get the box out

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
It needs to be lowered quite a lot to get through the gap.

I took the bolts out completely on the box side, and lowered the driver's side about an inch and left the bolts in, this gave just enough room to get the box out
I'm thinking of just pulling the whole engine and box then I can swap it all over in the garage. I cant get the car in the garage as not enough space. Presume this doesn't take much longer?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I'm thinking of just pulling the whole engine and box then I can swap it all over in the garage. I cant get the car in the garage as not enough space. Presume this doesn't take much longer?

Pulling the engine will be a fair bit more work, unless you get @YorkshireKyle to do it while you watch ?

Requires PAS lines moving/disconnecting and stuff.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I did think about this, but if i pull the engine I can drill and tap the block turbo in the future and tidy up the bay.

Was just a thought? Never done a box/clutch before so wanted the best visiblity and stuff.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I did think about this, but if i pull the engine I can drill and tap the block turbo in the future and tidy up the bay.

Was just a thought? Never done a box/clutch before so wanted the best visiblity and stuff.
Just do that shite in future as you can drop the sump off, stick in some ARP rod bolts and do the oil pump mod too.

Plus you could probably go EPAS when going turbo to stop your PAS boiling. Endless possibilities

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just do that shite in future as you can drop the sump off, stick in some ARP rod bolts and do the oil pump mod too.

Plus you could probably go EPAS when going turbo to stop your PAS boiling. Endless possibilities
I'd planned on doing that mate. I will see how long it will take for the box from Mark to arrive then make a decision on how to proceed

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Do I have to be careful not rolling the clio with the shafts out as i believe you can f**k up the bearings? Not gonna be towing it down the road, its just mainly going to be sat on its wheels but with no shafts in.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Do I have to be careful not rolling the clio with the shafts out as i believe you can f**k up the bearings? Not gonna be towing it down the road, its just mainly going to be sat on its wheels but with no shafts in.
I put some threaded bar and washers through mine to hold them together. If you leave the weight of it on them then they'll be shagged over the course of a week

Imagine a fat bird sat on your chest, that's what your car will feel like🤣

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I put some threaded bar and washers through mine to hold them together. If you leave the weight of it on them then they'll be shagged over the course of a week

Imagine a fat bird sat on your chest, that's what your car will feel like🤣
Didn't realise it just being sat on them would kill them. I'll go jack the car up and shove it on some stands.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Aye they will start to splay, a day shouldn't hurt em too much but after a while they'll come apart
It's on Axle stands now resting on some MDF to stop it sinking into the block paving. Didn't realise it was that bad to leave it on its wheels with no shafts in. Fingers crossed no damage done or its another expense added to the list!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It's on Axle stands now resting on some MDF to stop it sinking into the block paving. Didn't realise it was that bad to leave it on its wheels with no shafts in. Fingers crossed no damage done or its another expense added to the list!
Nah should be sound, you got your box out?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
(y)
20190820_205257.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just filtered the oil into a container and it's just full of black specs. Nothing metallic from what I can see though.

20190824_121258.jpg
20190824_121339.jpg
20190824_121250.jpg

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear that your box has given up mate!

I had to replace mine on my 182 a couple of months ago. I wouldn’t say that it was an easy job, but working on it bit, by bit, spread out over a few days, I got there in the end.

I had planned lowering the passenger side of the subframe, but when trying it, it looked impossible to get the box out like that, so I completely removed the subframe instead.

Good luck with the work ahead!