ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Caliper rebuild

182 Cup
So I'm going to rebuild my brakes all round. I reckon I've got a problem with at least one of my rear wheels not rotating freely and I believe one of the slider pins is worn on each side at the front as there is sizeable clearance on each one.

Reading about the bigg red kits are fairly good for the fronts, but most people seem to think the rears are too awkward.
Do you need special tools for the rears, or is it a case of care and time stripping and rebuilding to get everything back in place correctly?

So first question is do the bigg red kits include everything you need?

Where's the best place to get slider pins? (Also is the carrier bracket likely to be worn too?)

Is it worth getting the rear rebuild kit from bigg red? I can't see a problem with me doing it unless special tools are needed.

Pistons wise I will wait and see as there have been no leaks so far.

Cheers

Clio 172
I rebuilt the rear callipers with the Big Redd Kit and it was fine. However, whatever you do, after taking the handbrake mechanism boot off, do not be tempted to take apart the handbrake mechanism, that was 4 hours of my life I will never get back!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I rebuilt the rear callipers with the Big Redd Kit and it was fine. However, whatever you do, after taking the handbrake mechanism boot off, do not be tempted to take apart the handbrake mechanism, that was 4 hours of my life I will never get back!

Haha +1 . I've been there , done that . Never again :nono:

182 Cup
My dad's buying them for Christmas for me lol! Useful present stage! Will see what he says mate, thanks for the offer!

182 Cup
So having had the kits through now, I'm aware that I might need some more parts.

I reckon either 2 of my slider pins are worn, or one hole on each carrier is worn as compared to the other ones there is some waggle movement which from my understanding there shouldn't be.

Question is which is more likely to be worn, the pin or the carrier? Don't want to throw money away buying parts I don't need

BG182ff,explod Focus
Not done this yet on my Clio but it is on the ever increasing "To do list" but I have done it on my old Focus.

The spindle was seized on one side so I had to completely disassemble the whole ratchet mechanism to clear the corrosion and fit the new seals you'll have in the Bigg Red kit.
As they are both Bendix I'm guessing they are pretty much the same design on the Clio so unless you have some long and thin circlip pliers then it might be best to just replace the piston seals.

Bigg Red also do the slider pins here and these might be useful too.
Once it is ready to put back together then some of this on the sliders and external ratchet mechanism will be far better than using copperslip as that is intended as an antiseize paste rather than a lube.