ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Cooling

Show us your brake ducting.
I have seen many threads with a few different opinions and solutions but it would be nice to have a thread showing what everyone has done for ideas, design, parts and suppliers.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I attempted to make some fiber glass ones (like the cup racer) but it went badly wrong as I did not have a clue what I was doing lol
so after that I just went simple and got some Ducting off ebay for about £10 Ducts from JJC about £20 mounted them inside the fog light surround and made some deflector plates out of some sheet steel I had and they seem to work
DSC02120_zps3f3ddd49.jpg

DSC02122_zps54e9dc08.jpg

DSC02132_zps806b9e85.jpg

DSC02131_zpscb020e71.jpg

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
These seem like a cheap option for anyone wanting to keep the original fog lamp holders and tidy up the "something missing" look of just removing the fog lamps:

a568d7f7e4e36e307320ed053e05bb7e.jpg

£40
I have a set of these, went for the aggressive option. I was really impressed with them, think they look lots better on the car than in the ebay pictures and fitting is so easy. I didn't even need to secure the hose to the back of the duct.

Have run a couple of 12 car rallies with them and had no issues.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I like the look of the stealth the best but was wondering how much more air you got with the aggressive ones. Any photos?

I don't have any pictures to hand, but the ebay pictures give you a good idea of the extra lip. I haven't measured any brake temps since fitting (or before fitting for that matter) but I have worked in brake cooling at work and was happy enough with the basic principle of what they do and the improvement the "aggressiveness" should give. But I agree the normal ones look better, but I didn't buy a Clio for its looks!!!!!

The thing to understand about effective brake cooling is about understanding air pressure not just air flow. So creating higher air pressure points will help with this as long as they are built up in the right place. The BMW's and Porches I have studied are extremely good at this, particularly the Porsche. But its all done in a more subtle way than some brake ducts off eBay!

Track 172 Cup
Nice what duct did you use? I'm after a cheap solution for some brake ducting. How much did it cost you and do you use and deflectors or just angle the ducting towards the disc/calipers.

Stu

clio 20v
Few pics of My brake cooling setup when I was fitting it (on a mk1 )
null_zps87c7e1b2.jpg

null_zpsa7da7ac4.jpg

null_zps3b18cdd5.jpg

Ideally you want to force air up through the centre of the disc to cool it evenly the only problem with this is as I've found is a lot of clio discs are vented from the front instead of the rear and it really doesn't work as well

Like this
null_zps6d2678c0.jpg

Instead of like this

null_zps6b258065.jpg

When I get chance in going to make some better ducts that fit to the hub something like this
9294B5E3-CEC4-408B-9DA1-373778E2FACD.jpg

Nah its just my car for going up to work and back in every few days and while im up there and if I need it I can use it for taking my son out if he's off with me during a week day.

Will hopefully get many evenings in at Snettterton as thats local to my work and maybe Bedford too if I can be assed to drive up there (added bonus is the tracks I like are nearer to work than home so a shorter journey)

Its going to be geared up as mainly a fun car but I don't want the suspension etc to be too extreme as it can be uncomfortable on some of the 30mph potholed, bumpey back and residential roads where I live and thats on the standard sport suspension, which I have no real gripes about apart from the front being too soft.

Worst case if I bugger the pads is to just change them as they are cheap (brembos off g172)
Im fairly good on reading when the car needs cooling off and I don't think it will bother me having to keep cooling them. The alternative is running something like CL's but thats overkill for the road to be honesg and they aren't cheap either!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ah okay mate, plans sound good. Tbh i find the ecp pagid pads at £15 ish brilliant, and have used them on track too. If you feel the need to experiment, honestly try those.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have two Clio's to be honest one for road and one for track but have a feeling one would always sit there broken :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ha ha. I have two cars mate which makes me appreciate the clio as a fun car. I have a cheap daily to get me to work etc and doesnt concern me where i park etc. Although i am looking for an uber cheap car (c1/107) to buy :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Happy times postman literally just turned up with them as I was sat on the shitter. Ended up plugging with loo roll grabbing my dressing gown and running downstairs to not miss him LOL
Buy a small digital timer off eBay and stick it somewhere on the dashboard. Set it to 15mins when on track and stick to it. I did just 17 mins last time I was out and whereas at 15 the car was coping well those extra 2 mins I spent honking round everything started to wilt!

I'll be running brembo HP2000 pads and HC discs this year so I'll let you know how I get on on track as the brembo pads are slightly more road biased than the Ferrodo DS2500's and I've found them great on the road.

My Cup is pretty much boggo and copes well at track days up to as I said 15mins.

Thats interesting to know. Thats still at least 6 or 7 laps I would guess so not too bad. I don't want to fall in the trap of spendinf a fortune on the car that I don't need to. Im not racing or anything and we all know the types who continually modify then sell the car when its done.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Buy a small digital timer off eBay and stick it somewhere on the dashboard. Set it to 15mins when on track and stick to it. I did just 17 mins last time I was out and whereas at 15 the car was coping well those extra 2 mins I spent honking round everything started to wilt!

I'll be running brembo HP2000 pads and HC discs this year so I'll let you know how I get on on track as the brembo pads are slightly more road biased than the Ferrodo DS2500's and I've found them great on the road.

My Cup is pretty much boggo and copes well at track days up to as I said 15mins.

I don't have too much problem with brakes (Brembo HC + Pagid blues) in rebuilt callipers (which as a whole, is excellent). Although I have some bits to make my own ducts, I'm not feeling the need for this yet (following 4 sessions at brands), more so I need a cold air feed to the air filter first!
I do find in those extra few laps that the tyres and clutch start to degrade though, so I agree 15min sessions generally seems the best interval to let everything cool off a little. One thing I am impressed with though is the constant water temp, usually bang on half all the time.

Last edited:
Brands only really has one decent braking area though and thats for paddock hill and also the downhill bit the corner after the next (can't remember names)

I think Snetterton will be a bit harder on the brakes as theres a few high speed bits and at least 3 second gear corners from what I can tell.

Brands is cool though but does get repetitive.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Brands only really has one decent braking area though and thats for paddock hill and also the downhill bit the corner after the next (can't remember names)

I think Snetterton will be a bit harder on the brakes as theres a few high speed bits and at least 3 second gear corners from what I can tell.

Brands is cool though but does get repetitive.
Good to know, time to get out to more tracks......then fit the brake cooling [emoji6]

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
15mins isn't just the number for the car. Most of us aren't experienced racers and every minute you push past the 15mins you are more and more likely to make a costly mistake. It's the time on track that's recommended by the organisers and instructors at the airfield and circuit days I do. I bet the number of people that don't even get a good night's sleep before a track day is pretty low!

Your wallet as well as your cars tyres, fluids and brakes will thank you if you don't over do it.

The way the engines in these take a track day in their stride despite being nothing special always impresses me.

mod all you like but lots of shorter sessions is still better than a few loooooong ones. More likely to experience the full paddock on track as well :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'm that happy with the way my car is, on my last outing at Oulton I was doing 25-30 stints lol.