ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brake fell off help reqiured.

valver
good evening all, i was driving my valver yesterday when i heard a loud noise and saw something in my rear view mirror flying off my car. so i go to stop and i have no brakes. my rear brake pad flew off.
i managed to go back pick up the pad and get the car home as luckily i was only about 50yds away from my home.
i got the wheel off earlier on with the help of a friend who is a mechanic and what looks to of happened is where the caliper holds the pad (it kinda slots in) a split pin has gone and the metal bar type thing has gone.
so im guessing i just need to replace this bar and a split pin and all should be well.
so if anyone has this part (ive got pictures on my phone but not a cable to connect to the pc, so im able to send them to a user if they require) or advice to any other cause from this.

my mechanic said that this is unheard of that it could just fall off like that, luckily i was in my estate and nothing around, could of been a different story if i was on a main road etc.

agh almost forgot to mention a couple days ago, tues to be aprox i heard a loud bang from the back of the car which i just shrugged of to be a stone etc but now im guessing is linked.

has this happened to anyone else or got any advice how to resolve the problem.

cheers lawson.

i think someone did post about a fortnight ago with a similar problem

if the bar was missing, perhaps the securing pin had been missing for a while and had allowed the bar to work loose? some motorfactors sell fitting kits (springs, bar and pin) so you might be able to get away without having to buy a new set of pads

valver
is it a simple fix like it looks? will i have to buy a new caliper or can i get said part. if you know hat the part is or part number would be great help.

Valver
send me the pic if you want i'll pm you my number. should just be a case of getting another metal slider and pin? Did you press the brakes afterwards? check there is no damage to the disc etc or any other damage to the caliper.

this was hopefully covered by pm last night - sorry, i should have posted.

it looks as though the pin and slider have worked loose.

White R26/Stripped Valver
Yea this happened to me, it depends on how far the piston has come out, if it happened at a low speed and you haven't had to use the brakes hard then it should be repairable, if not then its a new caliper. If thats the case, get a second hand caliper and take it to a garage to fit it, and if you really wanna save some £ go to a spares shop and buy the fitting kit and pads yourself.