ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake heat cracks

172 Track Car
Changed the front discs today and notice some significant heat cracks. I realise it's normal to get these in the cyclic loading of the discs, thermally and mechanically.

Is this a normal level of cracking or do I need to work on some extra cooling? Currently just fog light surrounds and liners out. I've got an emergency duct design planned just on case, is this necessary?

aqe8umaz.jpg
2enybape.jpg

Similar both sides.

Regards,
Alex

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Noticed mine are a bit like that too, had issues with brake fade at Oulton last November using yellowstuff pads and it's probably the reason.
About to fit some AP 4 pots, 300mm rotors with alloy bells. Should stop then!

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
That's bad. Also believe it's an MOT failure (well it is on HGV anyway) because the cracks cover more than 50% of the width of the disc face. Just something that is worth checking with the car MOT manual.

172 Track Car
It's a dedicated track car so not too worried about MOT passing.

The discs are brembo HC. It had run pf97 pads for a couple of days and before that a full set of rc6 pads that we managed to run to the backing plate (see picture). Didn't show any cracks though, just some scoring we took out and then bedded them back in. We realised this was properly gash but had been shipped incorrect discs and had a track day he following morning!

They've all looked quiet similar in the past, even when not raped by metal on metal contact. Just thought I'd flag it up. The car still braked fine and disc wear was maybe 1-2mm total thickness - less that 1mm each face.
ydehugag.jpg

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Could you rotate the disc freely? Was it making any noise? I.e. Grinding on application?

It may just be a case of too much heat through yours on track bud. How 'heavy' a braker are you? They are bad, especially after such a short time and the fact you say you bedded the pads in ok.

172 Track Car
Probably fairly heavy on the brakes! It's only going to get worse as the slicks start working in the summer so I might just get the ducts made up

172 Track Car
You may need to look at 4 pots.....

Probably but I've had a think about it *engineering hat on* and I'll go for ducting, it has got to be a heat management issue and even with four pots the disc will probably still cook

182cup & 172 racecar
Fogs out, with the surround trimmed away, and no liners. We tried deflector plates and ducting and stuff, but it just all gets in the way.

Do you hang onto your brakes? It could be the way you are braking, and this wouldn't help the situation.

172 Track Car
I trail brake aggressively but am normally back on the power before the apex. Not sure how my dad drives, brakes rarely smoke. Always right foot braking so no double pedal dragging.

I brake to put myself through the windshield generally...

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Never seen any like that and I've used them myself and supplied a fair few to plenty of people who track and race their cars

Have you measured the total thickness of them mate?

172 Track Car
Never seen any like that and I've used them myself and supplied a fair few to plenty of people who track and race their cars

Have you measured the total thickness of them mate?

Nope, less than 3mm thinner than news ones when looking set total width though

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
They come with 24mm new, the minimum thickness for them is 21.8mm

Be interested to know the thickness of those

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
The ones on mine were on it when it was bought, probably some cheap crap Motorfactor ones

172 Track Car
They come with 24mm new, the minimum thickness for them is 21.8mm

Be interested to know the thickness of those

Old discs were in the bin, in fairness I'd say they were on the minimum when they came off. 3mm was with a factor of safety

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I was going to suggest if they haven't passed it , they were very near the limit of needing changing imo mate