ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake issue on the way home tonight....

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

Set off home tonight and all was fine. Got about half a mile from work and went to cover my brakes into a left turn. The pedal went pretty much to the floor and I had that instant reaction to start slowing down with the aid of the handbrake.

Pressing it harder, the brake (and I mean singular) seemed to slow the car down. However it feels like just one wheel is braking as the car 'pivots' under braking - as if all the other three wheels have very low Psi in their tyres.

I pulled over into a business park and with the engine still running, I pumped the brakes. Pretty much nothing until the last 10% I'd say. Switched the car off and checked the brake fluid level - absolutely fine.

I drop the bonnet and retry the brake pedal with the engine off. Within two pumps, the brake pedal is back to how it normally is. As soon as I spin over the engine, the drop to the floor issue reappears.

I switch the engine off and try the diagnostic - all four dashes appear, no codes whatsoever. I then set off again (luckily the traffic is pretty quiet by now) and gingerly drive home. Halfway back, the SERV and ABS lights come on and stay on.

I make the uneventful drive back to the car park at home without issue. On stopping, I check the diagnostic once more and there are no codes again. Now with every press of the brake pedal, the STOP light flickers on.

Any suggestions chaps? No work has been carried out on the car in months and typically, I'm booked into Birchdown, but that's not until next month for its service. Is there anything I could check? Does the master cylinder have it's own fuse at all?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
D.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The master cylinder is a mechanical device so no fuses. It's either a faulty master cylinder (flipped/failed seals) or a fault within the ABS/ESP module.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Mick - I think I might have found the culprit. I went to the car this morning and there was a small 3" pool of what looked like oil on the floor in front of one of the rear wheels. Clearly brake fluid - so I'm assuming the seal has perished on that corner.

I'll get it booked into a garage near work. I'm actually more concerned that the leaking fluid will have run over the alloy and screwed up the paint!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
At a guess yeah. Although not massively common. Mine went on the front, albeit on the Impreza. It wasn't fitted properly and rubbed away :(

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Down sarf at the minute - but got Shelley to take a picture of the little oil pool when she got back tonight. Thankfully it's not grown in size since this morning, so it's not pouring out of its own accord.

And yep, the car does need a wash! [emoji5]️

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427222802.072362.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep - brake pipe. Slightly weird in that it appeared to be slightly out of line and had caught on the rear spring. Must have only just touched and maybe when the spring compressed - as I've had those Eibachs on for years.

I looked at the old section of pipe - and indeed it looked like it had been smoothly scrubbed over a long period of time - finally letting go when the pipe wall was too thin.

Sorted now though - and the other side of the car was totally fine.