ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Kwik Fit quote

I left my car with Kwik Fit on the weekend to have my brakes checked over since I haven't had them changed since new and haven't had time to get it serviced lately (shes on about 25K now).

Anyway, they quoted me £620 for new pads all round and new disks all round including what they described as 'special bearings' needed with the rear disks. Does this sound right? Should I be needing new disks all round so soon? And can anyone shed some light on these special bearings? I told them no thanks as everything was only around 0.2-4mm below recommended level.
Since then I have bought new pads off the net at a fraction of the price as I know someone who can fit them.

She's also been booked in for a service next week too. Lady on phone said 'second service is always a major one', but couldn't give me an estimate of the cost. Anyone give me an estimate?
Sorry for long winded post.
Cheers

Titanium 182
sounds well ott thb :S

then again i wouldnt know wouldnt pay that thoguh. iirc on my 106 i got new discs and pads all round and it came to like £120 lol
trade price like.

what are the special bearings :S ? wheel bearings ?

It's A Reno
Iirc, pads and discs changed on a RS is around the £600 mark if they use reno parts.
Mine got done under warranty and that's the amount they said I'd saved.

Having said that, I wouldn't go to Kwikfit anyway after an experience I had there. I think theyre a bunch of f**kin' idiots.

The garage around the corner should be more than capable of doing it for far less.

I think the bearing theyre talking about refers to the fact that removing the rear discs splits the bearing.....I think.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Fit em yourself, peice of piss, could get a very good brak set up for £400.

Mine got done under warranty and that's the amount they said I'd saved.
Didn't think brakes comes under warranty.

The ones that looked at my car were idiots. As i drove off, my 'stop' light was showing on the dash as was the hand brake light. Took it back and the guy was like, "Whoops, must have forgot to do something".
I popped the bonet, he took engine cover off and screwed something back on that was hanging off and said, "That should do it".

Didn't fill me with much confidence on the drive home.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Whereabouts are you? Front brakes are easy, 2 hour job. For under £200 you get v decent pads/discs and braided lines. Rears don't do much work on these cars, be sure they need changing before doing it. Do not use kwik-fit, ever lol.

lol forgot to put the cap on the brake fluid!

Rear discs come as a complete unit from renault with the bearing and abs ring, removing the disc does not affect the bearing, there all one unit.

You can buy discs that need the bearings pushed in and have no ABS rings but its a lot easier just to get the renault ones with it all ready to bolt on.

There about £150 for a pair, Front Discs £60 + front pads and rear pads Its probably about £300 dependin on what you go for.
Need 2 new bolts aswell the ones that hold the disc on, only about £2.50 each.

Its easy enough to fit yourself and £600 is a lot

It's A Reno
Didn't think brakes comes under warranty.

They don't, but the car had only done around 4500 miles at the first service and the discs were quite badly corroded.
I argued that it wasn't acceptable and they weren't going to last a reasonable amount of time and I wanted them changing, so they did.
I had to pay for the pads though.:dapprove:

Nice one guys.

Like I said, i've got new pads ready to fit now. Will fit them before the service and see what Renault say.

I want to keep the cost to a minimum as its a company car (basically leased) and its going back in a month and they'll take me to town if it goes back and needs stuff doing to it.

On another note, no idea what i'm going to get next. Contemplating a 197 but haven't heard too many kind words about the fuel consumption. And for about £50 more a month after i've added the options I want on it I could get a R32. Not sure i'm that keep on the looks, thats the only problem.

Based in South Wales warren.

Last edited:
  Petrol Blue 182.
they tried charging £15 for an exhuast gasket i didnt even need and £10 for the laboutr, i just walked out lol

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
I remember seeing a advert for kwick-fit regarding breaks a few weeks back.

I think if they do you discs and pads they will replace the pads for free each time they wear out for the “life time of the car” bit vague but maybe worth asking about

I remember seeing a advert for kwick-fit regarding breaks a few weeks back.

I think if they do you discs and pads they will replace the pads for free each time they wear out for the “life time of the car” bit vague but maybe worth asking about

Interesting. Don't really care about that though as car is going in a month.

Hows the VXR mate?

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
Whereabouts are you? Front brakes are easy, 2 hour job. For under £200 you get v decent pads/discs and braided lines. Rears don't do much work on these cars, be sure they need changing before doing it. Do not use kwik-fit, ever lol.

As above really, doubt the rears need any work on them tbh, wouldnt trust kwik fit anyway. Get a good disc, pad and braided lines brake package for the fronts from yozzasport or k-tec for around £200 - 250 and do it yourself.