ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake poll

RS 182 CUP
Can someone start a brake poll, the best of disc and pad combinations please. Just replaced my greenstuff with redstuff and what a differance it makes, but don't fancy buying differant pads and discs every time I need some.

Inferno 182
If you want the best brake set up, my advice is shell out for Pagid Blue pads. I have fitted them to 3 of my cars now, they are the best pad I have ever used.

RS 182 CUP
A poll would make it easier to see and refer to, not just for me but for anyone undecided what to get

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
the most popular choice on here is brembo HC disc's and ferodo ds2500 pad's + braided lines...

Majority gets this. No point in a poll really, its what you need, not what most people have.

Others get mintex (supposedly good for fast road but not up to track?), CL rc5+ (mixed reviews on these, more for the track ive read), or standard renault for joe bloggs.

Then you get the oddballs going with 4 pots, or performance friction which are supposed to be very good on track.

Ferodo DS2500, braided lines

Where's the cheapest place to get the braided lines and pads from as above?

(Already got the discs)

Ferodo DS2500, braided lines

Where's the cheapest place to get the braided lines and pads from as above?

(Already got the discs)

Pete@auto-nation on here, cheapest available, i have brembo hc, ferodo ds2500 and HEL braided lines on mine, very good brake setup

Depends what you're using the car for? Road, then OEM is all you need perhaps with uprated pads. Track, then you might want to consider hardcore aggressive pads, depending on the circuits you use, and your driving style. My Carbon Lorraines withstood 30 mins maximum attack around Rockingham (notorious brake killer). It was impossible to make them fade, and I mean impossible. Keeping the fluid from boiling was the limiting factor. I can't see the DS2500 being that good, but I'm sure they're fine for road and moderate track use. Braided lines are definitely worthwhile. Much more progressive and consistent pedal feel over OEM. If you're a keen track day warrior then you'll also want fresh, high boiling point fluid, which may as well be done anyway if you're changing the lines.

260% JCW
No need for a poll, if you searched (As we have discussed before) you would find the above.

This

You would have also have read posts about EBC build quality, ive had 3 sets Green, Red and Yellow. On each set the pad came away from the back plate. Utter shite.

Id keep an eye on them if i were you.

RS 182 CUP
Had green stuff before not one problem, it should only come away from backing if it's extremely low, if not did you suit them? Where there's blaim there's a claim. I've done searches but it takes forever to find what info I'm after it's much quicker to ask and things couldve changed since the thread I've been Reading was posted.So far redstuff are awesome.

260% JCW
Still had plenty of meat left on the Red's matey, the pad came away and wedged between the disk and caliper. I gave them a go, never again. As for claiming whats the point, the pads aint that expensive plus they'd wriggle out of it.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
With regards to EBC , up till now I have never been a fan of them , but was sent some samples to try the brand new bluestuff compound , and I have to be honest they are the best pad I have tried in a long time , I rate them better than DS2500's and Performance friction Z rated , I know a lot will come back with negatives regarding the greenstuff and redstuff , and I won't disagree , but the new bluestuff are leagues ahead.

I also like the carbonne Lorraines but they are very hard on discs , ran these in the Impreza rally car for a while , but then went back to DS3000's

I am trying to get some sets of bluestuff pads to offer out on here FOC to some members to try , to give some honest feedback on them , I think it will change peoples minds regarding EBC's

RS 182 CUP
Some one some where has had a bad experiance with everything, Thanks for your input ian, nice to see someone else who just doesn't stick to what's been proven and the favorite inthe club

Yozza'd BG
do DS2500s work when cold driving about town and do they give an initial bite better than the OEM's in the same situation?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
do DS2500s work when cold driving about town and do they give an initial bite better than the OEM's in the same situation?

I find them fine around town, definitley more bite than OEM.

However, I find my first press or so of the pedal results in little braking effect until they have at least some heat in them. Nearly crashed because of that before.

260% JCW
Some one some where has had a bad experiance with everything, Thanks for your input ian, nice to see someone else who just doesn't stick to what's been proven and the favorite inthe club

I would'nt class my self as one of the sheep, it does'nt take much to work out the difference between the odd one off and people reporting problem's in numbers. If they've address'd the problem id try them again i need some new pads.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I find them fine around town, definitley more bite than OEM.

However, I find my first press or so of the pedal results in little braking effect until they have at least some heat in them. Nearly crashed because of that before.

I found the same with the DS2500's and PF z rated , nearly ran up the back of someone in my M3 with these fitted ! took them out after a week , thats whats really impressed me with the new Bluestuff pads , they work brilliantly from cold , probably the best pad I have used from cold , and just keep going and going when driving hard

Lionel Richie
we've been using the EBC blues for about 12-18months now (and before you say it, yes i know they've just come out, we helped develop them ;)) good pad

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
They changed the compound about 2 months ago , you are talking about the old compound blues

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
If you want the best brake set up, my advice is shell out for Pagid Blue pads. I have fitted them to 3 of my cars now, they are the best pad I have ever used.

Pagid blues are definitley the pad to go for IMO. Fairly good from cold amazing when up to temp, they dont wreck your paint and they last for ages.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Tries all the pagids , tried just about every pad , I would put the new Bluestuffs on par with the pagid blues , but at a much lower cost

Lionel Richie
They changed the compound about 2 months ago , you are talking about the old compound blues

we helped develop the new compound, we've been using them on the lambos for ages and they work well, same with some of the PF stuff for the astons etc etc

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
If you were that involved , how come your not one of the 5 dealers supplying them ?

Lionel Richie
If you were that involved , how come your not one of the 5 dealers supplying them ?

erm i was simply a mechanic/instructor/adviser for driver dream days, we're a consumer not a supplier, i mean why would the largest driving experience company in the uk be bothered with selling brake pads? We're not! We have 150 super cars that need to stop with billy no clue behind the wheel

one of our instructors happens to be an engineer for EBC, another 2 of which are engineers for PF, if you want names, phone numbers, shoe sizes i can provide them too

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
erm i was simply a mechanic/instructor/adviser for driver dream days, we're a consumer not a supplier, i mean why would the largest driving experience company in the uk be bothered with selling brake pads? We're not! We have 150 super cars that need to stop with billy no clue behind the wheel

one of our instructors happens to be an engineer for EBC, another 2 of which are engineers for PF, if you want names, phone numbers, shoe sizes i can provide them too

A few threads up you mention you were involved with the development with them , and you say why would you bother selling them when you are selling parts for clio's ??

Yes would like the name for the EBC engineer thanks

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Just looked at your web site , and threads by you and you do sell brake pads ? seen you selling Ferodo DS2500's , just wondering , if you were that involved with the development of the new bluestuff pads , how come your not selling them ? just seems a bit odd you coming on saying you were developing them for EBC but don't sell them

Lionel Richie
because the clio world is a funny old world, people seem to stick to "the norm" (insert joke about carbon splitters and turinis here ;)) so getting people to move to something new is a bit like pissing in the wind

DS2500's are one of my biggest sellers, but you'll know yourself the profit margin on them isn't really worth shouting about, my workshop is my business, mail order accounts for about 1% of what i do

and as i mentioned, drivers dream days run about 150 supercars, EBC used us because its easy access to a lot of cars with feedback from 50+ professional instructors

Just looked at your web site , and threads by you and you do sell brake pads ? seen you selling Ferodo DS2500's , just wondering , if you were that involved with the development of the new bluestuff pads , how come your not selling them ? just seems a bit odd you coming on saying you were developing them for EBC but don't sell them

wind your neck in ya t**t

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
wind your neck in ya tw*t

My question was polite , and to the point asking a genuine question , and neither is my neck wound out lol:D

We have just signed up to become a trader on here , and organising with Revels to pick 5 people to be given a set of front and rear grooved discs and EBC bluestuff pads free of charge to give an unbiased opinion on them , the discs are our own make here at Godspeed Brakes which we are giving out free , and the pads have been given free by EBC.

We sell a lot of Ferodo pads here , and find the new Bluestuff pads a better pad with a lower cost , the 5 sets of discs and pads should be with the members towards the end of this week.

Cheers Ian