ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Upgrade

172 CUP
I have decided its time to sort my brakes out and see that i have two main choices.....

1. Uprated pads, discs and hoses from Yozzasport, or
2. Willwood conversion from GDI.

Really i just want some good brakes for fast road driving.
Any advice anyone?

Weeman sucks ****
The Hi carbon discs and Ferodo DS2500's are enough for these unless you want to spend dollars for track use.

Trophy #473
wilwoods are a bit over kill for everyday driving, upratieddisks, pads and lines are sufficent.

nathan

Clio f7r Trackcar
yeah even for track use uprated pads, discs (maybe) and lines are more than enough.

4 pots are overkill, but if you can afford them then why not! ;)

172 CUP
Cheers for the replies,
Am swaying towards the four pot conversion.
Can just about spread my budget to suit, so why not.

Lionel Richie
we're doing free brake fluid on ALL brake kits until the end of the month (rrp is £9.99)

4pots are overkill on a light little clio

Lionel Richie
we're doing free brake fluid on ALL brake kits until the end of the month (rrp is £9.99)

Golf GTI PP Mk7
yeah i think £800 is a bit much for clio brakes really unless ur tracking it day in day out. I was gonna get the discs/pads/lines from yozzasport but in the end my brakes were getting dangerous and i was sking so had to go for the standards, but next time they are up for replacement ill get the upgrade pack. Should be fine.

TDI tyre shreader
Fred i spoke to you earlier, about your greenstuff brake kit, rear pads etc. I just put them through your website and it says its £35 to post?!! Is that right?

Lionel Richie
24hours delivery mate via UPS courier, not the cheapest, but you get it quickly

(forgot to tell you about the free brake fluid)

Are the 4-pots the ones you have to clean out once in a while due to no dust shield things or something??

I'm probably just confused though lol

Are the 4-pots the ones you have to clean out once in a while due to no dust shield things or something??
Depends what type you get ones with dust seals are just like normal calipers none dust sealed you might need to clean up ever year you might not need to do it for years buit parts are dirct cheap anyway.
ask yourself this, if a mk2 clio NEEDS 4pots, why didn't the cup racers have them??
Because Renault wanted to reduce the costs? Why do Team Think + others run 4 pots ?
Each to there own I miss my 4 pots I'd never had said they were overkill they never faded never had any real wear on the disk and pads and were easy to use no squeeks etc.
Cheers for the replies,
Am swaying towards the four pot conversion.
Can just about spread my budget to suit, so why not.
There are very expensive I'd stick with ds2500's and new disk lines etc 4 pots are great but pricy for most kits out there are they worth the money debatable. For most driving including most track work ds2500's are best value realy.
wilwoods are a bit over kill for everyday driving, upratieddisks, pads and lines are sufficent.
You can never had to much braking IMO.

megan R26.R number 006
Originally Posted by FredYozzasport
ask yourself this, if a mk2 clio NEEDS 4pots, why didn't the cup racers have them??
Because Renault wanted to reduce the costs? Why do Team Think + others run 4 pots ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------- if you have ever spoken to any of the Clio cup teams or have ever been in the passenger seat in one you would realise that the calipers that are fitted to the Clio are Moore than enough you just need a good set of brake pad's and disk's

Lionel Richie
yup, aka brembo discs and PF97 pads

i'll quote the journo from track and race car if i must, "f**k me those brakes are awesome, its like headbutting the windscreen! are they 4pots??"

us "nope!"

if you have ever spoken to any of the Clio cup teams or have ever been in the passenger seat in one you would realise that the calipers that are fitted to the Clio are Moore than enough you just need a good set of brake pad's and disk's

Why do other Clio race teams use 4 pots then?

Don't get me wrong there great stock but they have there weeknesses IMO.

enduro racing edde, thats why

Hence there not perfect.

Also seals should last longer on 4 pots. Plus pads are cheaper on 4 pots my old ones were DS2500 or so type compound and were £40 vs £85 or so for ds2500's on a 172. Once you add up say 4 sets of pads over the life you own the car thats £160 plus disk should take less abuse and last longer.

Lionel Richie
edde nothing in the world is perfect!

pads on average aren't actually much cheaper, in some cases you can pay upto £700 for pads

you tell me how much replacement discs costs for 4pots! massivley more expensive!

2005 Nissan Navara
imo

4pots are overkill. as has been said, decent pad/disc combo is enough. i prefer brembo max discs and ds2500 pads....no fade.

the whole point of 4pots ISNT too simply increase clamping force...one of the major factors is heat dissipation. i.e. an ally body will disipate more than a cast steel one...therefore the onset of brake fade is delayed due to a cooler braking area. SO if you dont get fade on std calipers, why upgrade??

fair enough you can consider unsprung/sprung mass and all suspension dynamics....but 99.9% of us arent going ANYWHERE near that.

Also, if you havnt got any form of brake bias control, you are in trouble....as you WILL need to increase braking bias to the front when fitting 4pots.

megan R26.R number 006
if you have ever spoken to any of the Clio cup teams or have ever been in the passenger seat in one you would realise that the calipers that are fitted to the Clio are Moore than enough you just need a good set of brake pad's and disk's

Why do other Clio race teams use 4 pots then?

Don't get me wrong there great stock but they have there weeknesses IMO.

team boulevard racing run one of there Clio's in a endurance race seres and use stock calipers and pf 97 brake pad's

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
imo 4pots would be an advantage even for hard road use let alone track but cost wise its hard to justify when the standard kit is pretty good.

As a matter of interest what are the weights of a FF182, the Yozzasport car and the cup racers?

Lionel Richie
FF is around 1100kg, we're about 30kg lighter than a cup racer (ie way sub 1000), dunno exactly haven't been down the weigh bridge in a while

weight does play a factor, but we've got customers who run std cars on PF's and get no fade

megan R26.R number 006
imo 4pots would be an advantage even for hard road use let alone track but cost wise its hard to justify when the standard kit is pretty good.

As a matter of interest what are the weights of a FF182, the Yozzasport car and the cup racers?
i know that Fred and yozz are trying to get the cup down to 1000kg i am not shore what the weight of the Clio cup's are but should have thought that its about the weight that Fred and yozz are aiming for