ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes, choices

Ok. MOT time and need to replace all my discs and pads on my valver. These are my ideas?

1) Stick with standard on the back

2) Get some Tarox 40 grooves and Tarox pads for the front, or Brembo Max discs and pads?

I was wondering if this is overkill as I rarly experience brake fade, but it does normally scare me silly when I do.

BenR, you seem to be the expert on the brake front I was wondering what exactly you have as you dont seem to think the expensive stuff is needed?

Ive got black diamond grooved discs and green stuff pads on the front and standard on the back.

Ive never had break fade with them even after breaking from 100 down to nothing as fast as is possible without skidding, with quite heavy use directly before that also.

I didnt think they were all that expensive, cant remember the exact cost but it was something like £130 for the lot.

I love having no black dust from the pads though, much better than standard ones.

Right, what is needed or best for you depends what you do mostly. I reguarly do track days but i still run a completely standard brake setup.

Std ferodo pads (same as those from halfords) and std plain discs, i NEVER get fade on track nor rd, under any circumstances.

Its far more important to have consistant and predicatble braking than some soddingly great mu number which onyl arrives when your pads hit 500C. So, i like my brakes to work first time, 100mph on the motorway and you dont want to be waiting for the brakes to warm up in an emergency.

Id much rather run std affair brakes with some sort of cooling system setup for when its needed rather than brakes that come on with heat and get progressively more agressive, meaning youll actually have to back off the pedal as the mu increases with heat.

but its up to you.

Ive got standard back and KTec big brakes on the front, but i got that purely for cosmetics, the standard brakes were good on mine.

The KTEC brakes work very good, but to be totally honest the pads are crap unless you are doing some serious stopping and starting and can get them hot, like what Ben said. So crap infact that ive got new standard pads to stick in there just havent got round to it yet( the EBCs are still fine just hate them), i cant stand the feeling of having no brakes, then after a few fast braking efforts feeling like they are going to throw me through the glass, rather just have decent brakes constantly.

Fro street driving stick with the stock pads and discs. They will serve well. I have over 500km of track driving on the street pads on my Ragnotti and they dont fade. Only problem I get is a bit of a deposit on the disc causing judder.

Ill be changing to a more track orieinted pad in the spring, but for 99.9% of driving the stock setup is fine.