ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes don't look to good, help?!

Hi

Whilst my car was up on a lift on Tuesday evening, the first time since I've had the 197, I decided to check all round the underneath to make sure everything is at is should be and there is no damage or anything hanging off.

I looked on the inner side of my front brake discs and found them to be very pitted, and even chunks missing out of them on the surface! I just really want to know if this is normal or not? I have never seen anything like this before on my 172, so am slightly worried to be honest. The brakes seem fine, they work, but don't feel as mega as people make them out to be, only slightly better than on my 172 which was running Tarox G88's and Black Diamond pads. Pictures below.

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

Before I bought the car it had a full 112 point inspection, and 3 month/3000 mile warranty on it, which has now passed as I have done over 3000 miles. What I want to know is, if this is not how it should be, can this happen over such a short distance/period of time?

Any help would be great:)

Adam

Last edited:
  BMW E36 328i Sport
I noticed this on my 182 the other day the pads were also glazed, I think maybe the caliper had seized not sure though.

Clio Mk2 Ph3
Depending on where you live. In places further south, they used salt and a mixture of sand and salt!!!This,destroy the disc!!!!!!You have to wash under the car,2 time a month in the winter.Especially in GB.

Anybody know what causes this? It can't be the salt/sand thing, as they where not like this when I bought the car, and have only had it 2 months so no sand/salt has been used on the road in that time.

In a way it gives me an excuse to buy some shiny k-tec 2 piece discs and ferrodo ds2500's, but would like to know why they appear to made of cheese?

You don't know what causes it do you? If you reckon they've been like that for a while I may speak to the dealer I bought it from, its only in the past week or two they have not felt as sharp as they did.

Just to mention, this is only on the inside of the disc on each side.

Evo 8 MR
I wouldn't worry about it personally. Either replace them or don't replace them.

Discs are a wear and tear part of the vehicle so wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway afaik.

182cup & 172 racecar
You need to change them really,I wouldn't be happy driving around on those.

Thats not just happened either.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Disks always seem to wear more on the inside and it looks pretty normal for a disk that needs changing... The inspection would just just check they were fine at the time of sale which they probably were.

Yer have just ready my warranty, and you're right steve. Will get new ones ordered tomorrow. They don't seem as good as they first did, whether that's because I am now used to them, or because they have got worse I don't know, but to be safe I think it's best to get some new ones.

Thanks for the offer G 172 but going to go for the K-tec two piece kit I think, or the Brembo Black Edition HC's with Ferrodo pads. Unless you can supply the Brembo Blacks and pads? Let me know if you can and what price.

i had the same thing check my threads, i think its just due to age i assume they were on the car from when you got it?
went for brembo HC discs with stock pads, cant fault them!

edit: scrap all i said, finally realized you said 197 >.>