ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes knocking or clunking?

Hi

Got a strange braking problem, when braking at very slow speed I get a knocking or clunking from the brake pedal, feels like the abs kicking in at the front??

Car has just been serviced and the brakes were fine, front pads and discs were replaced not long ago for Ferodo Ds2500 and Brembo HC discs. These also squeal like a bugger any chance a bit of copper grease would sort these out.

Cheers

Hi

Just a bit more info, I disconnected the abs and the clunking knocking goes away.

Anybody any ideas none of the warning lights are illuminated.

Thanks

Cheers Edde

Are these easy to check myself. Any thoughts how much either of these will cost?

Cheers

Sensors are £30 or so you can get second hand hubs for £40 though and trying to chnage the sensors is a pain.

Rings well there need pushing back to fit. chack the driveshaft gaiter sfor cracks new ones well IMO its easier to get a hwole new shaft for about £150 but a garage often will just replace the gaiter say 1 hours labout and £30 for the gaiter.

Easy enough to chnach heel off ang straring at full lock and have a look round for grease etc.

Last edited:
  172 cup,s2 rs turbo
you can visually check the target rings yourself. Anything more than that reqs a diagnostic check

Well just back from the steelers, what a bunch of arse...

Put in on the clip machine and found a fault with a sensor but could not determine which one.... Quoted 150 each for one type and 50 each for another I presume front and back.

Two proposed choices, continue to drive it for a while and let a code fault develop so they can ident. which one is at fault or replace all four.

Whats the story? There must be a way of find out which one is faulty?? And how much should they be, and can I find an alternative source.

Cheers

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Wherebouts in the world are you? Probably best to take it to someone thats not Renault to get another opinion, maybe they'll be able to find the fault

GR7

Shiny red R32
Hi

Got a strange braking problem, when braking at very slow speed I get a knocking or clunking from the brake pedal, feels like the abs kicking in at the front??

Car has just been serviced and the brakes were fine, front pads and discs were replaced not long ago for Ferodo Ds2500 and Brembo HC discs. These also squeal like a bugger any chance a bit of copper grease would sort these out.

Cheers
I have had EXACTLY the same thing for a couple of weeks and it almost feels like there's a piece of metal under the brake pedal. I'm sure there's another topic about this somewhere because I posted on it the other day!

My mechanic lay under my car and said a ring thing was split because rust had caused it to enlarge (or something like that - he explained how the ABS works but I forgot what he said) and he wondered if he could buy just a new ring and was told by Renault that I have to buy a complete driveshaft (?) at a cost of around £160. :eek:

He said it's quite common and he did the same thing recently on a Freelander only the driveshaft cost £350

I suppose I'd better get it fixed but I think I'm going to get a new car in a couple of months as there's always something needing replaced now and I've spent a bit of money on my car in the past few months... new timing belt, new brake discs and pads and a couple more things and now this!

Someone suggested taking out the fuse of the ABS but would a warning light show up if I did this then part exchanged it for a new car in May?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I think when you take the fuse out of the ABS you get equal braking on all four wheels. Not good!

GR7

Shiny red R32
I've dug out this topic because I was in my local garage yesterday and thought I'd better get this sorted and the mechanic rang Renault to see if he could buy just a ring to replace the one that's rusted and split but no, it has to be the complete driveshaft that is about £165 plus VAT.

Apparently Renault had in the past fitted some reconditioned driveshafts because of the fault (common in many aging vehicles) but drivers found that their airbags were going off at around 75mph so they recommend that complete driveshafts are fitted so mine should be here tomorrow.

Has anyone else had this problem?

GR7

Shiny red R32
You can just buy rings.
Tell me how then because the Renault dealer said I can't!!!
I would hate to have to pay £160 plus VAT if I could get away with just a ring!!

Is there a Renault person here who would know?

Sensors are £30 or so you can get second hand hubs for £40 though and trying to chnage the sensors is a pain.

ABS Sensors are £60 from renault.

Often a b**ch to remove the old one as myself and Mike (Rentech) discovered!

GR7

Shiny red R32

ABS Sensors are £60 from renault.

Mine is a rusted and split ABS RING and the mechanic said that even if he were able to fit just a ring, the problem that caused it to split (namely rust) would still be there! (Or something like that)!

Arr right thought thye were less last time I ahd a look.

They are a right pain.
You can just buy rings.
Tell me how then because the Renault dealer said I can't!!!
I would hate to have to pay £160 plus VAT if I could get away with just a ring!!

Is there a Renault person here who would know?
Best try and other dealership.
Mine is a rusted and split ABS RING and the mechanic said that even if he were able to fit just a ring, the problem that caused it to split (namely rust) would still be there! (Or something like that)!
Depends how bad it is might be able to clean up the shaft.

GR7

Shiny red R32
My car's all sorted now... a new driveshaft was put on this morning and
the 'clunking' feeling under the brake pedal has disappeared!