ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes not working on cold start!

172 Cup
Over the past couple of days when I start my car in the morning to go to work or after work my brakes dont seem to work. After I pump them about ten times they seem to gradually feel better and then they feel normal.

They come back pretty quickly, sometimes before I reach the end of our side street, but initially there's nothing. They've been fine over Christmas so it may not be down to cold weather. I'm not sure what is going on.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Clio 172 Cup
My Cup is the same, but I was putting it down to the cheap disk and pads on it.

Got some Brembo HC's and CL pads to fit next weekend with a brake fluid change.

See if I get a better feeling.

My Cup is the same, but I was putting it down to the cheap disk and pads on it.

Got some Brembo HC's and CL pads to fit next weekend with a brake fluid change.

See if I get a better feeling.

Lol. They'll pop your eyes out of their sockets, never mind give a better feeling. Incredible brake pads. If you're changing the fluid, you should fit braided hoses IMO. Fairly unbeatable setup. The CL's will never fade. Not ever. You'll boil your fluid long before they give up.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
You could always try and bleed the brakes again to see if anything changes, most probably just air in the system

172 Cup
Well I fitted Brembo HC discs with cheap Renault pads, not a great pad choice I know but I don't do track stuff. They've been fine until now and suddenly they've gone to s**t, maybe I do need some more pads. I'll check the wear on em tomorrow.

172 cup
My cup has just started to do that as well... pretty dodgy if you forget to pump them before hitting the main road! My pads and discs seem fine, so will try bleeding them at some point. Can't see how it would suddenly start though?!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has been doing this on cold mornings.

When it was over the pit last night I found out I need pads all round and new front discs. Annoying thing is just 2 months ago when i had my bonnet catch done renault reported my discs and pads as being in new condition, might have saved my discs if they had not been so slack :( .

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm guessing the salty wet conditions at the moment, combined with the fresh surface on the disc ? Mine feel a bit crunchy first thing but its just the rusty surface.

172 Cup
My alarm has always been fine. Brakes have been fine all today, I've left the car for a couple of hours between short drives. It seems to do it only when it's been standing cold for a long period, i.e. over night or a long shift at work.

Looking to sell the thing now I think, gonna go sniff round a few garages tomorrow.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Odd mines doing this to, only last couple of days though.

Clio 172 Cup
I think Renault has got us all hooked upto a wireless network and just start the problems from HQ, everything has came at once for me lol

Clio 182 arctic
ive got Brembo HC's, DS2500 and braided lines and i have found my brakes to be incredibly sharp in the cold morning.
when i first had them fitted the guy at the garage bedded them in for me, but tbh i wasnt too impressed, it took a good 1000miles before they really started to work, and now im more than happy with them, got the package from ktec in the memers area a good few months back now.

My 182 has also been doing this the last couple of weeks! It's kind of like the first time I hit the brakes after pulling away there is no vacuum assist. Not nice when your not expecting it.

172 Cup
This morning the brakes have been fine. It's 5c outside so maybe it was to do with the cold weather. I'll keep an eye on em (or a foot).

172 Cup
Well that's another point, they ain't been bled for ages. But on the other hand it's been fine over the Christmas period with temperatures as low as -8, and now it's started to warm up it's been playing up. Mystery. Seems ok now.