ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Braking Distances

here is one for everyone to try...highway code says that from 30 you will take 14 metres to stop once the brakes are applied.

Running std RSi brakes (R5 GTT) thats 239mm discs, runnign brembo std discs and pagid fast road pads on the fronts and absoloutly knackered OE discs and pads on the back.

30-0 in 2-3metres tops....basically just under the width of the lower curb for a normal single driveway.

How does everyone else compare?

Thats ridiculous(sp) lol!

Whats the stopping distance at 70mph in the highway code?

Im having 310mm 4pots fitted on Thursday and bet I could stop under the figure from 100mph!

Remember, these figures are for sh*tbox 1950s cars that actually did take that long to stop (and longer!)

Well ive ducked inot a layby to get outt he way of a cop car before...short layby prolly room for 4 cars tops...and ive stopped form 60 in that space...oh and there was a car in there..... 55 mtrs for 60 actual braking distance, this is ignoring thinking distance....but then i ave pretty good reaction times...total is 6 car lengths form 30...18 car lengths from 60....only quotes car lengths for total times, car length come up at about 3.8 mtrs

What you have to remember too is that when ppl have to stop in an emergency most people just slap their foot ont he brakes and lock up...i know ive done it...wherre as doing the brake tests you are thinking about it rather then relying on instinct....not a prob for those of you wiht ABS i know

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

The Highway Code drastically needs updating. Brake tech has moved on so much since those days. I think those brake distances merely apply to trucks these days! :p

D.

With those distances it must have been based on a car with no brakes @ all lol. that is just stupid. still dont understand why we get charged more money for a car insurance because our cars can pull of faster than say a 1.1 but we dont get money of because our cars can stop in @ least half the distance most 1.1 can stop. and i would say the most important factor for your insurance should be if your brakes are any good. never hear of anyone crashing because their car pulled of to quick but always hear about people smashing into each other because they couldnt slow down quick enougth.

surely the distances are that big to compensate for lack of attention on the road etc i.e. not just the time it takes for you to put your foot on the pedal but the time it takes for you to realise somethings up and put it on the pedal. probably also compensates for skidding too.