ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brands Hatch circuit alteration - Graham Hill Bend

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Happening this winter, probably one of the biggest changes to the Indy circuit for a good few years. Graham Hill Bend has been played around with in the past but this is a big change.
In other words, it simply won't exist anymore.

brands-hatch-changes-e1324047676783.png

Doesn't appear to be that widely known about but it would appear that this track alteration is for the benefit of the bikes rather than the cars.

Full story is here. http://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/brands-hatch-changes-2012/

Titanium 182
A hairpin up to another hairpin? I quite like that, but they're pushing in to the run in area of Paddock Hill, and I've seen cars come in there before! I'm sure it's well thought through though...

Oil Burner
This did the rounds back in November/December.

They have applied for planning permission, but from what i've heard it wont be happening inside the next 12 months.

I am actually in favour of it (as long as they can retain the existing corner - which i doubt could be done), it would produce a corner with a big elevation change on the approach (something lacking from 90% of circuits these days).

There are never cars that close to the inside of paddock. It only just goes past the existing barrier. However it will require run off and i dont see where they will find the space for that, especially given the access road. They have already had issues with trucks trying to go through this with the existing corner. So i dont see that being safe for the trucks.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Personally I love Brands and not once did I get bored. In fact I find it difficult to believe how anyone can ever be bored on a race track!

Obviously its horses for courses, but ironically I've never had a huge desire to go round Goodwood as it looks dull.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
That could be quite good for clio's actually. I always find that as i take Graham Hill in 3rd, the clio bogs down a little pulling up the straight to Surtees/McLaren.

With a hairpin there instead, i'll more than likely be in 2nd, which will allow me to be on the power earlier from the 1st apex, then no doubt flat through the 2nd apex in 3rd, then up towards Surtees that little bit quicker. I like.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
For me the only corner at Brands that feels like a real challenge is Paddock, massive gradient change, unsighted upon entry...all the rest are a bit meh.

At Goodwood they pretty much all take balls to commit to.

Monotony perhaps wasn't the right word...but I find it a bit repetitive...here's Graham Hill bend, 60 seconds and 4 corners later, oh, here it is again LOL.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I agree the Indy circuit is all too brief, but the GP, well, I need to get on that, even if trackdays on it are like hens teeth and uber pricey.
I've no doubt Goodwood, like Thruxston, takes a degree of ballsiness, more so a lot of common sense to not lift when you feel you want to. I'd love a go on both but not hugely bothered.

Dave you were obviously doing as I have done, looking at how you can straighten out the kink from the apex of the hairpin to the exit of the right hander!

If I'm honest I'm happy as it is, quite liked Grahame Hill as it is pretty challenging to get it perfect, and fast without running off too much.

Either way whatever happens, still love Brands. A repetitive however amazingly satisfying circuit in my eyes.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I quite like Graham Hill Bend, but I guess most of the challenge is the downhill approach and getting braking and turn-in right rather than the actual corner.

I suppose as long as they don't lose that, I guess an extra corner wouldn't be a bad thing, but it's not going to make a massive difference to a short lap.

Chocolate Orange 172
Looks interesting, having never been round Brands I might have to get in there before this new corner is introduced. Will be able to tell the difference then lol

Turbos.
Graham Hill is a good corner because it has a challenging entry (difficult not to lock up as braking in a straight line is a challenge), it requires you to be very precise (and when you are, it is a fast corner), and then the exit kerb is 'exciting' to say the least in a light car. It gets my goat when people slate Brands; don't blame the circuit, blame yourself. You ain't driving fast enough...

With the Snetterton layout i've grown to like it, but i still miss the old circuit. It will probably be the same feeling for Graham Hill, or whatever they decide to call it.