ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bt homehub5 and dns server issues

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Everything was fine yesterday day time but last night my Internet stopped working

I got a little yellow triangle in bottom right corner where the wifi is and I couldn't connect to the net. when I did the IE fix fault thing I say dns server isn't responding.

this morning I have 3 laptops with my, my own W8, my own W7 and my work W7, all doing the same thing. wont connect to the internet and all saying dns server isn't responding.

after being on the phone to India for 30 mins, they told me my bt homehub5 is working perfect and there is a fault with all 3 of my laptops, after disagreeing I managed to get her to put me through to a proper technical place in the UK.

guy was very helpful got me to change the ip addy, submask and dns settings and everything came back online. I tried to explore what was/has caused this issue and he didn't really give an answer.

the problem is I work from home every Thursday and Friday like im suppose to be now, my work laptop is totally locked down and I cannot change these settings. so my work laptop will be set to auto ip and dns settings.

any work arounds anyone knows of?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Can't really add much other than I regularly have DNS issues with my HH5.

To get round it, I've split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels and use the 5Ghz channel exclusively for my MBP, because it can utilise 5Ghz, this seems to work for me.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Can't really add much other than I regularly have DNS issues with my HH5.

To get round it, I've split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels and use the 5Ghz channel exclusively for my MBP, because it can utilise 5Ghz, this seems to work for me.
I see, I read somewhere this morning that 2.4 is suppose to be quicker than 5??

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
So can you change the dns settings on ya phone so it will connect to the net?

I can't find em on my xperia

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Connecting via 5 or 2.4 is not often a choice you can make (on the device that is), you can't force it, so the best way to do it is to go into the settings of the HomeHub and give the 2.4 and 5Ghz connections different names, and then you can choose specifically which one to connect to, so for example I connect to 8TSH-5Ghz, as I've named my 5Ghz network as that.

You'll need to check your network card in your lappy has 5Ghz capability, many devices don't.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
its a brand new dell laptop so should be

need to phone bt again tonight as its just silly. if they have dns server issue then they should fix em.

still this morning there are dns issues

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
it would seem on a bt home hub you cant rename 2.4 and 5 different names. its jut one name for both :(

Can you change the dns settings on the home hub itself? Never looked at one so don't know if its locked down. It sounds like a BT issue though and they should fix it really.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
after a week of no internet im back up and running.

Can you change the dns settings on the home hub itself? Never looked at one so don't know if its locked down. It sounds like a BT issue though and they should fix it really.

There was a thread on this a few weeks back - the HH is s**t for losing DNS when you have a few clients connected to the hub, presumably its just not designed to handle more than a handful.

I even started using Googles DNS (I use it anyway), and that didnt help, the HH just blocked port 80 until I reset the router...

We gave up and bought a new router that isn't turd, no issues since!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
There was a thread on this a few weeks back - the HH is s**t for losing DNS when you have a few clients connected to the hub, presumably its just not designed to handle more than a handful.

I even started using Googles DNS (I use it anyway), and that didnt help, the HH just blocked port 80 until I reset the router...

We gave up and bought a new router that isn't turd, no issues since!

now I tried this and failed. we have fibre optic and you need some special information/special setup to work with fibre optic if im not mistaken?

now I tried this and failed. we have fibre optic and you need some special information/special setup to work with fibre optic if im not mistaken?

Ahh - you're on HH5?

Good point - ours was a HH4, but because it was older meant we had a seperate modem (OpenReach), we still use that... good point sorry, unless you have an OpenReach modem, no luck :'(

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I also have an HH4 with openreach box ;)

so I can plug the open reach box into anything?

whats a good wireless router?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
The hh5 is working again now.

I've connected a Ethernet cable to one of the 4 sockets on the back of the hh5 and ran it to my workshop, I've then plugged the other end of the Ethernet cable into a hh4 but I'm not getting any Internet. Sadly I'm getting the orange light not blue light. I know there is Internet down the cable as when I plug it directly into my laptop I get Internet.

Is there a way to connect a hh4 to a hh5?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
The hh5 is working again now.

I've connected a Ethernet cable to one of the 4 sockets on the back of the hh5 and ran it to my workshop, I've then plugged the other end of the Ethernet cable into a hh4 but I'm not getting any Internet. Sadly I'm getting the orange light not blue light. I know there is Internet down the cable as when I plug it directly into my laptop I get Internet.

Is there a way to connect a hh4 to a hh5?
I believe the hh4 needs to be configured to be a wireless access point?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
oh I see, is that just a tick box or a bit more involved?

will google it later

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I'm glad I am not the only one - having a nightmare with this crap - Billion £140 router bought and still having evening issues

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Bit of googling and some faffing and got the hh4 working.

So got the hh5 in the house and the hh4 in the work shop connected via a long Ethernet cable. Seems to be working well