ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT Vision

1.8 Civic EX
Am I right in thinking its basically a freeview box with no HD channels but with the ability to record etc?

Is th viewin card just for the sports channels?

If so its a bit s**t really yes?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
The main feature is the on-demand service which I use all of the time and it is fantastic it also has real iPlayer.

So no it certainly isn't s**t.

1.8 Civic EX
Ok forget the in demand bit. The channels you can watch are just the free view ones right? And they aren't hd either?

SQ5
It is fantastically s**t! It so slow and clunky.

Your better off buying a normal Freeview (HD) + box and if you want iPlayer etc... Buy a Sony BluRay for £100

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Ok forget the in demand bit. The channels you can watch are just the free view ones right? And they aren't hd either?

Yes, I think it can do HD as it has HDMI port but I have never looked into it and HD would be available via the On Demand service.

It is fantastically s**t! It so slow and clunky.

Your better off buying a normal Freeview (HD) + box and if you want iPlayer etc... Buy a Sony BluRay for £100

It may be a tad slow but it also has hundreds of programmes available to watch anytime which is far superior to what you can get on a blu-ray player.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
had it... sent it back.. terrible... the "movie pack" was full of films old films... nothing like the sky movie pack.

software is slow and dim witted, the iplayer function wassnt much cop either...

have a PS3 for blueray and iplayer...

My best description is its like YouTube... but you pay for it... and its not HD lol

sent the Bt vision back after 3 days of having it installed (it dossnt work for the first day).....(that took 4 months for them to take it back.. after they tried to make us pay for the entire 2 year contract...but i didnt fall for that.. i know all about the cooling off period)

Avoid like the plague!

1.8 Civic EX
I'm using it now. Set it up for my old man who will never use the on demand stuff. He got it for "all the extra channels" as it was sold to him. It's bugger all different to the free view he already has built into the tv. In fact it's worse cos it's very slow and in responsive. Thinks its going back in the box an being returned. Pile of turd.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Thinks its going back in the box an being returned. Pile of turd.

best of luck

I predict the following scenarios....

"If you would like to explain the problem- then i know what department to refer you to"
"no sir there is no 14 day cooling off period" (even though we asked if there was) "i'll have to listen to the original conversation"
"the tape team still havent got back to us"
"No sir you cannot return it to us directly you need an RMA number"
"im sorry sir i didnt speak to you yesterday, if you would like to explain the problem"

after explaing the problem and ringing back the next day:-

Hi there id like to speak to your manager, as you WILL NOT be able to help me, ive had this is my 9th phonecall to you this week, and i dont want to upset you by being irate with you as YOU have done nothing wrong.

"ok sir, if you would like to explain the problem i'll see what i can do to help"

You didnt listen to me at all, just put me through to your manager.

"but if you explain the problem sir...."

put me though to your manager, put me though to your manager, put me though to your manager, put me though to your manager, put me though to your manager

"ok sir please hold"

"im sorry he's still waiting on the tapes team to get back to him"

can i have the tapes team phone number please/.......

" they dont have a phone number"

Well no wonder they havent been in touch!!

f**k YOU BT!!

dk

911 GTS Cab
They don't use tapes either, it's all recorded to hard drives these days, they can retrieve a phonecall in minutes if they wish.

I had bt vision up until 3 years ago when I was able to get sky, it's ok really, not as bad as people are making out here, but it depends how savvy you are really. They changed the pricing structure too, it was much better before as it hardly cost anything for everything included.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
BT Vision is about to be replaced with YouView boxes, which will be epically clever.

Basically integrated TV catchup, so go to tv guide as you normally would select a programe thats already been on and it plays.

Worth waiting for Youview through BT if, like me, your house isn't cabled and you don't want Sky. They should be using the Humax box (a very good thing), which will mean Youview, Freeview HD and BT Vision in one package.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Looks quite a smart system. I don't watch enough TV to justify it however.

SQ5
It may be a tad slow but it also has hundreds of programmes available to watch anytime which is far superior to what you can get on a blu-ray player.

Tad? Have you ever used Sky? You can subscribe to LoveFilm and Netflix too on the BluRay players which are better.

But the Sky service for movies is brilliant.

How much does BT Vision cost? Initial and Monthly?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Costs £12.50 for the unlimited package on a 12 month contract with a £40 activation fee. Unless you are me and it's free as I work for BT ;)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Tad? Have you ever used Sky? You can subscribe to LoveFilm and Netflix too on the BluRay players which are better.

But the Sky service for movies is brilliant.

How much does BT Vision cost? Initial and Monthly?

I guess "Tad" must be a midlander term, means a touch.

Yes I have used sky and it is quite good but when I had it I found the movies to be repetitive and the packages to be very expensive whereas BT Vision gave me a much wider range of programmes and all to watch whenever i felt like it, sky didn't offer that then and I know they have the Sky anytime thing but that isn't as good as what BT offer.

Have you ever used BT Vision?

SQ5
I guess "Tad" must be a midlander term, means a touch.

Yes I have used sky and it is quite good but when I had it I found the movies to be repetitive and the packages to be very expensive whereas BT Vision gave me a much wider range of programmes and all to watch whenever i felt like it, sky didn't offer that then and I know they have the Sky anytime thing but that isn't as good as what BT offer.

Have you ever used BT Vision?

Yea I know what tad means, was being sarcastic as its very clunky!

Sky Anytime+ is brilliant compared to BT vision, the amount of new films outweighs BT Vision by miles. Most films released on BluRay and DVD are on Sky within a week or two now. BT Vision has a lot of old content.

I've used it quite a few times for customers that have decided they spend too much on sky or have a flat in London where they won't need Sky and have bought along with their broadband. The startup time is poor aswell.

Another thing I noticed was recording, it takes about 2-3 seconds before it tells you it's recorded. Although most other recording devices are slow with relaying media from a HDD except from Sky.

I have just started using bt vision moving from sky, I think it's really good I'm always using the on demand features.

Yeah compared to sky it's more complicated to set up series record IMO but once you get used to it everything's fine. I don't miss sky at all.

1.8 Civic EX
Canceled in one simple phone call. Gotta love my old man...

I want to cancel and return all this stuff

Can I ask why sir?

My son said its crap

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Just been offered BT Vision with
my broadband upgrade? It's £3 less than what I'm paying already, plus I go from 40 to unlimited usage. Got to be worth it at that surely?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I have it, the box is proper glitchy imo, shuts down on its own etc.... Its ok for the rented property i'm in and at under £30 a moth with SS1&2 its not to be sniffed at, but its no Sky tbh. If the box was glitch free i'd be pretty happy tbh. Lots on the BT forums about the same issues

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've had this for about 8 months and it seems OK. I only got it as our free view box died and i didn't want to spend much on a new one.
Paid £50 for the BT box and they fix/replace it for free if it breaks. Pay £4 per month for it. Started going glitchy the other day though but I've had sky boxes do the same.

Honda. Tesla Someday
I work for BT and have had BT Vision since before it was released to the general public.

Right now I am beta testing the new software, which is a great update.

You'll see what I mean once its launched.

The OnDemand stuff is great as we get new movies on there fast. Even 'The Avengers' is on there On Demand in HD.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Will that update roll out to everyone or will it need a new box / new contract etc?

They need to have the HD free view channels IMO, something that the guy on the phone told me it had when I ordered it! Fecker!

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Will have hd Freeview when the youview variant of bt vision is available from october 26th.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Will that update roll out to everyone or will it need a new box / new contract etc?

They need to have the HD free view channels IMO, something that the guy on the phone told me it had when I ordered it! Fecker!

Its just a whole new software update :)

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
y8e8apyp.jpg

Just installing it now.