ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Build Quality... Pi**ed

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
We've heard a lot lately on here about people's beautiful Apple hardware breaking, and I, like many, just put it down to coincidence....

Turns out, it's not. Apple's build quality is actually worse than what Dell have to offer....

I've had my mac about a month and a half now, it's never even left my bedroom, using it tonight and the touchpad on the left side just collapses.

It no longer clicks or works at all, and is randomly clicking all over the place, making this a SERIOUS pain to type.

It'll be going back first thing tomorrow. But that's not the damn point.

This is the first laptop I've ever owned that's developed a fault completely of it's own accord, no due to wear and tear etc.... FFS

serves you right for buying an apple, you cant pose at starbucks with a broken laptop can you?:rasp:

Only joking I think they are now made in China and build quality is bad as people get depressed making them I think.

LY 182
Dammit. I still heart Apple. At least you got a chance to try and blag something for free now!

Tbh when I get an iMac I hope it has a few problems and I can try and blag a free SSD upgrade or something crazy. :cool:

Clio 172
serves you right for buying an apple, you cant pose at starbucks with a broken laptop can you?:rasp:

Only joking I think they are now made in China and build quality is bad as people get depressed making them I think.

They have been for years I believe!

The older MacBooks without the unibody case used to start cracking around the edges where people closed them a bit harsh, not sure if this still happens on the unibody.

6f9w7tf.jpg

Mk4 .:R32
Mmm, you pay the premium for the service and aftercare though. If it's faulty you'll get a new one without having to fart around.

I've got a toshiba laptop from about 3.5 years ago....I'm so close to smashing it up. It takes about 10 minutes to load up, still seems to be loading something even if you leave it for another half an hour. Can't run a single application (e.g. internet explorer) without struggling, and the battery (when 100% full) lasts about an hour!

I'm considering using student discount on a macbook pro!

LY 182
Lol. Sounds like my old laptop. 5-10 mins to load up and get things working at a reasonable pace. Noisy as f**k. Ugly as f**k. Battery lasts about 5-10 mins when fully charged LOL.

If you can afford a MBP do it!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
My iPhone 4 is going back tomorrow as it keeps saying there is no SIM card in it half way through calls etc.

A4 Avant
I love apple products but I think build quality and durability is appalling. Only upside is they're pretty good at replacing things.

I'm on my third iPod 80gig, my 2nd iPhone (this ones case has also cracked). My brothers on his 4th MacBook and 3rd MacBook pro.

In comparison my work laptop is 4 years old, is perfect, runs intensive cad/renderings most days and is still on it's original windows install. We're pricing switching to macs for work now that autocad is available, but apart from style were struggling to find many reasons.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
How much warranty do you get with an iPhone? Say an upgrade from you provider.

God old poor man's macbook has never missed a beat for me. It hasn't cracked either as I'm not the kind of mong who slams down the screen to close it.
The mini I bought second hand is pretty old in tech terms, and at least 3 years old, and that still works brilliantly.

2014 Focus Titanium
My first iPhone 3GS fucked up because I dropped it from 2ft onto a laminate floor (it has a case on too) and got the white screen of death - I had to claim on insurance which I wasn't best pleased with.

Also, anyone complaining about laptops not being as fast as macbooks, you need a lesson in how to run them. My 3 year old £330 laptop is lightning quick and can happily run photoshop, illustrator, outlook, chrome, IE, word, excel without even stopping for breath.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
OH NOESSSSSSSS!

I'm selling up.

Anyone got the number for Dell?

But c'mon 'topher, the amount of people on here that have had problems it's quite bad, yourself included.

Fine, the service is sublime, but you don't buy something expecting to take it back every five minutes. It just seems the premium, is basically for the image, and not for the actual quality of the product.

Sent from my iphone, because my MBP's fucked.

rs 200
I follow simple rules for desktops - HP or DIY(for home)
Laptops - HP
Phone - HTC where you can (forgot this rule and impulse bought an iphone, i hate it)
servers- hp
home network stuff - linksys
printers - hp
work switches or routers - hp or cisco
firewalls - cisco
Servers - hp
OS - windows 7, XP 2003 r2, or 2008 r2

I Dont buy dell because when i worked in a school you would get 30 deliverd and only 50% worked, i think they have improved just cant bring myself to trust them.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
But c'mon 'topher, the amount of people on here that have had problems it's quite bad, yourself included.

Fine, the service is sublime, but you don't buy something expecting to take it back every five minutes. It just seems the premium, is basically for the image, and not for the actual quality of the product.

Not really. My issues were all cosmetic. Not really Apple's fault since they clearly all happened in transit in my case.

Plus, my issues were f*cking tiny. A few people on here have had issues lately, namely you and Shadowness.

You're still in the minority, even on CS.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks JDminiiiiii!

What's the recommendation for insurance and apple care side of things?

Buy apple care after 12 months?

Mass made electronics will always have faults. It's just how it is.

The percentage is tiny. You're just being a drama queen. You've been going on about the faults of them even before you bought it, you pretty much wanted it to go wrong so you can moan about it.

Take it back and they'll fix it. Problem solved.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Pretty much.

Take your fingers back, too. They aren't compatible with Apple's awesome glass trackpads. ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Thanks JDminiiiiii!

What's the recommendation for insurance and apple care side of things?

Buy apple care after 12 months?

Depends if you're keeping it.

I've always relied on the 12 month Applecare warranty, then my insurance.

LY 182
I follow simple rules for desktops - HP or DIY(for home)
Laptops - HP
Phone - HTC where you can (forgot this rule and impulse bought an iphone, i hate it)
servers- hp
home network stuff - linksys
printers - hp
work switches or routers - hp or cisco
firewalls - cisco
Servers - hp
OS - windows 7, XP 2003 r2, or 2008 r2

I Dont buy dell because when i worked in a school you would get 30 deliverd and only 50% worked, i think they have improved just cant bring myself to trust them.

Lol. Hater's gonna hate...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Depends if you're keeping it.

I've always relied on the 12 month Applecare warranty, then my insurance.
You have it insured for the first 12 months though incase of accidental damage? Obv warranty wouldn't cover that.

It would be an 18 month contract and if I didn't want the iPhone 5 then i'd probably take AC for 6 months if that was possible.

AppleCare is for 2 more years after the initial year.

Insurance is your best bet. Then if it breaks outside of the warranty.. 'Ooops, I dropped it in the bath'

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I didn't want it to go wrong, I love the little thing, and I'm sure it wasn't just Shadowness, sure a couple of others recently took there's back a lot...

Ah wells, booked in for 3.00PM

Hopefully she'll be fit and I'll get a complimentary blowie.

Fit? It'll be a youngish guy, tattoos, scenester hair, probably a big hole in his ear with a painted on fake smile because he secretly hates Apple retail and swapping iPhones all day.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
AppleCare is for 2 more years after the initial year.

Insurance is your best bet. Then if it breaks outside of the warranty.. 'Ooops, I dropped it in the bath'
Flol!

If I didn't know you any better i'd say you were helping me to commit fraud. :eek:

I will be the first to admit I'm in the minority, I am just EXTREMELY unlucky. To be sent one dodgy MBP is rare, so receiving 3 is just amazing!!

I still have high regards to Apple, as I said in my thread, the Customer Support was great. They were very understanding that I should receive a perfect product.

MKV R32
It happens.

You'll get a brand new replacement. Apples build quality is second to none.

Look at the car industry, the world's most expensive cars have problems.

182 Turbo Project

Lolz, my iMac has been fine. Is it just the MB/MBP's? As I was looking at getting one soonish!