ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Building a Server?

I believe they have just finished the datacenter to house the server

rutherford.jpg

Clio 172
I'm curious.... How do you get a job doing stuff like this? (looking after networks etc), I have tons of knowledge (more than the OP before he started, don't mean it snidely pal!), I can program switches, routers, access points, set up servers, set up cabinets all through my current job, (telecomms engineer) and through my personal life (hobby!), although I have no qualifications in it what so ever (apart from a BTEC in IT), everything I have learnt through hands on experience

I guess it would have to be a trainee role to prove my knowledge? I would love to do it, even for £600 a month; it's been my hobby since I was young! If anyone could help id appreciate :)

I'm curious.... How do you get a job doing stuff like this? (looking after networks etc), I have tons of knowledge (more than the OP before he started, don't mean it snidely pal!), I can program switches, routers, access points, set up servers, set up cabinets all through my current job, (telecomms engineer) and through my personal life (hobby!), although I have no qualifications in it what so ever (apart from a BTEC in IT), everything I have learnt through hands on experience

I guess it would have to be a trainee role to prove my knowledge? I would love to do it, even for £600 a month; it's been my hobby since I was young! If anyone could help id appreciate :)
Sign up with some agencies. Tell them what you want to do and take it from there.

Clio 172
Sign up with some agencies. Tell them what you want to do and take it from there.

Sorry to take the piss/seem thick? and seem "spoon fed", but what sort of agencies? I didn't even know there was agencies in this sort of thing!

Thanks a lot for your reply

You can do the certs for stuff in your own time. Cisco, Microsoft etc then just apply for jobs.

How old are you?

Clio 172
You can do the certs for stuff in your own time. Cisco, Microsoft etc then just apply for jobs.

How old are you?

Yeah I was thinking about doing CCNA etc, it's not majorly cheap though, so will be a long process doing it that way.

Employment agencies.

Thanks ;) I meant what type? What would I search for? Network Engineer Agencies? Haha..

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I think you got the wrong meaning from what Spoonie wrote Jay; he didn't mean networking specific agencies, he just meant normal job agencies.

Clio 172
Yes I did! Thought he meant agencies specifically involved with that kind of thing! Thanks for pointing that help, and for your help!

Cookie;

I have tried looking at them sites, just everywhere wants solid qualifications AND experience, where as I only have the experience! Will have to keep looking though, and look into certifications I think.

*really wishes he did go to f**king uni now*

DCi
See!!! That gives hope! Lol, how did you go about getting in it? What do you do? If you could help me I'd be forever in your debt!

PM me if easier!

Post on an Internet forum and someone will tell you exactly what to do...

No wait, that's not it, hmm

Clio 172
Post on an Internet forum and someone will tell you exactly what to do...

No wait, that's not it, hmm

It was more of "I don't know anyone who does this job, so maybe asking people who do it is a good start"

I only wanted to know how he get into it without any qualifications etc, because everywhere iv seen you need tons.

I don't want him to tell me exactly what to do, it's called advice.

I was about 12 when I started managing a network with 2 domain controllers. Then by 16 I was Microsoft Certified. Now I'm at the stage where my experience is more than certs. (I've found this in every job I've gone for recently) + my list of experience is huge.

I also have my own vat registered Ltd company for contract work too ;).

Clio 172

How old are you?

Iv been looking at Cisco Certs, and there is a lot! And obviously being so expensive there's no way I could do them all out of my own pocket. So what ones would you say are "worthwhile?"
4d66be25-07d8-0182.jpg

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Must be nuts to pay those prices. And those courses are very intense! You really need to have a solid foundation of knowledge before taking them otherwise your head will hurt at the end of each day. They might get you through the exam but you won't remember all of it.

See if you have a Cisco academy near you. They normally run out of a college etc. think I did my CCNA for around £400 through one of them and they give you access to good Cisco online tuition, rather thank reading cisco press books - snooze.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Ps. The CCENT is only the first half of a CCNA. I would concentrate getting the full CCNA. If you have lots of experience it shouldn't be too bad.

Clio 172
Thanks for your replies guys :)

When you did the courses, was it over a few weeks? Iv seen one over a 10hour day, weekend? Can't see how that's possible!

I do have some experience, although not a great deal. Is there anything I can use to see if im really ready for it?

Them prices are much better! No wonder firebrand haven't stopped calling me lol.

I need to get CCNA done, I feel like that's one of the things holding me back from getting a job. But as work will never pay for me to do it, I'm going to have to take 2 weeks off to do some courses.

Thanks guys!

Clio 172
Btw..

Cr33do, did you mean all courses are like that? Or just the ones crammed into a short space of time?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
2 10 hour days would be pushing it slightly unless you already had a reasonable amount of knowledge in the area already.

Intensive courses are good for people who are already working in the area and have a decent amount of knowledge and want to get the certification done and dusted quickly.

They are not good if you want to actually learn as whilst you will learn stuff the pace is usually pretty quick that you're told what you need to know to pass an exam.

Friend of mine did the MCITP SA and EA course with Firebrand, he was there 12 days and did the lot, only him and another guy out of 13 managed to pass everything.

Another got offered the PRINCE2 foundation and practitioner at Firebrand dirt cheap as they were trialling doing it all in 3 days! He said not having looked at it before it was ok for foundation but that for practitioner it wasn't long enough.

Clio 172
Yeah I was thinking that CCNA is much more than a weekend worth lol. Adam, did you do it like one day a week or something? I really want to do it, so need to weigh up my iptions

Clio 172
2 10 hour days would be pushing it slightly unless you already had a reasonable amount of knowledge in the area already.

Intensive courses are good for people who are already working in the area and have a decent amount of knowledge and want to get the certification done and dusted quickly.

They are not good if you want to actually learn as whilst you will learn stuff the pace is usually pretty quick that you're told what you need to know to pass an exam.

Friend of mine did the MCITP SA and EA course with Firebrand, he was there 12 days and did the lot, only him and another guy out of 13 managed to pass everything.

Another got offered the PRINCE2 foundation and practitioner at Firebrand dirt cheap as they were trialling doing it all in 3 days! He said not having looked at it before it was ok for foundation but that for practitioner it wasn't long enough.

Cheers for clearing that up!

Yeah I did think it was strange, they had a test to see If you was ready for the course. The questions where stuff you'd be asked on the course haha so that really makes sense now! There's just loads of modules, but then again If you do it over 2 years are you more likely going to cover it all? Or is CCNA all the modules in one?

You used to be able to do CCNA in a couple of days. It was a piece of piss. I think there were only 3 levels back then, CCNA, CCNP and CCIE.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
I'm with Adam on this one. It takes time to do it properly. My college course was
1 evening a week for a year then own study time too. I passed with 941pts out of 1000 iirc. The following year it became a 2 year course.

The modern CCNA covers a heck of a lot of material which suprises a few who took it 10 years ago etc.

Try downloading something like VCE and dropping an up to date combined CCNA exam into it to test your current knowledge prior to making a decision.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I did the 2 week course, then revised for a week then took the combined exam, passed first time.

Got the ccda course next month, not massively looking forward to it, as it's a design course, im more of a doing person.