ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Building a Server?

dk

911 GTS Cab
I think it's about time dk specs him 10 million quid worth of kit, just so we can go the whole hog

I was just about to send a kit list to the pre-sales boys for them to spec up and price in the morning, might not bother now as i have some competition :(

I was just gonna suggest a checkpoint clustered firewall, 2 HP c7000 blade chassis's for redundancy running a flex fabric domain, with a 3PAR v800 8 node SAN with around 800x 600gb disks (important to have room for growth), then some Nexus 5000 switches for the FCOE, multi-vlan routing and VSANs etc.

Then i was going to suggest hosting it in somewhere like Telecity in Acton to make sure it has decent uptime and security, then maybe a 1gb line in to handle the internet and VMware View clients working from home.

Am i thinking too big? I was going for a normal 42U rack with no water cooling, so i didn't think i'd be going OTT at all?

I'd probably slap on some 6hr CTR mission critical support for it all too though and a managed offsite backup facility, just to b e sure.

Let me know if you like, and i'll bang a quote together :)

Hopefully one thing you have learnt from all the posts here is you really can't spec out a new system without a clear vision of what you need to achieve. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here but without you providing clear direction on I what's needed you are going to be overwhelmed with suggestions.

To be honest, as soon as you said you weren't that up to speed with server technology I thought it would be an uphill struggle. Your customer doesn't sound very tech savvy so this is where you would usually offer advise... Unfortunately if you are not aware of the option available it turns into a blind leading the blind situation. :(

If he knows you are using this for a learning experience then be honest with him and explain you are seeking free advice. Once you provide a clear plan I think you will surprised how simple this will become.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
TeleCity have a datacentre in the building I'm in, they could host it here then I could send him pictures of his servers on demand

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I was just gonna suggest a checkpoint clustered firewall, 2 HP c7000 blade chassis's for redundancy running a flex fabric domain, with a 3PAR v800 8 node SAN with around 800x 600gb disks (important to have room for growth), then some Nexus 5000 switches for the FCOE, multi-vlan routing and VSANs etc.

Am i thinking too big? I was going for a normal 42U rack with no water cooling, so i didn't think i'd be going OTT at all?

I'd probably slap on some 6hr CTR mission critical support for it all too though and a managed offsite backup facility, just to b e sure.

Let me know if you like, and i'll bang a quote together :)

Sounds perfect for my attic at home to stream some movies.

Best cash price ?

LOL you guys make my day :p Always find something funny going on in here.

I have a very very good idea from what people have been saying and suggesting I have googled most of the stuff in here and have took from what I have found out on google and used it to come up with a plan in my head it works and it should I cant see it not working to be fair. Just the RAID part is going to be the most fun! :)

Nick

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Not going to watch the whole thing.. but within the first 30 seconds he is already wrong. RAID1 does give an increase in read performance.

RAID1 and RAID 5 offer the same level of redundancy, but very different performance characteristics. Keep watching videos on it until you grasp this.

I set the RAID up through the BIOS dont I then install SBS but through the SBS installation I choose to load a driver disk or something so it knows to install to the RAID array?

Something like that right?

Think ill get onto google :)

Nick

Tank+4.jpg

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Why ? what can it be confused with ? calling it RAID10 (Ten) is fine by me. Everyone knows it's RAID 1+0.. stop being fussy.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I was refering to the guy in the video!!! He keeps saying 'raid one, five and ten'! nothing to do with poeple typing it!!! lol.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
lol thinking someone is an amateur becasue they say 'ten' instead of 'one zero' does not indicate an attitude problem.

A prime example why you shouldnt use the word 'ten' when speaking it: If your talking to someone who dosnt know a lot about computer systems (like most of the clients i have), saying 'RAID ten' instantly makes them think it must be twice as good as RAID 5.

lol thinking someone is an amateur becasue they say 'ten' instead of 'one zero' does not indicate an attitude problem.

A prime example why you shouldnt use the word 'ten' when speaking it: If your talking to someone who dosnt know a lot about computer systems (like most of the clients i have), saying 'RAID ten' instantly makes them think it must be twice as good as RAID 5.

I did :eek: lol I thought it went

RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Until I researched a bit further.

Nick

You must have some fun explaining 5 isn't 5x better than 1 ;)

No worries, moved completely off topic anyway.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Sorry, just before we get back on topic I wanted to add my two pence, I always call it raid 10, call me an amateur if you wish, but I can think of a few people who would disagree. It's no different to saying scuzzy instead of S C S I.......

oh and don't forget there is raid 1+0 and 0+1 ;)