ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burning Smell when booting it

Clio 182
I was driving quite hard today and i noticed a strong burning smell coming in from the engine, i slowed down and i could still smell it but not as much.

Once i had stopped i popped the bonnet and tried to sniff where it was coming from all i could tell that when i sniffed in front of the engine between the rad and the fuel rail i could smell it stong. Does anyone know what it could be?? The computer says the oil is fine but im thinking of topping it up anyway.
Hope someone can help.

I had a burning smell a while back, smelled rather like toasted tea cakes actually! turned out to be the alternator & had to have a new one put on. luckily still under warranty.

Oyster Card
Probably a studid question as no doubt you've already checked so don't take offence - You've checked for any leaks under the car around the manifold area with oil dripping onto it and burning. I don't know if the computer can detect a leak as us mere MK1'ers have to make do with our eyes ;)

My old Fiesta went through more oil than petrol.

www.renparts.co.uk
as above is a good point. Again Alternators are common with the burning smell, but if it gets specifically bad when you boot it then i'd lean towards it been clutch related especially as you describe the rough changes. 9k miles must mean it was a faulty clutch which again are uncommon, i assume its under warranty, if so book it in.