ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BURPSPEED FRENCH TROPHY MALLORY Race 1 Report

182cup & 172 racecar
After getting a phone call from James (bigash), asking about sharing the Friday's trackday at Mallory the day before our race, it seemed to good an opportunity to miss.

So Thursday after work off we set, bloomin hot day, and came across a crumpled motorbike and a mini skip in the middle of the A5!!! But that's another story.

Get settled into Mallory, no James, he's still at Freds, and will be for some time.
So it was just me, and the bedmonsta, watching the sun dip behind the trees washed down with a cold glass of Rose'.

I'd asked Mallory people if they would leave the gate open for our late coming buddy's, and very kindly agreed.

James and Lee turned up at some stupid hour looking like a couple of Hobo's, so we put the world to rights and bed.

Friday was a lovely day, only spoilt by Mr Javelin, who wouldn't let us dovetail the day with the cars, it either had to be one then the other, and no swapping back.

I let James have most of the day, as I only wanted to get rid of some rust, been along time since Combe.

Car didn't feel too bad, not brilliant but driveable, so everything was left as it was. Infact I was a little bored, so asked Adam if he wouldn't mind scrubbing in the new tyres for me, before he had said Yes, he was gone lol!!!

So for this I sent him off with a Jerry can and to return on Race day with it full. (thanks Adam)

Sat seemed strange, as qualifying wasn't until 12.00, which gave us loads of time to fiddle and chat and kick some tyres.
Qualified in 3rd behind Ian Collins 2nd and our newcomer James 1st (well done sir)
9440499918_217eb6bbdc_b.jpg

Race 1

Now I'm looking at the gap between the cars in front, thinking, if I go for it, will that gap disappear, tough call, lights out, we are off, s**t!! Ians stalled it (found out later was a gear issue), tried to follow James around Gerrards as close as I could, but Gordon in the 205 had got a blinding start, and was now alongside me, infact very close!!

With both cars moving about on cold tyres and a slowly closing gap, we touched, nightmare anywhere, but Gerrards with all the grid coming through! I expected the 205 to go either left or right, but it stayed in the middle, and with the rest of the pack bearing down on us, I just shoved Gordon out of the way (what else could I do?)
untitled.jpg

This allowed James to get away in front, but also the recovering Ian to catch up.

I held off Ian for a couple of laps, but I just didn't seem to have the pace and it would have been cruel to be a roadblock for 15mins.

Ian got a great exit from the Elbow, so it was time to see him through, bloomin heck, he was off like a scolded cat after James, I just kept going round and round watching the pair of them battle for the lead, you never know one of them might have made a mistake, and if so, I was there.
2013MalloryFrenchRace189_zps8037f52b.jpg

Back markers are fun, some more than others, but most of them saw us coming, and left a little room to squeeze through, so thanks for that :)

So that's how finished Ian, James, Me.
9437722831_2f8661b43d_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Really unlucky at Gerrards, the "aim straight for them" is normally the best policy when someone spins as its almost unheard of that they dont either roll outfield or roll infield when that happens, so I deffo would have done what you did as well, and even if you had braked to try and hit him slower it would have just meant someone else got a problem too as there would have been someone hitting the back of you as well.

Hope he didnt take it personally as that really is just a "racing incident" in its purest form IMHO.

Was great seeing you and James both having a good day reliability wise and both on the podium etc, and even the weather mainly held out :)

WRX
I'd have been off even quicker but part of me said "Of FFS, do I or don't I. Sod it just don't break it!"
Thanks again for that Tony! Great couple of days for me.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome mate, watched race 1 this morning. Looked like a good clean race after the first incident.

You must have been right on the edge of that seat when Ian was right on your back bumper lol.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I've watched race 1 and 2 now. Some great footage of battling going on in front of you!

That Ian fella seemed to be really on it. Is there much difference between the spec of the top 3?

RB Clio 182
Im by far from a racing driver, so ill ask why do you seem to change from 3rd to 4th really quickly? Is it to stop it spinning? I notice it mainly at the same corner at 1:10 secs, it might just be that fast you need to change up lol.

Last edited:

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I figured it was to stop spinning and so he didn't have to change gear out of the corner and change into it instead?

WRX
If it's Devil's Elbow (the left hander after the hairpin) there's two reasons:
1. You soon run out of revs as you go downhill and....
2. It seems to settle the car better for the drop and adverse camber.

​It's a really weird bend when you drive it, when you get it right, it still sometimes doesn't feel it.

edit: yes it is Devil's Elbow

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
I'll try and do race 2 tomorrow, I intended t do it tonight, but been busy with race stuff, my phones gone flat twice today ffs.

WRX
It's not all about screaming the nuts off it, and yes Adams right, I guess he tried it.;)
As I guessed beforehand, yours is affected more than mine. As I showed you, it is possible to hang on to third in mine but only just. Don't really want to be grabbing another gear mid bend.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Ian certainly took advantage of that situation quite well lol!

172 Race Car
Tony only does French Trophy now, hes too old to race a CSCC 40mins straight

31st August – Cadwell Park – French Trophy
28th Spetember – Oulton Park – French Trophy​
20th October – Donington – TARC Winter Series