ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

172 Cup
so when did you win the lottery and get the time? Wow this is some serious work! Lets just hope your a good race driver now! Get some vids of you racing! Il sponsor you with my clothing company haha! Get you some stickers for ur car!

182cup & 172 racecar
so when did you win the lottery and get the time? Wow this is some serious work! Lets just hope your a good race driver now! Get some vids of you racing! Il sponsor you with my clothing company haha! Get you some stickers for ur car!

If you are serious then PM me.

172 Race Car
2983.jpg

Bedford Pit lane

2981.jpg

We did move the unpopular sticker tho

2982.jpg

We did quite a bit of tinkering yesterday, nothing worthy of an update. Were getting slightly frustrated with the whole project now. The snow really came at a bad time as its still not been driven at more than 15mph (apart from on the dyno)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
shame, you didn't get to have a go out yesterday. when you looking on getting next test?

172 Race Car
shame, you didn't get to have a go out yesterday. when you looking on getting next test?
Not sure yet. Looking into it, its got to be soon or not at all. Its getting put to bed in mid March untill our first race at Brands in May. Got a lot of small stuff to sort out before that. Worst case senario(sp) is it wont see the track untill qualy at Brands. But if thats what happens then so be it.

Who did you book the beford day with Jay ?
Open Track. Trackdays.co.uk have most of the uk trackdays listed and you can book on there if your looking to do one

Qashcow
The weren't unpopular, just looked a bit funky. It's a real shame yesterday went tits up, it couldn't have snowed on a worse day! Keep smiling guys, it will all come together soon :)

172 Race Car
The weren't unpopular, just looked a bit funky. It's a real shame yesterday went tits up, it couldn't have snowed on a worse day! Keep smiling guys, it will all come together soon :)
Were unpopular with one of the owners ;) much better where they are now.

172 Race Car
28th Febuary 2010 - Door Cards And Fuel System

We hadn't touched the car for over a week. After some disappointments and problems we needed a break from it. We started early this morning with renewed enthusiasm.

First we took the doors off to make it easier to make up some door panels.

2989.jpg
2990.jpg

Using some flexible plastic board we carefully marked out the shape required and secured to the door frame using self taping screws. On the passenger side we used the stock door release cable and changed the end to an eyelet to attach it to the door. On the drivers side we made a new release cable as the stock one was just too short. Then added a strap to help close the door. Just something random we found lying around.

2984.jpg
2985.jpg

28th%20February%202010.jpg

The next job was the spare wheel well where the fuel system lives. It has to be covered. Using the same board as the doors we made up a big panel to cover the whole well. Then added a removable cover incase we need to get to the pump at any point.

2988.jpg
2991.jpg

2992.jpg

A bit of time spent tidying the wiring loom and we called it a night

2994.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
Its looks all so simple when you see a few pictures,but that and a few other little bits and pieces took both of us all bloomin day,and I mean all day.

182cup & 172 racecar
Tell me about it Fred,it had almost got got the stage of getting me down,on the way back from yours the other week I was all for leaving it on fire along the hard shoulder of the M40,no joke.Again thanks for your help matey:D

172 Race Car
Ive never seen Tony so down/pissed off as that Friday night.

BUT yesterday has made up for all that in spades.

UPDATE IN A MIN!!

172 Race Car
2nd March 2010 - Final Calibration

After 2 previous attempts, lots of bad luck, things breaking, loom problems, throttle linkage problems (caused by using the rubbish stock cable) , we took another trip over to see Matt at Tour-De-Force. Were sure he wasn't our biggest fan by this point. It turned out to be 3rd time lucky, although the car did try its best to defeat us yet again.

We arrived just after lunch and got the car into the Tour-De-Force dyno cell.

2995.jpg

Things were going well and the car was reacting to the changes made very well, the cam shifter was switched on and a big jump in power made. We were very happy as all the previous problems seemed to be gone and it was all going well. No problems with the throttle cable and Matt was much happier too. Then Matt had to abort a run as the battery/charge light came on. A quick check over and all the connections were fine. Started up again and it began to charge. We carefully monitored the battery voltage but stopped the car again quite quickly when it got to 18 volts and still climbing. The regualtor had failed in the alternator and we just couldnt leave it connected on any further runs. So with the battery going flat a few more quick runs to adjust the fuel and park on part throttle and then we had to have a break while we charged the battery back up. It has slightly affected the final figures and Matt would like us to go back at some point during the season to tidy the spark map up a little. Its 99.9% perfect but the alternator died at just the wrong point.

Yet more problems to sort out before it hits the track but significant progress. Final figures of 198.5bhp and 168lbf of tourqe was a great result. 200bhp and 170lbf would of been nice but with a dead alternator and running on 95RON fuel we were not far off.

Burpspeed.jpg

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mhIeJStFugQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mhIeJStFugQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

A HUGE thanks to Matt at Tour-De-Force Power Engineering for his hard work, late nights and massive patience. Thanks also to Paul at RSTuning and John at AT Power.

170 I think if memory serves. Good power and decent torque with a really nice flat curve. On 95 octane fuel it won't do much more than that! :)

172 Race Car
what did it do at the wheels? 168ish?

what was the solution with the throttle linkage in the end?
Binned the stock cable and fitted a Jenvey one. Used some washers to space out the bracket. made sure everything has plenty of clearence and works spot on.

Thanks for your help with it mate

172 Race Car
I could see that ater looking at Bone's car, never done the ITB thing before or really paid much attention

Qashcow
well done guys, i cannot imagine the hard work that everyone has gone through with this.

Tony, if you do ever burn it on the M40, let me know first so i can put it out and bring it back home :D

Nissan Skyline
Hi Guys,

VERY WELL DONE! Looks like a nice result for power there. Lots of torque certainly - and I know what you mean by not quite being able to say 200bhp and 170lb/ft, but on a different day etc etc..

I know you were very busy and late so I don't expect you managed it, but did you try a run without the airbox attached? I'm interested to know what affect it had on your torque.

I don't suppose you'll know until it's on track, but do you think it was worth the hassle over using the standard inlet?

P.S. Thanks for the mention!

John.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome work guys! Should be an absolute beast to drive!!

Any chance you have a bigger version of this?

2994.jpg

Cheers!

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Well done Jay and Tony! Car looks f**king AWESOME!:cool: Love the pops and bangs. Any reason why you had it mapped on 95RON? So nearly finished just in time for mini Burps arrival!:D

172 Race Car
Had it mapped on 95RON as that is the fuel we intend to use. 99RON tends to go off more if not used. The car might sit for several weeks between races so pointless.

That and the fact that we can drain some fuel out of the chainsaws and leaf blowers to use if needed ;)

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Anything for our biggest fan! What u want that for anyway?

Was interested to see what you'd done with the gearbox 'base' (looks like you've painted it black?) and what sorta things your control panel had on it :)

When can we expect the release of the official "I'm with Burpspeed" apparel? :p