ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

172 Race Car
Yea Gearstick plastic has been trimmed down with the dremmel to remove the centre console suports and then sprayed black.

Switch panel is:

ECU------------ START----------- PIT----------- INDICATORS

WASHER-------- WIPER -----------RAIN ------------DEMIST

Fuel pump overide and PAS OFF in the glovebox

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Had it mapped on 95RON as that is the fuel we intend to use. 99RON tends to go off more if not used. The car might sit for several weeks between races so pointless.

That and the fact that we can drain some fuel out of the chainsaws and leaf blowers to use if needed ;)

Ahhh, makes sense. Good stuff. That torque curve is fantastic!

Ahhh, makes sense. Good stuff. That torque curve is fantastic!

Low end could be better but the dead alternator and 11.8V battery voltage put pay to any more calibration work that day. When it's back again I'll optimise that as we should see low RPM torque come up and the 3 - 4K range lift a bit to form a smooth curve over the rev range.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Is this on a stock engine?
These look very good and lots of low down torque would be ideal for my hillclimber.

182cup & 172 racecar
Very much so yes,an old 172 cup engine that has been stood for a year in the corner covered in dust and s**t,oil change and in thats it.

Low down torque is a lot to do with 100mm extentions so I am told.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Yep, 90k cup engine, oil change, new plugs and a wash. Its a good old girl

Nice results on that on engine of that age. Nice to know that the engine can still produce good figures on that sort of mileage.

172 Race Car
Have a feeling that the old engine (that we built the car with) would of made more, it was, um, quite free. Lol

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Will have to look at getting some of these in the summer, may have to find some chimneys for the kids to sweep first tho ! Lol

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Just read on the hillclimb forum that we can now run list 1b tyres as well as 1a which means in laymans terms the 1a tyres t1r that I have just bought are no good as to be competitive you will need 1b tyres 888's and the like :mad::mad:
And just to add abit more into the wounds they are out of stock everywhere grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr £300 on tyres wasted and I sold my 888's to jonny of here.

182cup & 172 racecar
Andrew,I see what you mean now after looking that picture.The bracket had been undone on one side for us to do some work,yes so looks like it's not in the housing.

172 Race Car
Nearly a month since the last update as things have been on hold recently. There wasn't/isn't much left to do.

We did a few jobs on the weekend tho..........

28th March 2010 - Alternator Fix And Decals

Not much to update as we have been taking a break from the car recently. Todays activities mainly centred around tidying up our spares and organising the stuff we need to take to races.

We did however manage to fix the alternator. A new regulator was needed. We also changed the pulley to a bigger one. The alternator originally came from a Volvo so probably isn't used to 7,500rpm engine speeds. A bigger pulley and a longer belt should see it turning at similar speeds to when its fitted to the Volvo. Some more livery applied too!

004.jpg

28th%20March%202010.jpg
006.jpg

007.jpg
008.jpg

011.jpg
012.jpg

31st March 2010 - Unexpected Shakedown!

The snow at Bedford back in Febuary ment that the car still hadn't been driven on circuit.

Today we took the car up to Silverstone to get a noise test done on the exhaust. There was a Renaultsport trackday taking place. They didn't have a hand held sound meter, only the meter fixed to the pit wall. An instructor volunteered to drive it by to get a reading. In the end he did 7 laps before returing to the pits and saying 'its great'. No strange noises, it went straight, stopped stright and everything worked as it should. He was quite impressed with how well the engine picked up.

We were totaly unprepaired for it to hit the track, the suspension still hasn't been setup and we didn't even check the tyre pressures.

BUT, for the car to be driven by a professional for its first run out was very helpfull.

a2.jpg

172 Race Car
Valver wheels have got PE2's on for kocking about with and monsoon conditions. Main race wheels are Pro-Race 2's

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
ah yes, thought they may be....good set-up then really, guessing the added wait of the phase 2's suit wet and knocking about on

look forward to catching up at combe

Qashcow
great news jay and tony. was surprised when you text me the other day about this, a bit out of the blue. i cant see who the 'first call' stickers are but i recognise the decals, which company is that?

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Nice one guys. I take it you both got to drive it for the first time? Any baby news yet Jay?:D

182cup & 172 racecar
No an instructor took it round as didn't go prepared to even get it off the trailer,thought it would be a quick meter up the exhaust and go but they didn't have one.

Golf GTD Mk7
Brave boys letting a stranger drive it for the first time. Flat out? Presume Jeremy let you on for free ;)

Qashcow
cheers for that Tony, throught i recognised then, theyre about 300 yards down the road from me lol.

id be papping it sat on the pitwall. ''what if'' going through my head constantly

Great write up and good to see a road-going Clio make the transition to racing (very few non Cup Race Cars actually racing, somewhat surprisingly)

Will do my best to get to Brands on May 9th, would be good to see it 'live' and grab some shots.

172 Race Car
**UPDATES**

(Tony has been busy)

Friday 2nd April 2010 - Exhaust

After getting a baseline noise test at Silverstone this week (and a unexpected shakedown) we knew we had decibels to spare. The limit for racing is 105db. Our car only measured 94db.

During the problems we had on the dyno, we took the decision to remove the cat and lambda sensor, replacing it with a straight de-cat pipe and running the car with open loop fuelling.

But the regulations state we MUST run a cat.

On taking some advice from Matt at Tour-De-Force again, we chose not to refit the stock unit and ordered a 200cell aftermarket cat. This was fitted in place of the rear silencer box. With it located here it shouldn't affect power that much due to the gas speeds being lower after they have passed through the centre silencer.

The cat has an angled inlet so it matched up with the existing system quite well.

400.jpg

Size comparison to the old silencer and a fag packet. The cat is very small!

403.jpg
401.jpg

Very pleased with the fit and custom made bracket

402.jpg
405.jpg

404.jpg
414.jpg

415.jpg
413.jpg

We need to get it noise tested again now to make sure we are still under the limit..........

Monday 5th April 2010 - Brake Ducts

Lots more small jobs finished off today. Brake ducts being the main one. The car was back in the workshop at Burpspeed HQ and up on the ramp.

411.jpg

The front fog light holders have been fitted with air intake trumpets and ducting, these have been taken straight from the old track car. Deflectors were made from some heat shield off cuts to direct the airflow towards the brakes.

418.jpg
419.jpg

420.jpg
423.jpg

424.jpg
431.jpg

432.jpg
429.jpg

A few other small jobs, more roll cage padding added and an AMB timing transponder was fitted in the nearside front arch. For lap timing at the race track. A very expensive little red box. And finally a wash and coat of wax.

408.jpg
425.jpg

427.jpg
407.jpg