ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Real shame about camera turning its self off another 5 mins would of seen the pass!

Did the data logger work on the dash, I know James had his fitted.

Cup In bits
Good races but that wash a hell of a knock for a start line bash.

I take it you got past the GTO in the end? 1st in class?

Your summary of Cadwell matches mine - the zero run off is scary, you have to be committed to be quick.
I wouldn't like to do it in a race environment - especially not with those big turbo barges that don't seem to handle too well lol

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Before anyone asks that is the roof scoop inlet you can see above Tony. its normally not seen as I put the rear footage there

Race 1
That was quality, thanks!

Guessing he got tagged on the 1st lap hence the spin?

I could feel the frustration when the car in front kept walking away on the straights and coming back in through the corners...

182cup & 172 racecar
Guessing he got tagged on the 1st lap hence the spin?

I could feel the frustration when the car in front kept walking away on the straights and coming back in through the corners...

Lol, managed it all on my own Adam, turned in a little sharp and tyres were still a bit cold, my own fault.

​Its in a post a few pages back, I linked the Subaru filming me do it.

I knew I'd get him eventually, just a matter of time.

Clio.
They did a good job repairing the track after a mate of mine went off there the other month....:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 104
  Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Lol, managed it all on my own Adam, turned in a little sharp and tyres were still a bit cold, my own fault.

​Its in a post a few pages back, I linked the Subaru filming me do it.

I knew I'd get him eventually, just a matter of time.

Oops, I missed that... will have a look now. Never mind, you won't do it again I'm sure :D

Clio.
Kenny in the civic stopped dead in the tree/bank while Luke went end to end a couple of times down the track in the integra. Both were ok. Although Kenny stretched his belts.......

I will stick Kennys incar up, in a mo.
I always think of cadwell as a mini nurburgring.:cool:

Cup In bits
JESUS they were going at it, there should be barriers there so you can't hit tree's.

Any more footage of the race also? Looks worth a watch.

Clio.
Project 8 racing saloons championship, always close and as you can see quite hard.
I built these two to compete in the series a while back.
This photo was taken from the pitlane at the start of the Victor Meldrew race we were invited to do.(its a handicap race where the fast boys start at the back of the grid, its great to watch)..unfortunately Oli had this happen to him.
After 30 mins in the medical centre he was using his iphone on ebay searching for a new shell hehehe!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hS1MlgeOVXY

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Ok, here we go.

CADWELL PARK 31st August 20013

Having always managed to "avoid" Cadwell in previous years, as It fell on GP weekend with TT, now was the time to give it a go.
Now only having driven it many years ago on a track day, I thought it best to book a the test day on the Friday (more expense),
James kindly offered to come down to give a hand, and stick his data logger in.

The first session was just for sighting really, just to get a feel for the place, and to see which way it went. All I can say is, wow!!

Fantastic flowing circuit, lots of blind turn in's, and very little room :eek:

Second session, decided to go a little quicker, and felt that it was quick enough until James told me 1.49!

Third session, still couldn't get under the 49's

Had a good look at the data at lunchtime and gave myself a good taking to before going out for the afternoon sessions.

Bingo, constant 1.46's, that 3 sec seemed alot, just needed to get passed that barrier. Now knowing that Mr Collins is capable of 1.43's, I needed to push more and more.

I tried and tried but just couldn't get any quicker, so that was that, I think I had reached another barrier that I wasn't too keen to cross.
Day over, BBQ beer and bed.

Sat Race day.

Decided not to change anything on the car, as it felt fine, it was just me.

Qualifying wasn't too bad, managed to get about 2 clear laps in,(why do people think it's necessary to get in the way, when it's so obvious that you are quicker than them?)

Stuck in a 1.45 and quali 5th

2013CadwellNipponPractice54_zps269e2842.jpg

After Quali I decided to put some new tyres on the front and a set of new pads, as it all had taken a bashing on Friday.

Mike and Nick did the checks and refueling, James was running around taking tyre pressures and temps, and I had a toasted teacake and a brew.
Time fly's when you're having fun, next thing we were being called to the collecting area, that was a rush as I still had my shorts on.

Mike, Nick and James were also on wasp alert, didn't want any of those little critters in the car with me.

On the green flag lap, I should have warmed the tyres up more, it came and bit me later on.

Red lights are on....GO, BANG.. wtf was that??. It was Mark in his turbo thingy, getting a little sideways off the line, then trying to get into my drivers door.

Never mind, dropped a couple of places, but the car was still going, now I thought it was tight before, but nothing can prepare you for a full grid of cars attempting to get around the first few corners at Cadwell, Jason was up and over the grass, (where was he going to arrive back if at all).
2013CadwellNipponRace109_zpsaf7ed428.jpg

We all made it, phew, Karen was behind me in the Subaru, so I needed to keep her there, whoops, turned into Charlies to quickly and the back started to go, "I've got it, no I haven't" and around we go sh.t (told you tyres weren't warm enough)

ScreenHunter_02Sep011950_zpsc712e6d3.jpg

This left me at the back, so it was time for some fun. Just try and pass as many as you can I thought, and must try and catch/pass Sam in the other Clio (sorry Sam).
I had a great time really, not done so much overtaking in a long time.
2013CadwellNipponRace112_zps1733298c.jpg

2013CadwellNipponRace129_zpsd3c601c9.jpg

Now starting to catch up with quick boy's

2013CadwellNipponRace1110_zpsc2cf7aac.jpg

Chased Mark down as hard as I dare without hitting him, and with a lap to go, he span at the bottom of the Goose Neck, sorted.

6th overall and 2nd FT car home, not bad from the back of the pack. Really enjoyed it.

Left to right. Me- Ian- Sam
2013CadwellNipponRace1145_zpsc03d36e6.jpg

Race 1 Vid.

Last edited by a moderator:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The way you went through the pack was ace. And the car is just superb round bends, something to aspire too.

172 Race Car
Theres nothing special on it to make it like that. Just well setup, as in balance. We spent ages trying to get it just right for how we wanted it.

Far too many cars ive been in that have tons of fancy bits (expensive coilvers etc) and understeer like sh!t. You need a slightly playful setup to make it quick.

My old track car drove like it had castors for back wheels, Huge fun and very quick on a trackday bit no way we could race it like that. Heck, some people couldnt even drive it

DSC_0164.jpg

_ZZZ2284.jpg

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I reckon you should start from the back more often Tony. . Makes for a great video. That car is awesome, credit to everyone involved. .

Cup In bits
^^^^

"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver"

The tustle a few corners before was the bad driving IMO, them two guys that crashed were unlucky in a way in that situation.

Jay does the racecar still run without the RARB after fitting the PMS kit?

172 Race Car
Jay does the racecar still run without the RARB after fitting the PMS kit?

As Tony says we dont run an ARB now. Just the Pure beam stiffening kit but fitted to a 182 Cup rear beam
(Thicker stock roll bar than 172, about 2mm iirc)

When we tested it it was 'almost' the same balance wise. Just needed a small tweek on dampers to get the same 'feel' we had before.